PDA

View Full Version : Skunks!

brook
April 20th, 2012, 03:01 AM
Okay, I know they are beautiful animals and all...but.......they....uum....STINK! It's that wonderful time of year where the skunks come out of hibernation and into my back yard. When they spray outside, my house smells like skunk for the next couple of days. If this particular one, that is currently smelling things up, doesn't knock it off, I'm going to need to do something drastic. Hopefully he'll find someone else to bless. :icon_confused:

HandsOffItsMine
April 20th, 2012, 03:50 AM
OMG, I know all about those critters. In La Verne, we lived in the Foothills, the guy behind us owned 25 acres into the LA National Forests. Needless to say we had Brown Bears, Mountain Lions, Raccoons, Deer, Rattlers, and Skunks!

We lived in a tri-level and one winter a family of b&w's decided to move in under the raised living/dining area - Musty smell that you couldn't get rid off. TG they never sprayed under the house but the musk was enough to make you want to run. We called the Humane Society and they brought out traps, caught them but would release them up the hill. They would get back in and we couldn't figure it out. It looked like everything was sealed. I ended up sprinkling flour around the house to see where they were going and by the old crawl space was a small vertical recess 1 1/2 wide x 3 tall just behind a step that a young one could still squeeze through and the parents were sitting outside. They looked so funny with all that flour stuck to them.

Needless to say, Don ran to Home Depot and got quick dry cement and sealed it up. That was the last of them living under the house, but they would still come by and look for food for the longest time. The HS guy said they don't bother to release them far away, because they are like cats, they have a homing device to find their way home to where they know there is a food source.

Our chihauhaus have been sprayed by them as well, no fun doing tomato juice baths at 1 am. lol

Hope he goes two doors over...:)

rebeccas-sewing
April 20th, 2012, 04:16 AM
My girlfriend's dog got sprayed once. It took several baths to get rid of the smell. We get them in our neighborhood in California every now and then. Not a pleasant aroma. The animal that's such a menace in our yard are those darned opossums. I have several stories about those critters.

tortugaquilter
April 20th, 2012, 05:00 AM
For the last two years skunks have been driving me crazy. They keep getting under my foundation. We trapped 9 one year, and 10 the other and that didn't get all of them! We live trap them and then move them to a wooded area. The latest one comes up to my sliding glass door at night and scratches at it. Then looks really mad that I don't let him in. We have to look out before opening the patio door because I am always afraid one will be waiting on me and either spray me or much worse, come in the house!

csarina
April 20th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Talking about critters reminded me of my husbands cousins wife. The lived in CA and had a small pond with fish in.

One Night H woke up and could hear a noise out in the front yard, so she went to the window and there as bold as brass was a racoon......eating the fish out of the pond. Boy did she get mad, she rushed outside shouting and banging a saucepan lid with a wooden spoon and scared the racoon off. Then she realised she was standing out in the street in her nightdress and all the neighbours were looking out their windows!! She shot inside like a bullet from a gun.

She told me this story on the phone, I could not stop laughing.....shame, the raccon had all her fish, so the next time we went over we filled the pond in and made it into a bog garden.

I really felt for her, H was a very refined lady and being seen in the street in her nightdress was rather shocking for her. which made it even funnier, although she did see the funny side. She was such a lovely lady, very generous and kind. She passed away in 2007 and we miss her so much.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 20th, 2012, 05:30 AM
For the last two years skunks have been driving me crazy. They keep getting under my foundation. We trapped 9 one year, and 10 the other and that didn't get all of them! We live trap them and then move them to a wooded area. The latest one comes up to my sliding glass door at night and scratches at it. Then looks really mad that I don't let him in. We have to look out before opening the patio door because I am always afraid one will be waiting on me and either spray me or much worse, come in the house!Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty.....!

Jean Sewing Machine
April 20th, 2012, 05:34 AM
Talking about critters reminded me of my husbands cousins wife. The lived in CA and had a small pond with fish in.

One Night H woke up and could hear a noise out in the front yard, so she went to the window and there as bold as brass was a racoon......eating the fish out of the pond. Boy did she get mad, she rushed outside shouting and banging a saucepan lid with a wooden spoon and scared the racoon off. Then she realised she was standing out in the street in her nightdress and all the neighbours were looking out their windows!! She shot inside like a bullet from a gun.

She told me this story on the phone, I could not stop laughing.....shame, the raccon had all her fish, so the next time we went over we filled the pond in and made it into a bog garden.

I really felt for her, H was a very refined lady and being seen in the street in her nightdress was rather shocking for her. which made it even funnier, although she did see the funny side. She was such a lovely lady, very generous and kind. She passed away in 2007 and we miss her so much.
My sister had a fish pond about the size of your kitchen sink. Raccoons got her little tiny 2" goldfish over and over again. Once, she looked out and a 3' tall Great Blue Heron was in the pond scooping up the little goldfish! Ah, nature!

Blondie
April 20th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty.....!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/funnies/AnimatedlaughingDog.gif

When I read the original post, that is EXACTLY what I was thinking. Love that commercial.

quiltingtrish
April 20th, 2012, 08:06 AM
My sister works in a huge warehouse at a large government depot here. There was a smell one morning that resembled electrical wires burning so the fire department was called. The warehouse was cleared out and after a few hours of everyone trying to find the 'fire', someone next to Gini said that it was her - she smelled like a skunk!! At that precise moment, her cell phone rang. The school was calling to tell her to come pick up her son, who also smelled like a skunk. Turns out, the dog was sprayed when he went outside the night before - brought the smell into the house which got on them, which put it in her van and they carried it to work and school. They were both off a few days trying to get the smell off them, the van and the house. She even thought she smelled wires burning in her home that morning and mentioned it to her husband so he could check around while she headed out for work.
Not funny at the time, but sure is now.

Thanks for the giggles this morning.

Hugs,

Monique
April 20th, 2012, 08:31 AM
I was plagued by skunks one year as well. They got into my crawl space, and they burrowed their way in, the covered my water pump with dirt and the darn thing stopped working. Plumber would not come until skunk left. Needless to say we had to shoot it, it would not leave.

I was told that the skunk will follow the mice. I have also heard that if you spread human hair around as it does not like it.

Live trapping is also another option.

Genny
April 20th, 2012, 12:29 PM
We live inside the city limits but theres about 22 acres of land behind our house so a few times every year we get visits by skunks and to say we enjoy them would be an all out lie! They are definately little stinkers! I'm sure our local animal control officer hates it when he sees our name come up on the ID caller because he knows we have a skunk in a live cage and hes going to have to come and get it. I've watched him a few times and its kind of entertaining to see him walk SO cautiously towards the cage with that large blanket held in front of him...

Carolyn23
April 21st, 2012, 12:38 AM
Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty.....!

You are hilarious! One of the best commercials out there!

alliek
April 26th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Here I live in a fairly rural area, and while I know they are around, have been fortunate enough not to have any "join" us at home. However, when visiting in Rhode Island in a semi-suburban-city setting at my daughters home, I have been woken up by their wonderful fumes coming in the window on "garbage" day when all the cans are out front and it is like Thanksgiving to them! Some of them are huge. My daughter is always careful when putting out the trash, especially if it is in the dark. Well I guess we have to remind ourselves that they are God's creatures too. Nice to have little troubles and be able to smile and laugh about them.

auntiemern
April 27th, 2012, 02:25 AM
Reminds me of the time we were camping and had a mom and her 4 babies walk right under the picnic table I was sitting at. DH just looked at me and said "Don't move" with a real funny look on his face, and told me what was happening. As soon as they cleared the table, I was in the camper before he even saw me get up. The kids were rolling, didn't think I could move that fast. Oh yes I can, if the situation arises. Also was coming home one day, and saw what I thought was a man in his yard with his dogs. Oh no, they were not dogs at all, but 2 pet skunks walking around in his yard while he watched. SMH

brittyboo07
April 27th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Come snuggles with Momma!!!!! Sorry I could not resist!

We had a skunk issue a couple of years ago they got under the house and then couldn't figure out how to get out! We could hear them under the house but I wasn't going under there. They sprayed in our den area and it was awful! I went to school (college) and was sitting in the hallway and one of the office ladies walked by and said oh it smells like a skunk up here so I said yeah that would be me our house got hit last night! I was so embarrased about it but what can you do.

Once when I was in high school I went walking on our farm with the dog and he got sprayed by a skunk. Stupid thing wouldnt listen to me to leave it alone. So I went home to tell my dad and I walk in he said you smell like a skunk get out of this house! So I went outside and just assumed that someone would come out to check on me and direct me as what to do next. They did not! I got upset and walked around the house to the my moms office window and got her attention. She told me to come inside so I could take a bath. She got all over my dad about how he handled the situation lol we laugh about that to this day!