PDA

View Full Version : Help, I can't think of what it's called

AngelaLashley
April 20th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Hi everyone. I haven't been on much this week as I have been hard at work getting things ready for a local boutique that will be selling some of my things. I am nervous as heck but excited too! I have most everything under control, I just need to get started on certain items but I'm stuck when it comes to one of the requests. I need to find a tutorial for those pot holder thingies that are for the skillet handles but I can't for the life of me think of what they are called? I'm thinking just wing it and give it a shot, I mean it seems pretty simple? But, just in the off chance that someone here can help, I thought I'd post about it?

bkthomas
April 20th, 2012, 01:12 AM
I went surfin the net and the only thing I could find was handle sleeve - sounds good to me! Enjoy! ,Kathy

AngelaLashley
April 20th, 2012, 01:58 AM
Thanks Kathy, handle sleeve sounds good to me! Now maybe I can find a tute on it?...lol

rebeccas-sewing
April 20th, 2012, 04:03 AM
Do you know what to do if you can't find a tute? Here's what I'd if I was going to make them. I'd quilt some fabric using insul-bright as the batting (diamond pattern, squares, whatever), and cut out that long u-shape. I'd serge the ends, turn them under 1/2" and topstitch." Put right sides together and sew all the way around leaving the end open. Turn it and top-stich. The only question I'd have is how long and how wide to cut the shape so it's universal. I'd probably pull out a bunch of my pots and pans and measure them to see and add 2'' to the width and length for ease, hem at the top, seam allowances and top stitiching. I'd consider putting some binding around the edges instead of top-stitching but I'd be afraid it would be hard on such a small item. I'd probably try it on one and see if I was successful. I might add addtional length to the binding to turn into a loop on one side so it could be hung on a hook. Definitely, making a practice one would be the way to go if you can't find a pattern. I used to have one of those pot-handle sleeves many years ago. All my pots and pans have handles that don't get hot so it disappeared somewhere along the way.

Show us a picture when you get them made I'd like to see what you ended up doing to make them.

rebeccas-sewing
April 20th, 2012, 07:02 AM
After giving it some more thought, I'd put wrong sides together, sew a 1/4" seam and add binding. I think it would work just fine. Gosh, now I want to make some. Those would make great hostess gifts along with a couple of pretty pot holders. Gotta tuck that one away in the memory bank! Don't forget some pretty dish towels!!!

Blondie
April 20th, 2012, 07:05 AM
http://sewing.about.com/od/homedecprojects/ss/panhandlepotholder.htm OR
http://lipstickandlaundry.blogspot.com/2010/03/pot-holder-handle-tutorialakk-pot.html

here is one potholder. Rebecca gave some good directions, though! I make them all the time. My favorite kitchen accessory since I use my iron skillets for everything on top of the stove or in the oven.

rebeccas-sewing
April 20th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Those look alot simpler than what I was proposing!

Bubby
April 20th, 2012, 09:12 AM
My Auntie keeps me supplied with panhandlers and I use them not only for my cast iron skillet handles but I also use one for storing my curling iron. They're a nifty item!

AngelaLashley
April 21st, 2012, 04:00 PM
Thanks ladies your input has been most helpful! I use insul-brite already on my regular pot holders, so I already have some on hand, I will give these ideas a try and will deffy post pics when I'm done!