PDA

View Full Version : Costumes finished, let the quilting commence!

Jean Sewing Machine
April 16th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I've been fighting lack of time because of lots of family events, and my own foot dragging, but I've finally finished costuming my two April shows. I was tied up most of Saturday and Sunday with grandkids, they pooped me out from our sleepover. I went to bed early Sunday night, so didn't get going on finishing my project until very early this morning, 3:30 a.m. Got the last hem done at 8:30 this morning, and I am ready to take them to the theatre tonight for tech week. I know there will be some tweaking, but I AM VERY GLAD TO BE DONE with this. The two shows are "Exit The King" and "The Foreigner". All I can say is " Whooooppppee! I'm finished!"

I saw in one of the early MSQC YouTube videos someone posted yesterday that Jenny was a costume designer and quilter before she started her shop. Ms. Daisy designed costumes also. Has anyone else on the forum done this kind of work? We should compare notes!

Gayle8675309
April 16th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Yay for you! Are you going to get your long arm set up soon and start playing with that? Enjoy yourself! :)

Jean Sewing Machine
April 16th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Yay for you! Are you going to get your long arm set up soon and start playing with that? Enjoy yourself! :)Yes, that is my intention, clean out the space first. Can't wait! I ordered thresd from that Thread Co, need that to ger started.

EnumclawGramma
April 16th, 2012, 12:11 PM
OHhhhhhhhhhhh good for you! Have a really good time and let us know how it's going! (excited for ya!)

K. McEuen
April 16th, 2012, 12:13 PM
I've worked on costumes before, both for plays and dance. I also worked for Levi Strauss as a Marker Planner (tweaked all their patterns to make them right) for seven years. Probably why I don't like sewing clothes much anymore. Got tired of it.

Sandy Navas
April 16th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I have done a bit of volunteer costume work for local productions - wish I had the time and energy to get involved again as I thoroughly enjoyed it. First task was props though and I made bats that flew through the audience for a play - they even had red flashing eyes. Made costumes for the WACs in South Pacific, suits for A Christmas Story . . .

Jean Sewing Machine
April 16th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Sandy, sounds very exciting! My biggest show was "The Producers". Making those showgirls with sausages, pretzels and beer on their heads was a particular challenge!

Pictures on my blog www.soooowht.blogspot.com. Summer 2010 posts. We built 350 costume pieces, myself 150 of them. It almost killed me! There were over 500 costume pieces all together for that show.

Cat n bull
April 16th, 2012, 09:36 PM
I made dance costumes for years to pay for my girls' dance fees, and I always make costumes for the high school. It's a performing arts high school, and my oldest daughter graduated from it and my youngest will be graduating from it this June. I also made prom dresses, for my grils adn oen or two of tgheir friends to pay for the materials for my girls dresses.

The last show I made costumes for was The Wizards of Earthsea. The library gave the school a grant to put on the show. I made dragons and birds and wizard robes, capes, tunics, it was a LOT of work with very little time to do it.

This is one of my favorite costumes I made. I won an award for this! The only one I didn't make was the banana. All those dimples in the strawberry are a black bead-it took FOREVER.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 17th, 2012, 01:00 AM
I made dance costumes for years to pay for my girls' dance fees, and I always make costumes for the high school. It's a performing arts high school, and my oldest daughter graduated from it and my youngest will be graduating from it this June. I also made prom dresses, for my grils adn oen or two of tgheir friends to pay for the materials for my girls dresses.

The last show I made costumes for was The Wizards of Earthsea. The library gave the school a grant to put on the show. I made dragons and birds and wizard robes, capes, tunics, it was a LOT of work with very little time to do it.

This is one of my favorite costumes I made. I won an award for this! The only one I didn't make was the banana. All those dimples in the strawberry are a black bead-it took FOREVER.

19353These are arling, no wonder they were award winning costumes! Such cuties!