PDA

View Full Version : Summer in the Park Quilt

BandWidow
June 29th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Can anyone tell me how big the Summer in the Park quilt from the video is? I have been hoarding my Blush jelly roll for quite some time and just need to do something with it.

D

BandWidow
June 30th, 2010, 05:31 PM
No one, 'eh? Hm... perhaps I will have to count the squares and do some math, then approximate the borders.

hillbilly
June 30th, 2010, 07:17 PM
No one, 'eh? Hm... perhaps I will have to count the squares and do some math, then approximate the borders.

I am new to the forums, but I think the RockStars have been busy since they just got back from Sweden.

janluna
June 30th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I am new to the forums, but I think the RockStars have been busy since they just got back from Sweden.
Are they back already?!?! YAY!!

quiltnut
July 25th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Love this block, in fact i did try it out one day last week,still learning new stuff each time i visit the site.

Judy in Waco
July 25th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I haven't seen that block yet. Off to look it up. :)

Judy in Waco
July 25th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Is that the title of the video? Is it one of the tutorials?

cathys311
July 25th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Looks to be about a 12" block if my math is correct...

cathys311
July 25th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Yes Judy, it's in the tutorials... it's called : Make a "Summer In The Park" Quilt Using Jelly Rolls...

If my math is correct, it's a 12" block. Use three 2 1/2" strips in a set and make two sets. If you sew them together, cut 'em, and press 'em... it should come out to a 12" block. Hope that makes sense and helps! :)

(I tried to edit my earlier post and it wouldn't let me... sorry for a duplicate kind of post.)

Judy in Waco
July 25th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Thank you. I don't know how I overlooked it. It's really pretty.

quiltnut
July 26th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I love that block also,I have a jelly roll here,awaiting my new pattern at present

lisainmo
July 26th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Love that tutorial and the block..I am pretty new to quilting and had that pieced and cut in a day!

debbie
July 26th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Can anyone tell me how big the Summer in the Park quilt from the video is? I have been hoarding my Blush jelly roll for quite some time and just need to do something with it.

D
I Know exactly where this is as I just found it it is on the utube site I have bookmarked this site and the utube site as that is where I found the disappearing 9 patch let me know if you cant find it and I will come back on later and give you the exact location if you cant find it good luck!! I really want to make that quilt also but I am totally new at this but the tutorial is so good I think I can fake my way through it.....I really hope you get this message in time before you start guessing at the measurements!! Deb

LooshThreads
July 29th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I'm in the middle of making it with a wonderful batik jelly roll and white fabric I've cut into 2-1/2-inch strips, and I recommend you use spray starch because the strips can stretch if you're not careful. Spray starch really reduces the chance things don't line up. At this point my quilt top is slightly larger than a throw size, and I must decide whether to make it larger. Of course this past weekend when my grown children & granddaughters saw my latest WIP (the Summer in the Park) they all said they had first dibs on it... so I think that means it is a successful pattern.

My MIL used to make quilts and braided rugs and at Christmastime she'd always have one or the other to raffle off. Anyone who entered her house on Christmas Day had to put their name in the basket she kept by the door... then at 7 p.m. she'd draw a name out of the basket and the winner went home with the surprise package.... I just might continue that tradition with this quilt.

janluna
July 29th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I love what your MIL did. What a great idea!

janluna
July 29th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I'm in the middle of making it with a wonderful batik jelly roll and white fabric I've cut into 2-1/2-inch strips, and I recommend you use spray starch because the strips can stretch if you're not careful. Spray starch really reduces the chance things don't line up. At this point my quilt top is slightly larger than a throw size, and I must decide whether to make it larger. Of course this past weekend when my grown children & granddaughters saw my latest WIP (the Summer in the Park) they all said they had first dibs on it... so I think that means it is a successful pattern.

My MIL used to make quilts and braided rugs and at Christmastime she'd always have one or the other to raffle off. Anyone who entered her house on Christmas Day had to put their name in the basket she kept by the door... then at 7 p.m. she'd draw a name out of the basket and the winner went home with the surprise package.... I just might continue that tradition with this quilt.
I was told not to use spray starch on quilts from a class I took. They said using Maryellen's spray is better for the quilt. Reason is there is sugar in some spray starches and if you store your quilt it can get silverfish and they will eat your quilt. Be sides that Maryellen's spray doesn't build up on your iron.

BandWidow
August 5th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Thanks for all of the responses. I work at a fabric store and do math all day long... but when I get home, my brain leaves me. lol I hope to start this quilt, soon. But with 3 queen size, and 1 twin size quilts in progress, it might be awhile. One of the other quilts I'm working on has nearly 3,000 2" squares (unfinished) in it. I'm such a glutton for punishment.

RockyMountainHorseMama
August 6th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Thanks for all of the responses. I work at a fabric store and do math all day long... but when I get home, my brain leaves me. lol I hope to start this quilt, soon. But with 3 queen size, and 1 twin size quilts in progress, it might be awhile. One of the other quilts I'm working on has nearly 3,000 2" squares (unfinished) in it. I'm such a glutton for punishment.

OMG! Okay, if I EVER count how many squares it takes to make a quilt, I'll never make one!!! I really admire you gals who can do that, for me, it's too overwhelming a thought to even begin! WOW!

Mamatron
September 8th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Has anyone finished this quilt? What is the final size? Can't decide if I should use my new favorite jelly roll or a different one to make myself a birthday gift. thanks.