PDA

View Full Version : Five Cats

phoots
April 7th, 2012, 02:28 AM
About 2 yrs ago my bf and I talked about getting a cat, but not just any cat, actually it had to be a kitten because he didn't want to "inherit" someone else's problems and he didn't like black cats. A short time later a stray cat in our apartment complex adopted him. This stray was a year old and she was black...two strikes against her. But my bf fell for her and she's been a member of our family since then. That is Shadow.

A couple months later he decided that Shadow needed a playmate so he went online to our local shelter and picked out a 3 month old kitten. This is Daphne! She's a grey tabby. Shadow hated Daphne from day one. Today, about 1 1/2 yrs later, they tolerate each other.

This is where I honestly thought our feline family would end. NOPE!!!

About 3 months ago my bf was taken by a cute little white and grey tabby who had started coming around our patio. She is a stray. He started putting out food and water and spending time outside so she could get used to him. About 2 months later she had his full trust. We took her to the vet for some blood work, which she passed with flying colors, and we set her loose in our apartment. She's been inside for nearly a week and slowly getting used to the sounds of the apartment. Her name is Missy.

This is where I thought our family would finally end. NOPE!!

My bf's son was upset that none of the cats would spend time with him. He's 14 and he can be a bit loud. Earlier this week he found a stray cat that was so starved for attention that it would spend time with the boy. He was so excited!!! A cat that would spend time with him...he wanted to keep it!!! NO I said, we have enough cats!!! The reason none of our cats would spend time with him is because he's only here on the weekends. They mostly like my bf because he's the one who does most of the feeding. They mainly spend time with me only when my bf's not here.

So, Missy has been in the apartment for less then a week, no where close to enough time to adjust to her new situation. Now my bf's son wants this 4th cat. My bf said that if he helped every weekend with the litter box and feeding and brushing, we could bring in cat #4. I'm not happy with this but I can't fight bf and son. So in a month or so we'll have cat #4 tested for the same things that Missy was tested for. Then he'll get shots and he'll be fixed. He's a dark grey boy who has been named Coal.

This is definitely the last of our cats....at least for now!!!

WRONG!!! Cat #5 has arrived!! It is a grey tabby, probably 1-2 yrs old. It is definitely crosseyed!! This cat we do not plan to keep. We plan to socialize it and find it a home. This cat will not be living in our apartment!!! Will this be the end?? How do I know? It's up to bf and son.

Love to all,

Pam in Vegas

Meli
April 7th, 2012, 04:54 AM
Pam, I'm sitting here, reading this, and just falling off my chair laughing! Have you ever read the book "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie... ?" Same story. "If You Give a BF a Kitty..."

Meli
April 7th, 2012, 04:59 AM
Pam, I'm sitting here, reading this, and just falling off my chair laughing! Have you ever read the book "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie... ?" Same story. "If You Give a BF a Kitty..."

Jean Sewing Machine
April 7th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Hope they all like each other! Any guy who loves cats is a good guy in my book!

Monique
April 7th, 2012, 09:09 AM
I could never come to visit Pam. I am allergic to cats. (Sneeze!!!)

quiltingtrish
April 7th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Missy looks EXACTLY like my Lightening Girl. Her face does anyways.
5 cats - I know where you are coming from. We had 4 at the most at one time and I said, never again. We are down to 2. I am the only one who does the taking care of them. The kids are the ones who brought them home. At least they can be left alone while you are gone without getting into major trouble like some dogs, plus I don't have to take them out every time they need to go do their business. We've probably had 8 or 9 over the years that have lived to an old age and they were all rescued from one place or another and they were all special in their own ways. Sure do miss the ones that are gone - have our own special little pet cemetary just for them down in the back yard with flowers planted on top.

Love your photos.
Hugs,

CrazyMtnLady
April 7th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Pam that is hilarious. When we moved to Missouri we had two cats. Chester "the Planet" and Dingo. Then someone dropped of a beautiful little Harlequin Calico kitten. She was so small I named her LittleBit. Then she became pregnant before I could have her fixed. The vet said she had to be 6 months old. By the time I figured she was six months she was pregnant. She had 5 kittens. So we were up to 8. We kept Slash, Spud and Hondo Princess (named that because we thought it was a little girl, we named Princess and then found out it was a boy so we named it Hondo Princess.) Then after she had weaned the kittens and I was going to have her fixed she was pregnant again. (the little hussy). We had given away the two girls out of that litter. She had 3 with the second litter. 2 girls and 1 boy. We gave away the 2 girls and I tearfully gave up LittleBit also. DH said no more kittens. So we were left with the boys. Dingo and Spud went exploring and never came home. A friend wanted Slash. So we are left with Chester, Hondo and Georgie from the second litter. Now we have another female that someone dropped off! She is going to a friend soon. She had kittens but must have lost them. So now we are afraid she will get pregnant and have another litter. So we are taking her to our friend asap!

Enjoy your brood :)

I am allergic to long haired cats and dogs. But not to short haired ones. But I just take Benadryl and love on them all anyway.

Ginny B
April 7th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Isn't it amazing how your fur family can multiply! They are all beautiful.

Ginny B

Sandy Navas
April 7th, 2012, 10:56 AM
I love my three - two are outdoor males and Puddy Pie, my indoor female recently earned permanent outdoor privileges when she started marked a spot in the guest room.

phoots
April 8th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Mtn Lady, I totally understand about a cat who get pregnant, has a litter and gets pregnant again. I had a stray do that to me when I lived in Alabama. She had two litters...5 kittens total. After the second litter I took her to the vet to be fixed and he said she was pregnant again. I begged him to please fix her...I couldn't deal with anymore kittens. It was very early in the pregnancy so he did it. When I brought her home, she ran off.

My Mom loves cats, always has. She now has two cats.....and two air purifiers!!

Pam in Vegas

Claire Hallman
April 8th, 2012, 11:38 AM
I remember my mother telling me that cats go into heat a few days after giving birth so you need to confine your cat if you don't want kittens.
I have had an escaping dog spayed a few days after accidentally being bred without a problem and I would think the same could be done with a cat.

cyndiofthevortex
April 8th, 2012, 11:39 AM
We have matching kitties! Two of yours look just like two of mine. Of course when you have seven, there's bound to be some similarities! I am NOT a cat lady. I just have a soft spot for strays and kittens that will be put down for want of a home. But this is IT! Definitely no more kitties. I do love each and every one of them, though. Just now had to share my breakfast milk with four of them. They are all outdoor cats and very friendly to humans and other cats alike. My friends say seven cats for seven kids. How did I get such a full house?

Cyndi

aliaslaceygreen
April 8th, 2012, 11:42 AM
LMAO!!! One of our favorite books...we use that line ALL THE TIME...
Adorable kitties!!!

NanaB
April 8th, 2012, 05:32 PM
The bottom picture brings tears to my eyes. That one looks like my dear, departed Cloudy. RIP old friend.

Nena
April 8th, 2012, 06:42 PM
This is funny!!! Beautiful looking kitties

bec
April 9th, 2012, 12:15 AM
You are so funny, Pam! Love your story telling. All your kitties look comfortable and there to stay. lol Let's just hope that no more show up or they'll be calling you the crazy cat lady!

brittyboo07
April 9th, 2012, 12:29 AM
lol i am an animal lover myself and if I could take them all in I would! Right now we have two dogs and 3 cats so we are our limit right now I guess lol. I know how quickly they multiply that is for sure. We started out years ago with only 1 cat and she had 3 kittens, 2 female and 1 male. And then all three of the females each had 5 kittens all within 2 or 3 days of each other! So we had what 19 cats running around at one time.

phoots
April 9th, 2012, 02:20 AM
Just to let you all know....it's my bf who keeps attracting the cats!!! I am a cat lover and always have been, but he's the one who keeps wanting to add more!!!

Pam in Vegas

cyndiofthevortex
April 9th, 2012, 01:45 PM
In my earlier post here I mentioned NO MORE KITTIES since we already have seven and I do not want to be a cat lady. DS David is outside right now trying to get a starving cat he found near our house to eat something. What's a mom to do when her son is such a cat lover? He's a beautiful calico that looks like he needs a loving home. The cat. Not the son.

Claire Hallman
April 9th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Most likely if it is a calico it is a she. I wish I was closer, to come and get her.