Just Window Shopping, I should have known better! Warning--long read!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jean Sewing Machine
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2012

Just Window Shopping, I should have known better! Warning--long read!

My dealer's store, where I have bought my many Janome and other machines, moved to a new location. It is closer to my house, and it is a much bigger, brighter and improved store and location. They opened the new store last week. They have been letting their customers know about the move, and the latest email said "Help! We have more machines than we have space for!" Now, the last thing in the world I need is a new sewing machine (I'll never catch up to Sandy Navas! I only have 10!) So I went in and was casually checking out the new machines, like the Janome 12000, getting prices on it, seeing its fine features, but was just windown shopping. I have said to myself that I really wouldn't be interested in another embroidery machine, especially at the prices they are going for now (high end models!) A close out Bernina 830 was quoted to me at $10,000+ at a local place that was going out of business--no way!

But honestly, I've been shopping long arms for over 2 years. I've looked at one my dealer had in his store a couple of years ago, and was very tempted, but really had to prove to myself that I would actually do enough quilt tops to justify spending that kind of money to quilt something

At that time, my stock of UFO quilts was non-existant. I had only made a couple of baby quilts. Well, with the 13-15 quilt tops I've made in the past 7 months, (about 2/3 of them quilted) I think I can start to justify the fact that I've become a quilter. I'm having one LAQed at MSQC, and it will be about $200 to have it done. For the rest of the tops that are not quilted, I would be spending a bundle if I had someone else do them for me.

Now I know, you will tell me to learn FMQing on a regular machine, or to go to the local quilt shop to pay by the hour to do it myself. I'm resistant to those ideas. Somehow, I'm just SURE that a long arm quilting set up in my own basement will solve all my quilt dilemas, and will help me finish all thos UFOs and the ones yet to come.

I've considered the quilt frames with the regular sewing machines on them. I know that could work. I have a Janome 6600 that I purposely did not trade in when I got my Janome Horizon because I was going to set the 6600 on a frame and use that for quilting. Never did get that plan into motion.

Thus the "I should have known better" part comes in. I didn't just window shop. My shop owner has a deal I can't pass up, a long arm and frame for just the price I wanted to pay for a hobby machine, not a $15,000+ Gammill, but a hobby priced machine. It's a good machine and frame. It can be upgraded to be computerized when I'm ready for that step. I'm not going to disclose the price, but I can swing it (about half of the Bernina 830 embroidery machine!) Bad news is, I will have to go on a quilt fabric diet for a while until I pay it off. But, let me just say, with the fabric purchases I've made through Daily Deals and other sources in the past few months, I could quilt for quite a long time before I ever run out of fabric and things to make! I'll just have to turn off that Daily Deal email! Also am trading in the Janome 6600, for a fair price for a 5 year old machine.

I am buying this sight unseen, but with the reputation of the products and his reputation spuring me on. He is giving me a chunk of money off to buy his sales sample (which he says the company is going to change soon) while it is still in the boxes, so I won't have a chance to take a "test drive". I've bought a "pig in a poke" before, and I know he will make it right if I have difficulties. And I would rather support a local owner who has been in business in our city for a very long time--he inherited the shop from his parents and has continued their legacy of fine products and good service, and he certainly has been fair to me in trading up when I was ready for that. Plus, he made a buck or two, I'm OK with that. It keeps him in business.

My next challenge is to clean out a space for the long arm set up. I have a place that will work, with plenty of light, but some things will have to go bye-bye, things that we love, like the Christmas train set up, which is fun for 30 minutes a year on Christmas Day. I'll give that to my son who has a huge basement that has not much in it, his three boys will love the Polar Express train. The rest is junk that can go to the trash. I moved it here in 2006 and haven't touched it since, I think I can emotionally detatch from it now!

So some time next week, a couple of big boxes will be coming to my home, hopefully with some friendly advice from my shop owner to help me assemble the frame. And a long time dream of mine will come true, to become a long arm quilter, for fun or maybe even some profit some day. We'll see. Happy Easter, Jean Sewing Machine! (And birthday and Christmas for the next several years!)
  • JessicaP
    Applique Angel
    • Feb 2012

Re: Just Window Shopping, I should have known better! Warning--long read!

I say why the heck not? If it's something that you know that you will use and you can afford it then by all means I am glad you got it! I am very happy for you and I hope that you will post a picture when your new baby is up and running! I can bet that you will have many good years quilting on it and that you will make many people happy with the quilts you produce! Congrats, I am so very happy for you!!!

Comment

• quilter.martha
      Missouri Star
      • May 2011

Congratulations Jean! A long arm is nothing I'll ever buy--no large enough space to put it, but I'll enjoy yours vicariously through you!
      When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

• EsGrandma
        Missouri Star
        • Aug 2010

Enjoy! You will be quilting up heirlooms for everybody now! Wished I lived closer and could visit your gem!

Comment

• Divine Daisy
          Missouri Star
          • May 2011

OOO goodie, I can send my tops to you for quilting then!
          Blog
          http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

• buckeyequilter
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2012

Congratulations! Enjoy your new machine
            Shirley aka buckeyequilter
            I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
              Missouri Star
              • Jan 2012

Let me practice a bit before you send me your quilts! One dealer that I talked to told me my first few quilts will be "dog qullts". The dogs won't mind sleeping on a messed up quilt. So I'll start out with some less than precious tops. I'm reading " The ABCs of Long Arm Quilting". Loading the quilt seems to be part of the challenge. But I'm up for it. And I've thought about this for several years now, so it wasn't a snap decision. No buyer's remorse yet. The hardest thing for me will be resisting Daily Deals for a while til I get this puppy paid for!

Comment

• ChristineB
                The Guild President
                • Nov 2011

Wow! Congratulations Jean!! Get ready for our quilts!

Comment

• MRoy
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jul 2011

Congratulations Jean! Have fun with your new toy and let us know when you're ready for us to put you in business!
                  *~* Myrna *~*
                  *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

• GrammaBabs
                    Missouri Star
                    • Aug 2010

Jean, that is a wonderful story.... you deserve it and in these times... why not!!! It's our passion and it sounds like you got a super price.... i will be ugrading in some way soon... right now i'm thinking the "speed control" for my 1600 Janome... i have the grace pinnacle frame... i love working on it...i'm not sure what your getting my my friend who has the big gammill with computer and all... uses So Fine thread.... i was having problems, and bang... that's all it took.... using the so fine thread... keep us all posted and pictured!! I can't wait... we are a special breed,,, here at M* and when you said 200 for LAQ... and i know my friend makes that and more sometimes... it's exactly why i bought my set up... even if all i ever do is loop d loop, i'm already saved a lot of money... I also like to do a long side to side stagger style and i've done some free hand "circle in a square", starting at the outside working in... tiny move to fasten.. stop and go to the next square... clip threads after... your gonna love your purchase.. Congratulations... B
                    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                    that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

• HandsOffItsMine
                      Missouri Star
                      • Aug 2011

Congrats Jean! How exciting for you and a well thought out purchase that you been researching for several years.

I would have to give up our bed...something Don won't let me do. lol Actually, probably won't even fit. Think the room is 12x15! The so called lanai is 2x30, nope that won't work either.

Guess it stays at your house. Lucky girl!
                      sigpic

Comment

• K. McEuen
                        Super Moderator
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2011

Good for you! I'm like Martha, would have to buy a new house before I'd ever have a place big enough for a long arm, even though I'd love to have one.
                        K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
                        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                        T - is it TRUE?
                        H - is it HELPFUL?
                        I - is it INSPIRING?
                        N - is it NECESSARY?
                        K - is it KIND?

Comment

• sunnyQLDmum
                          Designer Diva
                          • Aug 2011

Congratulations! Your new baby will give you hours of fun, and I'm sure at the start, some teething problems! From what I've heard, a good dealer should be able to help you set up and walk you through the quilt loading process to ensure that you won't have too many problems. Don't be scared to ask them if they will help you if you do get stuck or overwhelmed, you have just given them a fair chunk of money. Enjoy!
                          Find my creations on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/tinabartondesigns

Comment

• Susan M
                            The Guild President
                            • Apr 2011

I wonder how that shop owner feels about shipping to Connecticut???? LOL Have fun and enjoy!
                            Susan

Comment

• quiltingtrish
                              Banned
                              Missouri Star
                              • Sep 2009

Congratulations on your new machine. That's so exciting. I'm going to get one as soon as I win my millions. They just didn't pull my numbers yet.

Hugs,

Comment

Working...
                              X