PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Dogwoods....

Jean Sewing Machine
April 4th, 2012, 11:34 PM
This is my fourth attempt to recreate the "Dogwood Trail" in my yard. All the big trees died from too much heat, don't know what killed this one, but it is looking rather crispy, no leaves----that's not a good sign for a living tree, so maybe it bit the dust over the winter.

The live one is in our old front yard of the house we no longer live in, and it was glorious this year, 46 years old.

Sad?
Yes, I am very sad!

phoots
April 5th, 2012, 01:32 AM
I had a house in Alabama that had a dogwood in the front yard. Unfortunately, the tree died when new plumbing had to be run from the house to the street. Went right under the tree. We also had a huge Oak in the backyard. We sold the house to the school district because they needed the property for building a new elementary school. They cut the heck out of the Oak. It had to have been at least 100 yrs old. Sad.

Pam in Vegas

Genny
April 5th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Give your tree a little longer, maybe its just not ready to bloom, if not then plant another one and I'm sure it'll be as beautiful as the one you and your dh planted all those years ago. I feel your sadness in your post and heres hoping tommorow will be a brighter, more beautiful day.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 5th, 2012, 06:35 AM
I had a house in Alabama that had a dogwood in the front yard. Unfortunately, the tree died when new plumbing had to be run from the house to the street. Went right under the tree. We also had a huge Oak in the backyard. We sold the house to the school district because they needed the property for building a new elementary school. They cut the heck out of the Oak. It had to have been at least 100 yrs old. Sad.

Pam in Vegas
There were actually three dowoods that we planted and one had to be cut down to fix the plumbing pipe that ran under it also. Don't know what happened to the other one, except three trees this size are way too big for this small yard!