• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ktbb
    UN-Biased
    • Mar 2010

project for traveling

I do all my work on machines, which are difficult to use on an airplane or in a doctor's office. I'd like to start a new project/learn a new skill that I can carry with me and do wherever I am. What is your favorite small "carry around" project?
  • stitchywoman
    The Guild President
    • Feb 2009

Re: project for traveling

embroidery. It offers creativity and portability, I really enjoy it.
    To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Comment

• jrchapman
      The Guild President
      • Sep 2009

I know a lot of people who take hand sewing with them when they travel. Hand stitching hexagon quilts seems to be very popular (if you have the patience). My mum doesn't go anywhere without her knitting. She knitted for a full 4 hour train journey when we went to London a couple of months ago.
      Quilting through the dull times
      northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

• dmt148
        9 Patch Princess
        • Jan 2010

English Paper Piecing. Google it and you are open to a whole new world. You can even buy the precut template paper pieces at Paper Pieces.com and see some sample project.

Comment

• patticakes
          Missouri Star
          • Dec 2009

Yo yos are a favorite of mine to travel with. Also, I have been known to carry around a zip lock bag with blocks and appliques that I have prepared in advance and are all ready to stitch. Add scissors and thread and all I have to do is pop it in my tote bag and go!
          Patti
          "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

• kelandspence
            Quilting Royalty
            • Jun 2010

I started my dad's quilt( father's day quilt top,posted on the show and tell board by me) with english paper piecing ! I loved it ! I even took a bunch of my scraps and cut out hexagons from them to and I'm keeping them in a bag so when I need something to take with me, I can stitch them together !

Comment

• newbiequilter
              Batting Beauty
              • May 2010

My first love is crochet and I sometimes make baby sweaters for charity. They are very portable.

Comment

• debbie
                Honey Bun
                • Jun 2010

I take my knitting everywhere we travel if I can get a couple of dishcloths made or a pair of slippers it makes the time pass for me. I have a big bin I put them in and give them as gifts all year long.

Comment

• Alphabetty
                  Beginning Stitcher
                  • Mar 2010

Embroidery -- Redwork is great because you only need one color! Buy one of those zippered pencil-carrers that fit in a three-ring binder like the school kids use. they usually have two pockets, sometimes clear so you can see what's inside, just right for needles, red embroidery floss, fabric you have pre-drawn your design onto, a tiny embroidery hoop, thread cutter, thimble. And you're set!

GREAT TIP I TRIED: Put a piece of same-size white or off-white flannel behind your embroidery fabric. Hand baste the edges. When you embroider, you won't see the knots on the front side and the piece lies much smoother when finished.

For hand pieced quilts, precut a bunch of the two sizes of Drunkard's Path pieces and carryin in a pencil bag with a needle, thimble and thread. Sew a bunch together and have fun putting them in different combinations. Cut half of the pieces of black, and half from brights. Fun!

Comment

• ktbb
                    UN-Biased
                    • Mar 2010

thanks for all your ideas...I may try redwork...or, because of personal preferences, purplework!

Comment

Working...
                    X