PDA

View Full Version : Geneology: Have you traced you roots?

CrazyMtnLady
April 4th, 2012, 10:51 AM
When my daughters were young, back in the late '70s I tried tracing my father's side of the family, he was still living and so were some of his brothers and sisters. I hit a brick wall with his family because they did not want to talk about anything! I guess there are a lot of skeletons in my family tree. And, although my mother was born in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia her parents were both born in England, which makes it difficult to search for records, without paying through the nose on websites.

Have any of you ever traced your roots. My DH's family has traced his father's maternal grandmother's side back to the 1600s in which Shamgar Hand owned a whaling business. Amazing. I can't even get past my great grandparents on my father's side.

Yesterday I spent most of the day trying to find records on my mother's English relatives. My grandfather was a Chapple born in the district of Charles in Plymouth, England. My grandmother was a Last born in Ipswich (I believe). My great grandfather Chapple was born in Buckland Monachorum, Devon, England. That is a mouthful.
One of the Chapple clan came to America so I guess I have relatives here somewhere. I had a relative in Florida Vi Oakley that my mom use to write to.

So I was wondering. Wouldn't it be amazing to find out that someone on here is YOUR relative and you never knew it.
What is your heritage and what are some of the names in your family history.

I have English. Mainly in the Cornwall area. Chapple, Last, Warne, Martin, Merrieweather ( I have Quaker blood in me)

American: Rowe, Worthington, Handy, Sipe, Cope, Zimmerman, Dotts,

Just thought it would be fun to do a bit of Are We Related?

buckeyequilter
April 4th, 2012, 11:06 AM
My daughter is into the geneology and I think she has us traced back to the ark....I'll have to check on some of the names and let you know. I know there is American Indian on both sides.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 4th, 2012, 11:11 AM
My brother worked for years near our main library in St. Louis, where the geneology and census records are kept. He did a very thorough search and research for our mother and father's family ancestors. It is fascinating.

Here's a wierd thing. Both my parent's family, and my husband's family are of German heritage, and they came to the St. Louis/St. Charles, MO. area about the same time. We have an old plat map (one with every owner's name on it) and his ancestors and my ancestors were neighbors in 1904. Talk about a small world!

Sandy Navas
April 4th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I have done some - and other family members have shared some of their work. I know more about my Mother's family - on her mother's side, and my Father's fami8ly - on his mother's side. My mother was a WOLFE with relatives from Germany. One of my cousins had the family bible and did some work. She passed away a bit over a year ago and since she had a 'combined' family (only one natural child and then her husband's children . . . and he passed away two days before her) no one seems to know what happened to all her records. So sad. She had given me a print-out of some of the work she'd done and I inadvertently left it laying on a table at the last family reunion and someone else picked it up . . . So I don't know much about the WOLFE side of the family.

My maternal grandmother was a Wilson from Hamilton, Ontario and I have a hand-written copy of the family history that her brother did - he was able to trace the family back to the lowlands of Scotland - to the Joiner family. It does get a bit complicated when you see that someone married their cousin and then when she passed away during childbirth they married her sister.

Mom always tried to keep an up-to-date family history of her brothers and sisters and all their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren . . . but the family has fallen apart as the relatives get more distant and the 'founding fathers' are no longer there to pull us all together. I do keep close to a few cousins, but we're all so scattered and only see each other at funerals any more.

Dad's family was more difficult - with a name like JONES it is anyone's guess. My paternal grandmother was a BRINTON and, as you can guess, from England. I have been able to trace her family back to the 1700's here in the States and know that a relative (a Quaker) settled around Valley Forge, PA and his original home there is now part of the Historical Registry. One of the oldest homes still standing in Pennsylvania. A split in the family and his oldest son headed to Kentucky and settled in Gravel Spit. I don't know which group Grandma came from - but I believe it is the HOT-HEADED Kentucky side . . . we laugh about that here.

Enough - there's more . . .

bdk
April 4th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I have done some research into my Mama's side of the family...the Simmons...but I also hit a brick wall while doing my research so I haven't been working on it as much lately..There are death certificates and some census records that would help me tremendously if they were available but unfortunately North Carolina didn't start keeping death certificates statewide until around 1913 and some of (the 1890) census records burned in a fire so I'm kinda at a stand still...but I hope to find out more someday... Researching your family tree can be very interesting....I enjoy doing it...:)

sally
April 4th, 2012, 02:59 PM
My Fathers side are Wallace's...yes the clan of the famous William Wallace aka Braveheart. He had no children so no direct ties beyond the clan. Somewhere along the way they moved from Scotland to Ireland and in 1826 my gggrandfather and gggrandmother...Andrew and Isabella (Rice) came to Canada and settled in the Ottawa valley. In the early 1900's the move west was made by my grandfather and his siblings to take up homesteads in Lower Canada...Sask and Alberta. My mom is a Bell and her parents came from bonnie Scotland to Canada around WW1.

aliaslaceygreen
April 4th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Oh, yeah, I've been interested in the family stuff for decades...I actually ran across a box of old letters when I was a teen from my paternal grandmothers ancestors in the attic because my paternal grandfather was the executor of one of their estates.

I have letters and documentation going back to the stone ages on that side of the family; including a Signer, Abraham Clark; papers signed by Wm. Seward, one of the cousins was a congressman who lived next door to the Vice President; there are Hatfields in the family, as well as some McCoys....

The Clarks came over from England as early as 1670...

Of course the family names I have are all variations on 'John Doe'--- CLARK, BAKER, FRANK, CASEY--- I LOVE when I come across a Felgentreau just because it's easier to trace!!

bakermom
April 4th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I've dabbled in it. One of my dad's cousins did quite a bit and shared. Another, from the other side of dad's family did extensive research. from what i've learned, one of the ancestors back in Scotland was martyred"for the cause" and there is a stone memorializing where he was killed. They eventually ended up in the lancaster region of Pa.sometime before the Am.revolution.
mom's family is a bit trickier. both of her parents emmigrated from hungary about the turn of the century. I can find her dad's name on a ships manifest but the records for her mother were destroyed in a fire in Baltimore(where her ship docked). they too started out in Pa. before moving on to ohio. everyone that would know anything has passed on, and neither my mom or her siblings ever asked too much about their parents' past. after all this time and two WWs i'm not sure the little villages they were from even exist.

quilter.martha
April 4th, 2012, 05:44 PM
One of my sister's is in the DAR (daughters of the American Revolution) and does genealogy as a passionate hobby. She has managed to trace both sides of the family very far back. We've done some grave hunting here in New Hampshire and found our 8th removed grandparents. I never knew I was returning to our roots when we moved here!

Family names: Roush, Martin, Clark, Pelsor to name a few....

Divine Daisy
April 4th, 2012, 06:05 PM
On my mother's side we are Scottish and members of the Ross Clan. The eldest boy is always called Ross. I have Annabelle Ross's marriage cert (she eloped with a McClean and was cut off in shame) dated 1743. Our family christmening gown is made from her wedding gown but has some lace dated about 30 years later and so the gown is dated from there. On the underskirt of the gown is embroidered the initials of every child christened in it sinse the first Ross. The gown is handed down to the eldest daughter of each gerneration who is custodian, if there is no daughter it is kept for the grand daughter.

On my father's side we are a mixture of Jewish and French Huguenot. My Grandmother's family were the jewish side and we were (loosely) brought up in that faith. I have a great great uncle from that side who was hanged for murder in Durham Prison in the 1920s but we have all been good eggs sinse lol.

Engineers and lawyers run in my family. My great grandfather, grandfather, father (he designed the engines for the british space craft The Blue Streak which was sadly cancelled in the 60's but his engines did go to the moon after being bought by the Apollo program) and my daughter.......all engineers. Another grandafther, myself and my other daughter.....lawyers. My Mother's father was a violinist and was leader of the BBC Synphonic Orchestra.

We are fortunate that many of our family history has been well documented..........good and bad

aliaslaceygreen
April 4th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Daisy, that is a fabulous history!

Sandy Navas
April 4th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention that I'm related to both Adam and Eve.

Margok
April 4th, 2012, 07:00 PM
I was able to locate information on my Father and Mother's side of the family. But noteworthy was the information was on people that were here in the US. Searching the US Archives using boat names was fruitless as I think the handed down names of boats were garboled. As far as searching in Ireland, that was a bust as we know that my Mother's grandfather left from Belfast as a cabin boy, no village noted. We know more about the maternal side in Ireland. The wonderful information on families I gathered displayed such faith, hope and charity. I made two separate books to be passed down in the families so the children would know the strength they came from. On my father's side his grandfather and grandmother settled in Michigan on a farm when the Government open the territory for settlement. Their property lay along an Indian trail. They became friends with the Indians. Grandfather accompanied the Indians when it was time to collect their dole to make sure they were not cheated by the agents. My grandmother taught the Indian women to embroider.

CrazyMtnLady
April 4th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Daisy that is a great history with the christening gown. And don't you just love the "skeletons" in the closet. I have an aunt who shamed the family by having a child our of wedlock @ 16 and gave it up for adoption. But if you knew that aunt it was the best thing that ever happened to that child!
Plus my brother's illegitimate daughter and her mother both went to jail for their role in a murder. The mother plotted the murder of her husband and the daughter drove the get away car. The daughter is out of prison now but as far as I know the mother is still in prison. As well as the 3 guys she hired to do the killing. She never told my brother he was the father until right before the murder and the daughter was about 20 then.

Sandy: I knew we had to be related.. Adam and Eve were distance relatives of mine also! :)

SuzyQue
April 4th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Funny how Adam and Eve can be claimed by so many.......guess we are more related than not! This is an interesting thread and I love all the stories. I haven't had time yet (still raising those young 'uns) to do much research of my own. Something I hope to do when/if I retire...........along with much more quilting!

sunnyQLDmum
April 4th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Funny you should bring this up. Last month DH and I ordered military records for his male relatives who we knew went to war. A couple of days ago the records of his Grandfather (on his Dad's Side) arrived in the mail. They were all photocopies of the actual documents in his military file. We now know exactly where he was stationed during WWII and for how long, what conflicts he was involved in, how many trips home he got (he married on his 2nd trip home), how long he spent in hospital and for what (malaria and wounds), as well as his particular information (DOB, next of Kin, address, occupation, etc)
About a year ago we started to chart the family tree, but hit a wall because there are not many family members still alive, and none old enough to know very much. Now we have some really good information to start searching again. The records cost $25 per search, we did 3 - both grandfathers and a great uncle, but for the information we received it is well worth it. Can't wait for the other 2 to arrive.

Claire Hallman
April 4th, 2012, 10:16 PM
How interesting. My parents did quite a lot of research before they passed away and there is a 4 drawer file cabinet in mys sister's basement as none of us 4 girls is interested unfortunately. I know my maternal grandmother came to the US from Ireland as a teen [around 1890] and her husband either came here as a young child or was born shortly after his parents arrived from Ireland. I remember at about 14 or so hearing her say she had 98 first cousins, mostly in Ireland. She was a Leary and had Brosnan cousins in County Kerry. I may be related to Pierce.;0)
My father's family had been in the US for many more years, the sister of Peter Stuyvesant was in his family tree. Shields was my maiden name and Brown my mother's maiden name.

sewmuchjan
April 4th, 2012, 10:17 PM
My Father's side of the family is Adams-Chandler my Grandpa's name was John Quincy Adams from MO my Grandma's name was Mabel Bold Adams, I have info back to my GGGF who was Henry Adams, my GGF was Phillip Adams. Phillip and his brother OB (Obadiah) married the Chandler Sister Ellen (my GGM) and Hessie (GGA). The Adams-Chandler Cemeterey is in New Hope, MO We always had the family reunion in Bennett Springs at the Sand Spring Restaurant for many years and I think they that live in MO and KS meet once a year in June or July for one day.

My Mother's side is HUGHES-SANTA CRUZ. My GGGF was Samuel Hughes (Pembrokeshire Wales) and my GGGM was Atanacia Santa Cruz (Tucson AZ). I have more info on that side of the family going way way back in Scotland, England, Spain.

I do have alot of family in MO and KS and other places east, and south on the Adams side.
I have alot of family on the Hughes side in AZ and CA and other places in England and Wales. I don't know any of those Kin though.

So any one who could be Kin of John Quincy Adams in MO and on this forum I say Howdy Kin.!!!!!

Oh yeah Adam and Eve is in there tooo!!! lol

Prayers, Hugs, and Love
Jan Adams-Gunter

MRoy
April 4th, 2012, 10:53 PM
My dad's family, the Gossages, go back to England. Daniel Gossage came to America from England and settled in New England. His descendants moved to Kentucky by way of South Carolina (they took the long route). Some Gossages also went to Missouri. My dad's mother's maiden name was Coe. I've not been able to find a lot about her family. The Gossage relations include Popplewells, Wooldridges, and Chamberlains. My GGG-Grandfather, James Wooldridge, donated the land where the county seat of my home county was founded and the town is named for him - Jamestown, KY.

My mother's family lines are Bolin (paternal) and Bradley (maternal). My Bolin (Bolen, Bowling, Bolling) line goes back to Pocahontas and Thomas Rolfe. My line is also related to Anne Boleyn (2nd wife of Henry VIII, the King of England). The Bradley line includes Hughes, Zimmerman, and Wade. I'm still researching the Bradleys.

My husband's lineages include Roy (originally LeRoy from France), Wilson (lots of Wilsons from Virginia), Bowmer, Johnson, Sullivan, Gosser and many more.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 4th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention that I'm related to both Adam and Eve.

Really? that's amazing!

Meli
April 5th, 2012, 02:47 AM
My mom did Family History work for years. About 15 years ago, I began to dabble in it, and about 10 years ago I dove off the deep end as far as FH is concerned. I spend quite a bit of my spare time on it. I'm currently anxiously awaiting the full accessibility of the 1940 census on ancestry.com so I can hopefully break through some of the walls I've run into. On my mom's side, I'm concentrating on the ROTHSCHILD line. They lived in St. Louis, MO. I keep hoping if I find living relatives, they'll help me find more about our common ancestors and where they came from.

In my family, I'm known as the Keeper of the Family Tree. I keep track of all the scandalous stories as well. When my grandfather's mother passed away, he and his sisters agreed they would all meet at her house the next day, with their spouses, and go through everything together. The next day, they met as planned. But when they started going through the house, it soon became apparent that things were missing. Aunt Jean, my grandfather Bill's sister, turned to my grandmother, Betty, and accused her of getting there before everyone else and stealing things. In particular, the turkey platter, upon which Thanksgiving dinner had been served every year. My grandmother denied this accusation vehemently and eventually it was dropped. Turns out it was my grandparents' year to host Thanksgiving dinner. Without any qualms, my grandmother proudly brought out the turkey on the stolen platter and set it in the middle of the table.

My father's side of the family is from the deep south. The names on his side are PRICE, DUKES, PADGETT, PURCELL, STRICKLAND, to name a few. And the family names and lines are SO interwoven. I can't begin to tell you how criss-crossed those family lines are. I once ran a relationship calculation between me and my father. The nice little calculator found 13 different relationship indicators. It's a bit daunting.

So, on one side of the family, I'm a nice little German-Jew-Catholic. On the other side of the family, I'm an overly-inbred southern Baptist. Gotta love genetics! lol

bakermom
April 5th, 2012, 05:05 AM
Meli i have to laugh about your interwoven southern roots. I'm from a very small town. everyone knew everyone(and their business) and it was always said everyone was related. after reading our family tree, it became apparent it was true. nearly all of the "old " families were related by marriage if not by blood

MRoy
April 5th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Meli, I traced my husband's family tree back to where his mom and dad became very, very distant cousins. I told DH that explained a lot about him! ;)

Monique
April 5th, 2012, 08:37 AM
I have done the family tree and found relatives I never knew I had. My father's tree started in Canada in about 1634. So I am french Canadian through and through. My maiden name is Robillard. I have also branched out and done my mother's side, grandmothers' and grandmother's. I also have my MIL's. Her father came from Ohio and it has been an adventure looking for them.

Poole, Pool, Rhoads or Rhodes.

NanaB
April 5th, 2012, 11:54 AM
My daughter has worked on our family geneology quite a bit. Ironically, yesterday she and I were at the library looking for my husband's grandfather, who seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. One of my uncles spotted him in the West Virginia coal mines sometime after 1930. We can't find a draft card or death notice for him anywhere. My thought is that there was probably a mine disaster and there's no record of his birth. It makes me sad. I want to know what happened to him.

Meli
April 5th, 2012, 02:01 PM
My daughter has worked on our family geneology quite a bit. Ironically, yesterday she and I were at the library looking for my husband's grandfather, who seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. One of my uncles spotted him in the West Virginia coal mines sometime after 1930. We can't find a draft card or death notice for him anywhere. My thought is that there was probably a mine disaster and there's no record of his birth. It makes me sad. I want to know what happened to him.

NanaB, I recommend searching the public library through the newspaper archives and public records. You may pick up his trail again. I sometimes have good luck searching for people who are "lost" and would be happy to help you if I can.

CrazyMtnLady
April 5th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Monique, I was doing some searching yesterday and I found an Albert Rhoads in Ohio married to Rebecca Howell. Rebecca was a very distant cousin and by that I mean these people were back in the 1850s at least. LOL

DH said he can't wait for me to get my new sewing machine because I am so into the geneology and I want to spend some money to join a couple sites. He said he would rather spend that money on fabric for me! LOL

I also found that my Great Grandmother Rowe was born a Curry (maybe Ann is my long lost cousin!) The Curry's were in Michigan in 1880s haven't gone back any further yet.

Monique
April 5th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Monique, I was doing some searching yesterday and I found an Albert Rhoads in Ohio married to Rebecca Howell. Rebecca was a very distant cousin and by that I mean these people were back in the 1850s at least. LOL

DH said he can't wait for me to get my new sewing machine because I am so into the geneology and I want to spend some money to join a couple sites. He said he would rather spend that money on fabric for me! LOL

I also found that my Great Grandmother Rowe was born a Curry (maybe Ann is my long lost cousin!) The Curry's were in Michigan in 1880s haven't gone back any further yet.

Donna, I will have to check this out. Off the top of my head, there was a Henry Rhoads who was a photographer I believe.

Meli
April 5th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Meli i have to laugh about your interwoven southern roots. I'm from a very small town. everyone knew everyone(and their business) and it was always said everyone was related. after reading our family tree, it became apparent it was true. nearly all of the "old " families were related by marriage if not by blood

Bakermom, my "day job" is in a call center. I got a call one day from a woman in Claxton, Ga. I asked where that was, and she told me it was just up the road from my father's home town. I told her where Daddy was from. "What's their name? Maybe we know 'em?" I told her they've all passed away and are buried at (no lie) Watermelon Creek Baptist Church. "Really? My brother goes to church there every Sunday. Next time I talk to him, I'll tell him to go out back and say 'Hi' to your family." I laughed and we talked about how inbred the area is. "Oh, I know what you mean. I told my husband if he hadn't moved here from Savannah I'd've had to marry one of my cousins. He didn't believe me till we had a family reunion and the whole town turned out!"

BellasQuilts
April 5th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Totally into geneaology. Do you have a Latter Day Saints (aka Mormon) Church near you? If so, they will give you access to ancestry.com at the church for free. Little known factoid. If not, private msg me and I will check on ancestry for you.

Ginny B
April 5th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Yes, my sister, brother and I are working on researching all sorts of branches in our family tree. My father was born in Germany and came here as a child. It is very difficult to find any information for his family in Germany. My Irish side though was easier to research. First of all, there are more of them and we grew up with lots of aunts and uncles so we had quite a few names and stories to go by. German family names are Wiegand and Hahn and on the Irish side we've got Cox, Lenahan, & McGinty's.

Sunny, how did you go about getting the military records for your family? I would so love to get that for my dad. Just recently, my sister and I spent a weekend cleaning out some closets at her house (which is the house we grew up in) and we came across a picture of my dad's 2nd annual Company C reunion. We also have his uniform hat.

And then later on we came across an old phone/address book that was originally my grandparents (on my dad's side). We started looking through it and it was just amazing to see my grandfather's handwriting. When lo and behold all of a sudden I saw a name and address for someone in Teaneck, NJ and I remember going there a # of times with my grandparents but I couldn't remember who we were visiting. I had found my answer and it turned out to be a relative of the people they lived with when they first arrived in the US. They actually lived in Baltimore, MD when they first came here and we were obviously visiting a relative of these people and he was a doctor. I had known the name of the people in MD but didn't know that they were connected to the people we visited in NJ. You just never know where you are going to find little pieces of information. I am now on a quest to find out if somehow those people were actually relatives.

Everyone's stories are just so very interesting. What a great thread this is. :)

Ginny B

BellasQuilts
April 6th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Did search for my dad's side (Missourians!) and hubby's side (arkansas) and turns out we had cousins that married, so not sure what that means to us, but hubby and I are related waaaaaaaay back! Fun,huh? another one of theirs loved another one of ours - how cute!

BellasQuilts
April 6th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Oh, one more thing. I subscribe to ancestry.com so if you need some hints or a search let me know. I just found Donna's family after about 10 minutes and am anxious to share the data with her when she is back online. I'd be happy to help anyone out.

Meli
April 6th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I was just going to say the same thing Bella did. I also have an ancestry.com account and would be happy to help anyone out. Also, for those of you who are feeling intrepid, ancestry.com has succeeded in uploading the entire 1940 census. It is not indexed yet, which means you can't just type in a name and have the nice computer tell you which page to look at. However, if you have an idea of where your ancestor lived, you can go to that section of the census and read through the pages. Definitely lets me know how spoiled I am, but it's kind of fun!

CrazyMtnLady
April 7th, 2012, 09:28 AM
You gals with Ancestry.com are great. I checked into rejoining because I use to belong, but the cost has gone up so much. I do research on some of the free sites now, but some of them just bump you over to ancestry.com for the record. I may try to talk DH into letting me join for just a few months. That way I can do some research and be able to fill in some missing pieces.
But he isn't into genealogy so thinks it would be better to spend that money on groceries instead! Of course that's what I tell him about all his tools and hunting supplies. LOL
Thanks again for offering to help.

Did any of you see the episode of WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE with Martin Sheen. One of his great great great grandfathers (don't know how many back) was a Judge and tried to prosecute some lady. Then a couple generations later a descendant of the judge married a descendant of the lady he tried to prosecute. I thought that was amazing.
I love that show. They have a show on PBS also about finding you roots. I have seen that a couple times.

Ginny B
April 7th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Yes Donna, I love watching Who Do You Think You Are. It is amazing how they find out about such amazing twists and turns in the family history. I'll have to look for that show on PBS. Didn't hear about that one.

Ginny B

CrazyMtnLady
April 7th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Ginny, Finding Your Roots is hosted by Henry Louis Gates, Jr. They had Barbara Walters on there last week but I did get to watch it. I think in a preview her original family name was Warmwaters or something like that.
I thought that was funny.
here is a link to the website for Finding Your Roots. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/finding-your-roots/

Ginny B
April 9th, 2012, 01:00 AM
Thanks so much for the info Donna. I'll be checking it out.

Ginny B

CrazyMtnLady
April 10th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I want to publicly thank Bella for her help with ancestry.com. She made me cry by sending me a copy of this picture. It is my Great Grandfather Marcellus Worthington and Great Grandmother Lydia (Curry) Worthington. Standing are my Grandmother Bertha and her sister who was named as Minnie but I believe her real name was Martha.
I had never seen a picture of my Grandmother and new very little about her. Thank you again Bella.

Lisaau
April 10th, 2012, 12:06 PM
l,m directly related to the Scottish poet Robbie burns, queen Elizabeth the first...Mary queen of scots .... Caroline Chisholm a free settler from England to Australia she helped female convicts. Her face used to be on Australias currency...........and my dads cousin is the only man to beat Cassius clay (Mohammed Ali)...... His name is " Anthony Madigan "... My grandmothers name on my mums side... Was used for 7 generations in a row unbroken

mommadeb
April 10th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I'm quite involved in this too. I have walked and photographed some cemeteries in Iowa for the IAGenWeb and I have transcribed probably close to 500 pages of Iowa County history/obituaries and documents for the site. I enjoy giving back as I have found so much information and new friends and family!

My grandpa Bennett (from England) started and then my dad is keeping that side complete. They consist of Bennett/Kynett/Hoover/Hershey (from PA). On my mom's side, my grandma asked me about putting all this together. I gave her a "book" at Christmas with her family tree all organized and pictures and documents included. She comes from the Klever/Slager stock in Iowa. Three of the Klevers married three of the Slagers. Close family I guess-LOL. They were originally from the Germany/Denmark area and the Slagers from Austria.

My mom's dad and his family are Sperry's from England and then Connecticut area. In fact, I was working on this last night and found that Harriet Beecher Stowe is a distant relative of ours. Her great-grandmother was a Sperry. My grandpa's grandmother was a full-blood indian and her family was from around the Kentucky area. My grandpa himself was born and raised in the Chillicothe, Missouri area.

In fact, I made a post on here to Jenny about her daughter Hillary Sperry. I have not heard anything back, but I wonder if we could have a link somewhere. I will have to try and contact her again.

I also have Ancestry and tons of links to things if anyone needs any help.

BellasQuilts
April 10th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Aw, didn't want to make you cry Donna!
I want to publicly thank Bella for her help with ancestry.com. She made me cry by sending me a copy of this picture. It is my Great Grandfather Marcellus Worthington and Great Grandmother Lydia (Curry) Worthington. Standing are my Grandmother Bertha and her sister who was named as Minnie but I believe her real name was Martha.
I had never seen a picture of my Grandmother and new very little about her. Thank you again Bella.

BellasQuilts
April 10th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Well, thank you for the thread because I just discovered that Deb Bennett-Jonsson up in Iceland is related to me! Turns out we are related on both our father's sides of the family! Not only do you find friends for life here, but family too!

Meli
April 11th, 2012, 01:13 AM
Another great website is www.findagrave.com. You can do searches to see if there are pictures of headstones of your kindred dead. If you can't find them, you can request to have someone in that area go photograph the grave for you. It's great! Of course, if your genealogical research leads you to Utah, just email me.

CrazyMtnLady
April 11th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Bella, that is great to hear. I knew the one line of my signature was true: MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family! That is really exciting to hear about you and Deb.

Meli, thanks for the tip on findagrave. I have been to that website before but I haven't really looked into it. Guess I will have to get back in there and do some searching since I have a few more names on my family tree now.

Mimis-quilts
April 11th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I love old photographs! There is something about them that brings the history to life and what a treasure you have here that Bella found for you.

My mother and I started genealogy searching about 25 years ago, back before computers were popular in the home. We spent a lot of time in the library and trudging through cemeteries. We learned a lot about our family, met people we never knew existed, and of course found a skeleton or two. The biggest surprise was when we discovered that my dad's parents were actually 2nd cousins. Of course this was many years after my grandparent's died, so we have no way of knowing if they knew they were cousins.

My great-great grandfather on my mother's side of the family was paid by a rich man to take his place in the civil war...he lied about his age and said he was 18, when in fact he was 15. I have a copy of the papers that they filled out for this transaction.

Here are a few surnames of my family: Little (my maiden name), Caton, Matherly; Forbeck, Westnitzer, and Orman.

This has been a great thread...some of the histories are very interesting. Most of my family has been right here in the midwest-Indiana, Illinois and Kentucky. My grandpa Forbeck's family many generations ago came from Germany. Thanks for sharing everyone.

If you don't have a Family Tree Program I highly suggest getting one. It's amazing the info that can be input and then the spreadsheets that can be printed from it.

mommadeb
April 11th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Well, thank you for the thread because I just discovered that Deb Bennett-Jonsson up in Iceland is related to me! Turns out we are related on both our father's sides of the family! Not only do you find friends for life here, but family too!

More exactly, my maternal grandfather (his aunt) married a Bryan and that is how BellasQuilts and I are related.

mommadeb
April 11th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Another great website is www.findagrave.com. You can do searches to see if there are pictures of headstones of your kindred dead. If you can't find them, you can request to have someone in that area go photograph the grave for you. It's great! Of course, if your genealogical research leads you to Utah, just email me.

This site is invaluable. I have used it many times myself. I have even been able to fulfill photo requests with what I have done. Itīs also free if you want to register with FindAGrave.

brittyboo07
April 11th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I do work on our family tree every now and then. I have used rootsweb.com all of the work I have done has been free but I want a subscription to ancestry.com so bad I can taste it! It is expensive though. My hope is to one day have a binder with photos, birth-marriage-death certificates of each family member but who knows when I will have time to do all that! I did connect with a family cousin through roots web though so that was pretty cool. She was able to provide me with a few photos. It is so weird to see what happened and the names of some of my ancestors wow lol.

mommadeb
April 11th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Another great place to look if you have Missouri relatives is at the Missouri Death Index. You can look at digital copies of actual death certificates from 1910-1961 online and print them out for free. Here is the link: www.sos.mo.gov/archives/resources/deathcertificates.

Funniest one (in a morbid way) was of a 100 year old negro man. Official cause of death: worn out.

Meli
April 11th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Another great place to look if you have Missouri relatives is at the Missouri Death Index. You can look at digital copies of actual death certificates from 1910-1961 online and print them out for free. Here is the link: www.sos.mo.gov/archives/resources/deathcertificates.

Funniest one (in a morbid way) was of a 100 year old negro man. Official cause of death: worn out.

I LOVE that website! My only frustration with it is that it doesn't go far enough to cover everyone I'm looking for! lol Wish all the states would do this!

brittyboo07
April 11th, 2012, 02:35 PM
I wish all the states would do this too! Geneology should be more user friendly and less expensive!

mommadeb
April 11th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I LOVE that website! My only frustration with it is that it doesn't go far enough to cover everyone I'm looking for! lol Wish all the states would do this!

Keep checking. They added 1961 several months ago. Hopefully 1962 will be out soon.

CrazyMtnLady
April 12th, 2012, 08:16 AM
I wish all the states would do this too! Geneology should be more user friendly and less expensive!

I agree with that 100%. I think that it should be a lot less expensive. There are some sites that let you search for free, but then when you find info you need it sends you to Ancestry.com which is WAY out of my budget. I think public libraries should offer there info online also. They could charge a nominal fee for a "online library card" that would let you search there genealogy files and old newspaper files.

MRoy
April 12th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Thanks to Megan (BELLAQUILTS) I now have photos of my great-grandfather and some great uncles and I can see their resemblance to my dad. Megan, thank you so much for finding these for me!!

Meli
April 12th, 2012, 06:52 PM
I agree with that 100%. I think that it should be a lot less expensive. There are some sites that let you search for free, but then when you find info you need it sends you to Ancestry.com which is WAY out of my budget. I think public libraries should offer there info online also. They could charge a nominal fee for a "online library card" that would let you search there genealogy files and old newspaper files.

While it's a LONG LONG LONG way from complete, the LDS church is working to make all the same data that ancestry.com has available online at no charge. In the meantime, you can go to your local Family History Library and use their resources, which includes access to ancestry.com. Not as convenient as curled up on the sofa in your bunny slippers, but lots less expensive than paying for something you may not use on a regular basis.

CrazyMtnLady
April 13th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I LOVE my bunny slippers! LOL.. My problem is living in the boonies it is so far to go to a library and I don't drive so DH would have to take me and he would be SOOOOOO bored! I really need to bite the bullet and take the test and get my license again. I just hate the way people drive here in SW Missouri, it scares me to death. And the roads are so narrow with no guard rails or shoulders on most of the roads. And the ditches are terrible.
I will check out the LDS site though. My gggrandmother in England was a quaker! Maybe that's why I am so pure! LOL

mommadeb
April 13th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Well, Hillary and I are distantly related. Her husband's great great grandpa was my great grandpa's brother. Small world. One question and I gained relatives. Have any of the rest of you found any relatives on here?

CrazyMtnLady
April 13th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Not yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if others find relatives. I am finding more and more names I never knew were in the family tree. Of course they would be very distant relatives but it would be great to find a few shirt-tail cousins out there.
Some of the names I am finding. Provines, Mollenhaus, Ayres, Cope, Bash, Burrell, Allen, Cambron, Wildrick and so many more.
Atleast I haven't found that I am related to my husband yet. LOL

BellasQuilts
April 19th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Well, now I found out I am related to EsGrandma on here as well. The world is getting smaller, and smaller.

Sandy Navas
April 19th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Well, now I found out I am related to EsGrandma on here as well. The world is getting smaller, and smaller.

I think you have some very wonderful relatives. Keep digging!!

madampolo
April 29th, 2012, 05:14 PM
If you are interested in doing your geneology, buy the software Family Tree Maker which is about $40. Then buy a subscription to Ancestry.com, which is expensive. It cost about $200 annually. It is worth it. The software searches the extensive databases in Ancestry.com, and when you find a match, it merges it into your family tree - so no typing. I have over 1,600 names on my tree. Of course, that is because I have the names of not only my parents, but my late husband's and my current husband's, as well as my daughter in law and son in law's. If you have grandchildren, they need all of that information. My mother in law was a member of the DAR as well, and so on her side we have it back to the 1600's or so. My daughter and granddaughters can be a member of DAR as a result, but not me since that is through her father's side. The last January, we were in Salt Lake and went to their family library. They have people there that help you. What did they do but take me to Ancestry.com!

Suzyq
April 29th, 2012, 06:37 PM
HI! Yes,I started genealogy several months ago, mainly using ancestry.ca..yes it's pricey, so I only book a month or so on it during the year. Boy have I uncovered some juicy stuff, even found the manifest of the ship on which my,grandparents came to Canada from England. There is also the site by the Latter Day Saints folks that is good too but not,sure if u can access the original documents. A very,addictive hobby it is!

phoots
April 30th, 2012, 02:05 AM
I have dabbled just a bit, but my BIL has been doing research. My maiden name is Wiggin. Supposedly someone in the family has traced the name back to a king in England. My cousin on my Mom's side is researching that side of the family. Mom's maiden name is Jolliff and it's Scotch-Irish. I don't know the story but at some point part of the family moved to Mexico and started a cattle ranch. It's was next to a famous ranch, the Mehling Ranch. My cousin has a lot of old family pictures from Mexico. At some point a bandito was terrorizing the ranchers in Mexico and the US Navy sent a ship down to evacuate the US citizens. My family left Mexico at that point and settled in San Diego, CA.

Pam in Vegas

janluna
May 4th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Love all these histories! I should start researching my family. Supposedly, I am related to Mary Jemison, the white women of the Genesee. She was kidnapped by native americans and became the wife of one of the Seneca Indian Chiefs. Her daughters married a man by the name of Allen and lived on Silver Lake in Perry NY. My GGrandmother married a man named Peck but she made sure my grandfather's middle name was Allen so her family would not be forgotten. I guess both Peck and Allen were not so nice to their wives. This is my Dad's side.
My Mom's side were Johnson, Uhl. My Grandmother married her 2nd cousin. A doctor I once met told me that people who married 2nd cousins usually passed on health problems to their offspring. In my family it was Migraines and female problems. I don't know if this is true but they did have problems with people who were inbred.
On my Mom's side most of the family is English and German. Also the name DeWick and Andrews comes up.
On Daddy's side it was Peck, Allen, and Ferren or Farren. My Aunt says Farren (an) was my grandmothers maiden name. And He was Dutch. My Aunt and Father were half brother and sister. Grandma was the link. However, Grandpa said his people were native americans, Irish, and scottish. Mary Jemison was Scottish. I'd love to know if I was related to her. She stayed with her chief and remained with the natives from the age of 12 until her death. Even though she was given the chance later in life to return to her own people. The govt. gave her land on the flood plain of the Genesee River. She lived in what is now Letchworth State park in New York. She helped broker peace treaties with the govt. and the Seneca Nation. She finally left when she was in her 80's or 90's and lived her life out in an Indian Reservation in Buffalo, NY. They have a Statue of her carrying her son on her back, to mark her grave in the park. Her wish was to return to her beloved Genesee River. That's all I know about my people. I also could not afford Ancestry.com but I will check out the other sites you mentioned. Thanks for the great thread!

CrazyMtnLady
May 4th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Jan, I can understand your desire to find the link to Mary Jemison. I always wanted to be related to Francis Slocum a white girl that was taken by Indians as a small girl in Indiana and lived her entire life with them. My father always said there was native american blood in me so I would dream that Francis was my many times great grandmother. But ... nope. I still have not been able to tie in the native american bloodline in my search.

I sent my niece the picture of my great-grandfather, great-grandmother, grand-mother and great-aunt that Bella sent to me and she is very interested in helping me search. Since she lives in Indiana it will be easier for her to go to a library or court house and do some searching. I just need to figure out dates and such for her to look for.

I am so glad a few of you have found that you are related here.

Bubby
May 4th, 2012, 05:58 PM
My ancestors (McClary and Nigh) were from County Cork in Ireland. I'm the third generation of our family born in America. My family had a large number of math professors and military personnel and strategists. It was passed verbally through our family that all the women were good seamstresses or with any type of handwork. My greatgrammy (Rose Nigh) made the lace for my wedding gown. I know very little about most of my ancestors, but plan to launch a search soon. Has anyone tried Ancestry.com or any of the other geneological sites? :)

Genny
May 4th, 2012, 08:03 PM
I've never traced my families roots but I've always wondered about the county my dad was born in. It's Barry County Missouri. If anyone one here has any info on it I'd love to hear about it. Dad was born in 1912 and his last name was Seals.