PDA

View Full Version : Saturday hellos

Blondie
March 31st, 2012, 07:45 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/smiling-baby.jpg
Happy Official Start of the Weekend, folksies!

It is gently raining outside. I am praying that is ALL it will do. Gentle rain I think I can handle. Frog Chokers, send those to areas that are desolate and need it. Thanks, Lord.

Well, after work yesterday afternoon I did nothing profitable. I took a brief nap on the sofa with Gracie, and then just piddled about the house and yard. I had a mystery plant that came up a few years back and never flowered. Just pretty lacy looking greens. Well, it bloomed! It is a poppy. I must have sown it and forgot who what where and when. I do that frequently. It is always a pleasant surprise when something comes up. I used to journal everything but decided I wasn't really OCD enough so, surprises work for me.

Hopefully the rain will be short lived here. Hubs plans to go to BIL's and help with some big chores up there. Daughter's sweetie is joining in the help brigade. Then we will all meet back here in the afternoon for refreshments. Most likely hot dogs and burgers.

Becki, enjoy your ride to Charlotte. Have you ever gone to MaryJo's in Gastonia??? Oy vay! It is a sensory overload experience. Haven't been in a few years but I still dream of that huge store with nothing but fabric, notions and an occasional glimpse of Mary Jo on roller skates.

Everyone enjoy your day.

aliaslaceygreen
March 31st, 2012, 07:50 AM
Good morning!!
I love the idea of not being OCD enough to record everything, that is TOTALLY me...

The IDEA of having a record, seeing other people's diaries, is always such a turn on...I think I TOO could do that!!

Yeah, RIGHT. I have tried with art, with quilts... it's all up there in my head, till it isn't!

Yay for surprises then!

The rain is headed our way, if you could hold it till a bit after noon, that would be great!

We are headed off to the Monument Ave 10k in a bit, with 40,000 other soon to be wet people, apparently...Our wave doesn't start till 10:12,...so, noon should be just about right!

Then the rest of the day is dedicated to CLEANING THE DARNED HOUSE!

Have a great weekend!

Shirley
March 31st, 2012, 09:04 AM
HI Blondie, you and your family have a wonderful weekend.

bec
March 31st, 2012, 09:23 AM
Good morning all! We had a little rain last night and it looks like we could get a little more this morning. I think it's suppose to be very pleasant today, though.

My list of things to do is very long today, so I'll probably have to pick and choose what actually gets done. I definitely need to do some laundry and finish my taxes. I'm also contemplating how to quilt the "crossroads" quilt top that I just finished. I want to do some free motion quilting on it, but I don't think I want stippling.

My DH built a couple of new birdhouses and repaired the others that we have. We have a pair of blue birds and a pair of chickadees building again this year. They are so much fun to watch when they start feeding the babies.

Well, sitting here isn't getting my list shortened, so off I go. Have a great day!

ginampls
March 31st, 2012, 09:42 AM
I have a good plan for today... rearrange DD furnature and clean. make ready for twin bed to come. it is going to be so nice for her to have the plaay space. and i can add a table for her to draw at...or do homework.. I am not looking forward to the lost things under her current bed....my room is getting overwhelming...but its not a real problem....

was visiting with next door neighbor and learned that she quilts...she showed me her current quilt, a memory one for her grand son.
I showed her me haft done top for DD. hearts. i also showed her the fans from the block swap....her said it looked very nice. shewants to see them once they are finished. so perhaps with DD getting the new arranged room. i will have more gumption to get on it.

i also gave her this web address. so hopfully she will check it out. i told her about the videos.. and the daily deals. mrs j. said she would check it out...

rain here. but not too worried about about it. suppose to clear up by noon...so they say...once i get room squared away I'll try to post pictures...

cyndiofthevortex
March 31st, 2012, 10:13 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm off to a baby shower! What a nice way to spend the morning. She's the daughter of a quilter so I wasn't able to make her a baby quilt, which I love to do. I hope to see a nice one from her mom today, though.

My DD is also coming up from her home in MA with my DGDs! I sure love to see those cute little girls, ages 1, 3 and 4. She had her babies one after the other, didn't she? We'll spend the day together after the shower.

I hope you're not all tired of hearing about my Polka Dot Swap quilt! It is 3/4 quilted. I probably won't have the time today to work on it (maybe tonight, but I work best with real daylight) and I hope to be binding that giant thing this coming week. It might take as long to bind it as it did to quilt it, as I just did SITD all around and through the blocks. I'm getting more in love with it as I work on it! I'm so glad I joined that swap, my first one.

Cloudy, maybe rain here but south of us they are getting snow! That just seems wrong.

Hope you all have peace and joy in your day, whatever it is you are doing!

Cyndi

CrazyMtnLady
March 31st, 2012, 10:14 AM
Good morning. I was trying to sleep in but DH decided that turning the volume on the security camera up to listen for turkeys was a good idea. Then he didn't turn the volume down and went out to the deck (where the mic on the camera) and got in the hot tub! Needless to say I am not a happy cheerful person this morning! He has no consideration in his body!

But on a happier note. The sun is shining, the birds are singing and it is a beautiful day. I am going to build me a couple shelves for my sewing area and to some organizing and cleaning. I will check the forecast and make sure it isn't going to rain and maybe do some laundry also.

Have a great day.

LynneLeavell
March 31st, 2012, 10:28 AM
Looks like the rain is out of here for the day. We had a nice gentle rain all night. My daughter just announced she wanted to go look at cars today which means no sewing for me. I will either have to go with her and help with the boys or stay and watch the boys. My vote is to let there daddy watch them but he really doesn't have anything or the time so he says to spend with them. But yet he causes grief for my daughter. They never were married so that made her leaving him easier.

Oh well guess I will get moving and see what the day holds and how much sewing I might get done.

Hope everyone has a great day. If you are getting rain stay dry if you have nice weather hope you are able to enjoy it.

Sandy Navas
March 31st, 2012, 10:33 AM
Ah, Saturday. Is that the weekend? You know once you retire it just doesn't seem to matter much - except I do try to keep it in mind so I don't leave the house to try to accomplish shopping with the crowds. Spent yesterday getting the mowers up and ready, got the front 40 mowed!! Al said he was going to work on the back 40 today but I have convinced him that I will forgo sewing if he'll help me do some general clean-up and clearing at the front of the house. Leaves from last fall's dropping are still cluttering my flower beds in the front.

Talk about mystery plants, Blondie. I have one - can't for the life of me remember what I found out it is though - something that my sister was familiar with when she lived in Germany. Anyway it came up one year, then the next, and after several years of wondering what it was it sent up stalks and bloomed - oh did it bloom. Lovely purple clusters at the end of this stalk. So, Sis saw it and recognized it and I was able to do a bit of research and find out about it. Claimed it would only survive a couple years - but this one has been coming back for about 8 years now . . . I need to check today and see if it is still there this year. Love to see the new plants coming up. Last year I was aghast at Al because he cut down my bleeding heart and yesterday noticed this pink bit of trash in the yard only to find out that it is back and loaded with blooms!! Love it.

Okay - that means no sewing going on unless I don't hurt myself too badly with clean-up efforts. Sierra came over yesterday late and worked on surprise 'birthday party' gifts for the two birthday girls new American Girl dolls . . . three girls - two planning a surprise for one and two planning a surprise for the other . . . and no one knows what's happening. It's been fun. Anyway she made a pair of pajamas for one of the dolls and still has to finish another pair. They came out cute.

One day, soon, I hope, I'll get the silhouette quilt finished.

Oh, and I found out that my new machine is a 66-16 Singer (which I didn't have yet) and she is a beaut. Her original owner was Bernice so that's going to be her name. I still need to find a stitch plate though . . . hopefully the lady I bought her from will find the original this weekend - she promised to look. Bernice was born in 1947 and looks as if she has never been used - although I am not sure I can deal with the Shabby Chic-ness of the cabinet. Time will tell.

Does anyone notice that I get on here and start to ramble . . . so I'll get off - after uplifting my daily prayers for all my friends who need them, sending hugs to everyone here. And, if you won the Mega-Bucks in Maryland I'll be waiting for my portion of the check to be deposited in my account.

Lola2Ace
March 31st, 2012, 11:45 AM
Good Morning all! I am in the process of cleaning out the little bedroom, that I messed up in the process of cleaning out my sewing room. The pile to go to Goodwill or donated somewhere is growing. I am hoping to get the Singer that I bought a year ago set up somewhere so I can test her out...no name yet, and I am up for suggestions! Sandy, I wish I had asked the lady I bought her from what her Mother's name had been (the original owner), love that idea! The cabinet had been in not so good shape so I had it redone, and it's beautiful now. Best $$ spent, the guy only charged me $40, but I gave him a substantial bonus for a job well done. Well, back to the grindstone, so maybe just maybe I can sew a bit later. I have 3 tablerunners, a baby boy romper (my 1st foray into sewing w/knit) and a quilt I want to start ALL calling my name! Prayers and hugs to all who need them!

Jean Sewing Machine
March 31st, 2012, 12:01 PM
Just gave my "Scoot" baby quilt to my friend who is having her second baby. #1 child is in college, so they are starting over from scratch gathering baby things! Lots has changed in the baby world in 20 years! Then I'm going to make some costumes later on today. Have fun outside! I need to clean my weedy algae filled fish pond, it is a hot mess right now.

toggpine
March 31st, 2012, 12:35 PM
Good Morning!

I have been slowly knocking out some of the house chores this last week. Not quite pull-everything-out-of-the-room cleaning, but the stuff you only do every few months kinds of things.

Now that I don't feel so guilty about the house with company coming over for Easter, I can get back to the regular schedule. I want to knock out the last few blocks for Sarah and hopefully get Laura's done by the end of next week. I have a decent audiobook and hopefully few interruptions!

We had a few garden surprises this spring. We planted a few new bleeding-heart plants last year and only one of them made a weak attempt at poking it's head up. We figured they were duds or had been frozen/damaged somewhere along the way. Imagine our surprise when they come poking out beneath the hydrangeas! I guess they just needed a bit of time to settle into their new dirt. I am still waiting to see if the gerbera daisy I was gifted survived the winter. I always find it interesting what they say is an annual/perennial doesn't always mean they are. My primroses are listed as annuals and have been blooming for 7 years, especially if I keep the slugs off of them.
Off to go feed the goatlets! They are so cute when they are this size!
You all have a good day no matter what the weather!
Cathy

MRoy
March 31st, 2012, 01:27 PM
Good morning or afternoon depending on where you are...it's been rainy here yesterday and today. I can't mow the yard and it's going to get really "hairy" before it gets clipped. The grass is so green that it looks more like early summer than March 31. Blondie's poppy made me think of my mom. She always had poppies growing beside the garden fence. They had big, pink fluffy blooms. Mom would save the seeds so she could always have poppies.

I have my mom's Singer treadle sewing machine. I'm the only one of her 3 children that sews. I need to get the cabinet refinished. Lola, $40 + a bonus sounds like a great price.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day!