PDA

View Full Version : Stolen from the Daily Deal Posting

K. McEuen
March 29th, 2012, 02:55 AM
I just checked out the daily deal posting and had to laugh at this story.

"I asked Al to share a funny story about his parents and was rewarded with this gem:
“When we were kids, Mom and Dad went to see the movie "Hook" on a date night. they came home and decided we needed to have a family "Lost Boys" dinner. So while we oblivious children followed along in good faith, we all cooked pots of mashed potatoes and put food coloring in them. We went to the backyard for our dinner on the picnic table. All we had out there were pots of boiling hot mashed potatoes (Mom and Dad didn't think to let them cool) and we all served ourselves a little plate of "Lost Boys" food and us kids awkwardly sat nibbling at the soupy mashed potatoes. Dad led out with a "hey Natalie, catch this" and flung a spoonful of mashed potatoes at my sister. It was really hot and she started crying. Not to be deterred, Mom and Dad continued to pelt all us children with spoonfuls of boiling hot mashed potatoes. We finally gathered our wits, and started fighting back with spoonfuls of our own, and it turned out to be one of our most epic family food fights we ever had.”"

I think my favorite line was "Mom and Dad continued to pelt all us children with spoonfuls of boiling hot mashed potatoes". If someone did that in today's world they'd probably be accused of child abuse. That and I think the Doan family should give tutorials on how to make boiling hot mashed potatoes. By the time I have mine whipped with the butter and cream added, they aren't that hot.

Oh for the simpler times of being a kid.

I remember when I was about 5 and Doritos had just come out. We were in the dining room having dinner. I don't remember what we were eating, but we had the new Doritos with our meal! Imagine the scene, a family of 6 all sitting around the table, stuffing their mouths with whatever, and all of a sudden we must have all decided to chew Doritos at the same time because it was LOUD. I have to preface this with the fact that my dad was hard of hearing even then, having lost a good portion of his higher range of hearing due to being a machinist. Anyway, because of the crunching, the giggles started. At the point my dad noticed there were 4 kids laughing, snorting and probably passing bits of milk and Doritos out of their noses. Even my mom was laughing. He totally missed the whole CRUNCH thing that had happened to start all the laughter. Being the youngest, I had to sit by my dad, on his right. He reached out and smacked me on the back of the head and said "No laughing at the table!" Of course the rest of them laughed that much louder. To this day the 4 of us kids can't be in the same room eating chips of any kind without starting to snicker.

rebeccas-sewing
March 29th, 2012, 05:19 AM
That was fun! I love it when folks tell stories from their past. I have fond memories of days in Richmond as a child. We had an old swing hanging from chains and those old metal chairs from the early 60's. We'd sit out there on hot summer nights to find some cooler air. We didn't have air conditioning back then. My mom's family were great story tellers. When my uncles would come over for a visit they'd tell wonderful stories from their youth. They would keep us entertained out there for hours.

The Doritos story is pretty funny! I bet you have lots of good stories to tell, coming from a large family.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 29th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Those stories made me love the Doan famiy even more, it was so nice of them to share that with their customers.

Blondie
March 29th, 2012, 07:57 AM
I read that as well and laughed long and hard. Al is a natural born story teller.

CrazyMtnLady
March 29th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Both stories were funny. Good thing my coffee cup was empty or I would be sputtering coffee all over my computer right now.

Here's one for you.

My youngest brother Mark (deceased) was a little "slow". When we were kids, Mom and Dad always did their grocery shopping on Fridays after Dad got home from work. One day, after they got home and we had help carry in the grocery sacks and were putting the groceries away, Mark stopped putting the groceries away and grabbed the loaf of bread, a knife and a jar off the table that Mom had just bought. He started to make himself a sandwich. I started laughing really hard, but didn't say anything. Mom asked what was funny (but I wasn't going to say) then she saw what Mark was doing and yelled at him to "Stop! What are you doing?" Mark said he wanted to try the new "jelly" she bought. Then she started laughing because it was Vasolline....PETROLEUM JELLY! I wanted to see him eat it... I was a cruel sister....

KiltedQuilter
March 29th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Those are the kind of stories that make memories, so cute!

GrammaBabs
March 29th, 2012, 10:23 AM
The Doan family life story, is exactly what i pictured... loving fun family, that enjoys life and sharing that enthusiasum with everyone...My life was FULL of such family sagas.... always having our GrandParents living (Mom') and up the road (Dad's)... never missed a weekend without a visit... which carried on thru my children.. and for us until both of our Parents passed... just a way of life for us...
Thus the family saying..."We're not here for a LONG time, we're here for a GOOD time"....................hugs B

KiltedQuilter
March 29th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Awww! I LOVE that family motto Babs!
So true.

CrazyMtnLady
March 29th, 2012, 10:57 AM
."We're not here for a LONG time, we're here for a GOOD time".. That is sooooo true. And that was actually used recently in a country song. I love it.

Sandy Navas
March 29th, 2012, 11:06 AM
You all know I can't let a story pass without one of my own . . . but this is a noisy and personal one.

I didn't start college until I was close to 30 . . . so you would think I was somewhat mature, right? Naw! And, given my life learning and advanced mental capacity (ha!) I didn't have a difficult time of it. Taking an anatomy and physiology class with about 300 other students, most thought I had to be pretty stupid because on test days I'd get up and walk out before anyone (I was acing the class - hurt my shoulder patting myself on the back). And so, unbeknown to most of the other students I became somewhat of a 'teacher's pet'. I just couldn't do no wrong.

Fast forward - had lunch out with some of the 'girls' one day and at the restaurant check out they had packages of "POP ROCKS". Anyone remember those? I had never seen them . . . so I bought five or six packages. Anatomy and physiology immediately after lunch. I pop all the packs of POP ROCKS into my mouth at once. Well, the noise echoed in the auditorium and came out my mouth, my nose, my ears and I am certain the professor thought she was under attack by AK47s. Needless to say, I was kicked out of class.

Later I found out that she was laughing about the incident and nothing more was said about it but occasionally she'd look at me and snicker.

CrazyMtnLady
March 29th, 2012, 11:19 AM
OMG. Sandy my sides hurt. I can't stop laughing.... HELP!

K. McEuen
March 29th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Haha, I remember pop rocks. They've tried bringing them back recently.

We had Fizzies when I was a kid. Parents never bought soda when we were young, but we got Fizzies. They were tablets that you would drop into a glass of water and they would dissolve, much like an Alka-Seltzer, flavoring and carbonating the water. They had all flavors. Mom finally stopped buying the cherry ones after we scared her half to death one day. We were out messing around in the front yard. We still lived in San Diego, so I was probably about 4, sister was 10, brother was 12 and the oldest sister was 15. We had been breaking the tablets into little pieces and putting them in our mouths. It sort of tickled and didn't taste terrible. Anyway, I popped a whole cherry one in my mouth. It was foaming and fizzing and red was seeping out of the corners of my mouth. My brother said it looked like blood. So the idea was born ... I fell over in the yard, mouth agape, red liquid foaming and bubbling out of my mouth and running down my face. My one sister screamed and of course mom came running. Mom was an RN. She almost passed out when she saw me, then grabbed me and started shaking me, hard. I thought my head would pop off. I guess in those days that was CPR, who knows. My brother and sisters were laughing. I was choking on all the crap in my mouth at that point so mom thought her revival tactics were working. We finally got it across to her that there was nothing wrong with me. She dropped me and took off chasing the rest of them. Needless to say she was a bit ticked off, but finally started laughing about it when she got tired of chasing the other three.

SuzyQue
March 29th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I remember Fizzies-----they were fun.....but I am still laughing over your story! So funny! That will be hard to beat.

JimsQueenie
March 29th, 2012, 02:19 PM
i read all these stories and cracked up----

CrazyMtnLady
March 29th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I had forgotten all about Fizzies. I loved those things. I use to sing the Alka-Seltzer song when I dropped them into the water too.

K. McEuen
March 29th, 2012, 02:38 PM
The last time I was at a Cracker Barrel restaurant they had packages of Fizzies in their "retro" candy section. I couldn't bring myself to buy any. They probably taste terrible and I didn't want to remember them that way.

cyndiofthevortex
March 29th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I certainly can't top the funny stories here. You guys are so funny! But I want to tell one from raising my own seven children. Jacob, (age 11) stared Timmy (aged 9) down at the breakfast table. "Thanks for putting whipped cream on my hair while I was asleep!" Tim said, "I didn't!" Joe, (13) said, "I did that Tim for you putting whipped cream all over my hands while I was sleeping! I got some in my eyes!" Bethany, (15) said, "I put the whipped cream on you Joe for shortsheeting my bed!" "I didn't shortsheet your bed!" They really were all glaring at one another. I finally asked, "Okay, who started all this and shortsheeted Bethany's bed? Up a little hand went, and the guilty party confessed. It was 5 year old Daniel! He was sooooooo proud of himself!

Cyndi

Judy~Ann
March 29th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I too love all of your stories...... they are a part of who we are today.

I was born in Alabama and my parents retired there after my dad served in the military for 20 years. It almost brings me to tears to tell you that wonderful, sweet, and gentle man saw battle in three wars as a US Marine. He was in WWll at 17, then Korea and finally Viet Nam before he retired. None of that changed his wonderful sense of humor. About a year before his death, much of his family gathered one evening and we sat on the screened in patio to visit. Now my father was one of a long time of great story tellers, and several of those were gathered that night. The patio wasn't all that large, and it was filled way beyond capacity with my daddy, aunt, uncle, and as many cousins as could fit... even more cousins standing in the open door. For hours they laughed and told stories about growing up in rural Alabama, and I hated to see that evening end. It was truly magical to see and hear my 82 year old daddy so filled with animation and with joy. I remember thinking to myself, "I really need to go to the bathroom but if I get up, someone will my seat!"

alwaysinmyroom
March 29th, 2012, 03:39 PM
It was so nice to read a personal story on the deal of the day...I was trying to imagine Jenny as a hippie... :D

I am always happy to see family stories...I feel very blessed that my family had more happy memories than bad ones...I hope that the youngsters coming up today will realize that family is very important and can be the best part of life...

Loved reading these stories...they are what makes us all part of the same human race...laughing to the point of tears is the best!!

janluna
March 29th, 2012, 11:16 PM
I have a story that happened the other day. My son, Joe and his wife Heather, (Emily's parents) realized that just their family were home. Joe wasn't at work, Heather's Mom had gone home, there was no "Luna". Heather made a special dinner. As they all sat down, said grace, and tucked into their dinner, Heather looked lovingly around the table, and said, "Isn't nice having family for dinner!?! " 5 year old Sarah looked up with disgust on her face and said, "WE ARE EATING A FAMILY??!!!??!!! Leave it to Sarah, she is so funny. I told Heather, thank you, for telling me this story as I needed the laugh. Hugs, Jan L.

ChristineB
March 29th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Yes, it was very nice to see a picture of Jenny and her husband and to get a bit of a glimpse into their family life through the story about the hot potatoes. I can just imagine being there! Families were simple back then and even though they were strict (a lot more than today), they also had really good times with each other! I grew up in a family with 4 kids and I also have many funny stories about the "good ol' days" without televisions and computers and cell phones. We entertained each other, rode our bikes around the neigbourhood without fear, and stayed out until the street lights came on! Those were the good ol' days!!
I enjoyed reading all your stories and laughed a lot out loud!