PDA

View Full Version : My early morning sewing room blues!

Jean Sewing Machine
March 26th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I have to devote the sewing room for the next few weeks to costume construction, instead of quilt making. I have two shows that will start a week apart in April, one on April 13, and one on April 20. I have most of the stuff collected, one show was costumed mostly from closets and thrift stores, and from the college costume collection where I work. The other has some elements that could be gathered, and my best costume queen buddy is in this show, actually two costume queen buddies are in it, so they helped me out with things for themselves. But, I got word from the director last Wednesday that they needed to be fully dressed by tomorrow for publicity pictures! Yikes! We are improvising on many things, but I needed to build a costume for the King and Queen, maid and doctor for this photo shoot. The biggest issue was the queen, because we had bits and pieces of the other costumes.

So Queenie's costume is a Renaissance costume in peach and lace, cut tight and low enough to let the audience admire two of her finest assets! Bejeweled and busty, that's that this queen will be! I started on the corset vest yesterday, and got pretty far on it last night, in fact, it was finished except for needing buttonholes to lace the lacing through to tie it on her. Then, my wonderful Janome Horizon makes such wonderful buttonholes, I set about putting them in. I decided at the last minute to add two more button holes below the waistline, and when I sewed BOTH of them, I caught the fabric for the back of the peplum in the buttonholes! They were made to stay in forever, so taking them out and redoing them took a whole hour to redo! I had to be careful how I picked them out, because the fabric is brocade, and would be damaged with rough treatment! Got them out, new ones in and on to the next part of the build, the blouse. So far, it is finished, except for lace on one sleeve.

I hope to make her skirt this afternoon, and the King's silk Pajamas tomorrow. It will be tight, but it possibly can be done. We have back up pajamas for him for the photo shoot, so he will not be naked.

By the way, this play is called "Exit the King", he is dying but can't quite get it through his head that whoops, you're going bye-bye, King! His crazy court keeps trying to remind him of the reality of it all, but he denies it. Slowly, slowly, we say goodbye. Although it sounds sad, and is a serious subject, it is from the theatre of the absurd, and has a lot of humorous moments. The other show is "The Foreigner", which is also hilarious. I have some costumes to make for that, which I will not disclose what they are, lest you call the FBI on me! If you are too curious, you'll have to look on line to see if you can see any pictures of the show to see what I'm talking about!

In the fall, I'm going to do "Sweeney Todd"--so my subject matter of plays I'm costuming this year is not exactly what you would say uplifting!

Jean Sewing Machine
March 26th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Here's how far I am so far.

CrazyMtnLady
March 26th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Oh, sounds wonderful... Please post pics of the costumes.

Okay as soon as I hit enter message your second one popped up with pictures....LOL Looks beautiful

Genny
March 26th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Your sewing is amazing! This is going to be beautiful!

Divine Daisy
March 26th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Pops in for a quick peek........

Very nice! I used to make costumes too till I got tired of directors doing just what you discribed and not giving time for fittings and then there are the prima donas who have size 58 inch bust and 45 inch waist who insist that yessssss they can wear a plunge necked frock with no back! closes eyes and breathssssssssss. So I took my scissors and fabric and machines and what was left of my one remaining nerve, stuck my nose in the air and retired after 15 years lol.
I think my best shows were a Christmas Carol........brilliant fun with the ghosts, made the ghost of Christmas present a white bejewelled Elvis costume with a white dreadlocks wig, and Marley's ghost........well! he was truely grim with slimey bits that kind of oozed off him. You know you have done a good job when you dress and make up the actor, he looks in the mirror and goes.eeeeeeeeeeeeew!!

The other show I adored was Mother Goose. That goose was unbelievable to make.....the actor was 6ft 7 apart from anything else and I sneezed feathers for week but oh my it was great fun.

Ok off back to the taxi work, Mr Daisy just texted for his lift. Good luck with the shows, I would come and blitz it with you if I could, as long as you dealt with the director and the prima donnas!

Cathy F
March 26th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Thanks for posting some pictures, your costumes are going to be lovely! Good luck with playing "beat the clock" hope it all turns out well!

Jean Sewing Machine
March 26th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Pops in for a quick peek........

Very nice! I used to make costumes too till I got tired of directors doing just what you discribed and not giving time for fittings and then there are the prima donas who have size 58 inch bust and 45 inch waist who insist that yessssss they can wear a plunge necked frock with no back! closes eyes and breathssssssssss. So I took my scissors and fabric and machines and what was left of my one remaining nerve, stuck my nose in the air and retired after 15 years lol.
I think my best shows were a Christmas Carol........brilliant fun with the ghosts, made the ghost of Christmas present a white bejewelled Elvis costume with a white dreadlocks wig, and Marley's ghost........well! he was truely grim with slimey bits that kind of oozed off him. You know you have done a good job when you dress and make up the actor, he looks in the mirror and goes.eeeeeeeeeeeeew!!

The other show I adored was Mother Goose. That goose was unbelievable to make.....the actor was 6ft 7 apart from anything else and I sneezed feathers for week but oh my it was great fun.

Ok off back to the taxi work, Mr Daisy just texted for his lift. Good luck with the shows, I would come and blitz it with you if I could, as long as you dealt with the director and the prima donnas!

See,maybe we share a brain, just continents apart! I haven't had many diva directors, an occasional diva actor or actress, but some procrastinators! But maybe I'm one of them, so I shouldn't complain.

Hope Mr. daisy's treatments don't lay him too low! When my hubby was laid low, i sure knew it! He'd tell the doctor he was fine, then come home and tell me his symptoms! That was difficult!

BellasQuilts
March 26th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Jean, it looks lovely so far! Jean and Allison, your stories sound like what my DD#1 tells me! Here is a link to her website http://www.anayacullen.com so you can see the pretty ballet outfits she makes (can you tell I am a proud mommy!) in her gallery.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 26th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Jean, it looks lovely so far! Jean and Allison, your stories sound like what my DD#1 tells me! Here is a link to her website http://www.anayacullen.com so you can that one see the pretty ballet outfits she makes (can you tell I am a proud mommy!) in her gallery.

Oh my gosh, Bella, Anaya's costume designs are so awesome. I just do community theatre. My most. Challenging show was "The Producers" done in 2010. Lots of hats and headdresses for that one! But nothing like Anaya's. I think the State Street ballet came to St. Louis in January, are they from Chicago? They were great.