PDA

View Full Version : It's Monday

Blondie
March 26th, 2012, 06:03 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/MEanythingpossible.jpg

Happy Monday; a new day, a new week, new opportunities and oh so many possibilities. See how my mind works in spring?

I would've been here over the weekend - however, I am assuming that everyone on this hemisphere was deluged with rain. We had over 5 inches in less than 36 hours - down pours that left my basement flooded, I do declare all five inches were downstairs! We spent yesterday with the wet vac, de humidifier, brooms and mops. It was dry yesterday morning and then it was like a storm surge! We are high; it is something we go through now and then with a heavy rainfall. Last time we had water in the basement was about 2 years ago - I am sick at heart and let me tell you I am super sore this morning from all the wet stuff that had to be moved. We don't have "flood" insurance so time will tell how much I have lost. Sigh. Like I told my sis, that is one sure fire way of cleaning out the excess!

Off to find the coffee and muscle rub.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 26th, 2012, 06:15 AM
So sorry to hear about your flood. I have had flooded basements to deal with, and it is NOT FUN, especially when it happens in the middle of the night. You feel so helpless, YOU WANT to yell TURN IT OFF UP THERE, GOD, OK, PLEASE! Hope nothing was toally ruined, hope your fabric stash is safe! Try to have a god week as you dry out.

Bubby
March 26th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Blondie,

So sorry to hear about your water issues! I understand the frustration and mess of the whole thing....we have a "wet basement" in my old house that has caused us countless hours of mopping up and several dehumidifiers. I hope your sewing machine and fabrics are okay. I wish I was there to help you with the mess....

DH has an early morning doctor's appointment. We worked outdoors pretty much all weekend until dark last night. We got tons of leaves, clippings and mess burned. We were so pooped last fall that we didin't do our usual pre-winter clean-up and boy did we pay for it this weekend! We will try not to do that again!

This weekend our dogwoods popped into full bloom, as did the red tulips! The golden lillies are just about ready to bloom. We worked at the apartments Saturday and mowed the grass there....so I guess mowing season has officially begun for us.

My quilts have been at the LAQer for a full week now, but she was backed up about three weeks, so it will be a while before they are ready...can't wait! I have three more quilts to put borders on and get ready to take to her when I pick up the batch that's there now. Sooner or later I will get caught up.

I hope you all have a wonderful Monday....Miss Molly is in desperate need of some attention and tummy rubs so I will check in with you later today. Hugs, Barb

MRoy
March 26th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Good Morning all! I've had water in the basement a few times, but not the flooding that Blondie is dealing with. I hope everything can be saved. I keep a dehumidifier running down there year round to help with dampness.

I started working on tax records this weekend and made a fair dent in them. I procrastinate every year and the dreading is usually worse than the doing.

Wishing all a good start to the week!

Midaem
March 26th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Oh Blondie!! I am so sorry about your flooded basement! I have had two flooded basements in the past 24 years in my home, and I am truly feeling your pain. You are so right that it is a blessing in disguise in cleaning out the unnecessary and excess. I sure hope your tired muscles give you a break.
My weekend was lovely here in Chicago. Glorious weather and many tasks completed. I went to a bridal shower yesterday for which I had made a beautiful, springlike "Xs and Os" quilt in blue and yellow spring flowers. It was a spectacular hit. I was amazed at the kind comments and nearly everyone there took pictures of it. I am humbled and grateful for the encouragement.
Hope everyone has a safe and lovely day. Joan

Beakkmom
March 26th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Blondie, so sorry for all the work your flooded basement caused! We live in an old house and don't use the basement for much of anything these days besides laundry and the kitty box -- because it flooded several times and ruined things.
Barb - working outside in the blooming yard sounds so relaxing! We did a bit of yard work, and came away pooped - but now my flower beds look much better. Pretty soon it will be rhubarb season in Iowa, yummm!

Blessings ladies,
Lin

sunnyQLDmum
March 26th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Blondie, so sorry to hear about your flooding. We have had rain like that the last 2 weeks but we don't have basements in Aus. Our house is a 2 story that is completely open underneath. We did have enough rain to form a little river in the back yard and driveway, but it didn't cause too much damage, just moved some gravel and dirt.
This morning was spent at the doctor. Riley had to have his 12 month immunizations and I had to have a check up and get a refferal to see an ob gyn for the rest of my pregnancy. Then we got some groceries on the way home, and Riley had a huge exhausted, overdue sleep for most of the afternoon. I should have taken advantage of that time, but ended up taking a nap instead.
It's well past my bedtime now so I will see you all in the morning. Good night!

NanaB
March 26th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Good morning, friends. Hope everyone had a good weekend. Blondie, sorry about your flooding. We had quite a lot of rain 'down the hill from you' in Winston-Salem. It hailed a bit here on Saturday afternoon as well. I have yard work to do, too, but probably not as much as you did, Barb! Had a good quilt class on Saturday with my sister. Yesterday was quite busy with church, bridal shower, Bible study group. Not a day of rest for sure! Gotta get up and outta here to a volunteer 'job' and then hope to get some day-to-day stuff done. Hope to get some sewing done. Have a great day, everyone!

Becki

Monique
March 26th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Good morning everyone.

Blondie sorry to hear about the flooding. I don't have a basement.

We had a lovely weekend. We spent Sat. afternoon and evening at friends. I am her matron of honor and was doing some planning. This will both their second marriages so nothing to elaborate.

When we got home yesterday, I had a hankering to get sewing. So I made myself ANOTHER thread catcher that is all mine. I also got the purse made for our dear Ruby in Hawaii. FINALLY!! A very productive weekend for me anyway.

Work and then an appointment at the bank today.

Have a wonderful week.

Granny Judy
March 26th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I'm up to my elbows in HST...making a quilt for DD#1 who will graduate nursing this MAY.. gosh where does the time go?? 18068

Blondie, I hope nothing got ruined in that deluge of rain.. We didn't get very much up here in Ill. Just a nice steady Spring type rain that soaked in right away. Yes, we had a "wet" basement til the French Drain got put in around the house. There is a fairly large "holding tank" out front that fills then slowly drains away. You can tell where it is since that part of the yard is always the greenist..

Sending out hugs and prayers to all...

CrazyMtnLady
March 26th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Good morning Quilties

Blondie hop in the car and drive on over here. The hot tub is at 103* and will ease all those aches and pains. I know I was in it yesterday after I unloaded about 150 or so bales of hay off the trailer so that DH could stack them in the hay tent.
I had a flooded basement in NY when I lived there and it isn't fun.

It was a beautiful day yesterday and besides the hay, I spent some time outside with the dogs. Sometimes TarButt just has to RUN some of her energy off. She is a hoot. Last year we bought one of those hard kiddie pools for her and we just never dumped it so this winter is was a water source for the cats when it wasn't froze. But TarButt love to go outside, run around like a mad dog then jump in that pool and "Bite" the water... Of course the first thing she wants to do when she comes back in the house all wet is to jump on the couch or the bed :(

Today is another beautiful day. Will be finishing up the laundry and maybe work on the garden area to get the weeds pulled and everything burned off so DH can get out the rototiller. I actually have onions coming up from last year.

have a wonderful day. prayers and hugs to all.

cyndiofthevortex
March 26th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Hi everyone!

Blondie, your flooded basement story brought back a lot of memories from our last house. All the water from our street ended up in our basement, which flooded a few times a year. We learned not to keep anything down there! When we bought this house the first thing we asked was, "Does the basement ever flood?" Now we have a neighbor who gets all the water from the street. I wonder how the family is doing in our old house. I hope they figured out a way to deal with the water problem.

I worked all weekend on the polka dot swap quilt and have to add the last three borders today. I have the batting relaxing up on my bed and the backing ready to be ironed and pieced. I want to see how quickly I can get a quilt top put together, quilted and on my bed! But first, lunch out with a friend, her treat. There's a place down the road called "The Farmer's Kitchen" and it is the best little place to eat in the world. Well, in our little NH part of the world. Yummy onion rings, here I come!

Cyndi

aliaslaceygreen
March 26th, 2012, 11:27 AM
UGGH!! Flooding, so sorry Blondie! (although I envy you have a basement, VBG!

Monday means go to work tonight and I am OFF tomorrow!!!! So, getting through TODAY is the goal. I guess I should start by finding the cats and giving them food and shots. And then, that darned pile of LAUNDRY.

I really need to find a buddy to challenge me to clean before I play. Anyone else housework challenged???

I am more interested in tomorrow, have big plans for the day, since I am not going to the funeral in NC with my DH.

It looks to be sunny and more seasonable today, hope its a great one!

toggpine
March 26th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Morning!

I agree Blondie, ugh on the basement!

Getting Em off to school and then I have to drive out to see the site that was chosen last year to hold our next training event. I am not sure I really want to drive the four hours round trip, but somebody has to go and check out the site and sign the contracts. I KNOW somebody lied to me when they told me that this volunteer job shouldn't take up too much time. Grrrr.

I hope you all have a better day.
Cathy

brittyboo07
March 26th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Good Morning my little ladybugs!!!!

Wanted to drop in and say hello! I will be gone the rest of the week im on spring break from school and we are headed down to my inlaws. We are going to be in Nashville tonight and tomorrow and then tomorrow afternoon we will start the trip to GA. Once we get down thereI will be able to pop back in!

Blondie so sorry to hear about the floow yuck!

Had an appointment with the plumbers this morning to get a quote for redoing the apartment. OUCH! Not sure where I am going to come u with money lol anyone have a spare money tree around I can borrow? I guess the price isn't that bad considereing we are putting in a bathroom and laundry room. Anyway, there will be a lot of work with this one but once we get that done we will basically be ready to get in there woohooo!!!!

I hope that everyone has a great day! I have to finish up several things so we can get the car packed up and get on the road!

Talk to you in a few days ladies!!!!!

HandsOffItsMine
March 26th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Blondie, sorry to hear about the basement. No fun at all, hope that the loss isn't too big.

Monique, you made my day as I needed some cheering up.

Our 2nd hand commuter car went to "Car Heaven" last week, Don turned it off and an hour later we got in, it made a noise then wouldn't turn over. AAA towed it in to Honolulu, long story short...$5500 to $6000 to rebuild the engine as the timing chain broke and hit two valve. Means nothing to me but literally made me sick to my stomach. Needless to say, one we don't have that kind of money for a repair, two the car isn't worth it. We've been depressed since. Then the condo HOA said we had three days to get it off the property. Haha, what do you do with 4500 pounds of steel that doesn't run! :(

Anywhoooo, luckily a local acquintance a mile away, let us move it to their property yesterday with our last AAA tow for the year. Now at least we have 30 days to hopefully get rid of it for a little bit of money.

Back to driving with no air in TheBananaTang, not so bad now, but not going to be fun in the summer.

Well in the big scope of things, we have to count our blessings, we have our health. :)

Prayers and healing light for all, smiles and hugs for all. Save trips for those on the road. Ruby

sewmuchjan
March 26th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Just a quick stop but and say hi and send my love and hugs and prayers to all my quilty friends out there..my brother is starting radiation today and Mother will keep me updated...Got to get back to sewing my jelly roll race quilt, just have to finish the quilting and do the binding and it will be done..I will check with you all later. Love Ya :) :)

God Bless and keep you all;
me...Jan G

Maybe I could find 6 more hands??? Or a trained monkey?? On second thought no trained monkey!!!

janluna
March 27th, 2012, 03:05 AM
Blondie, I'm so sorry you got flooded. Been there done that! Ugh!!! We also put in a french drain and they sure do help. The sump pump is a gift, hats off to who ever invented that piece of equipment. We just have to worry if the power goes off. We haven't had the cash to put in a generator yet. I can't wait for that to happen. So sorry you lost your things. Hugs, Jan L.

mamaquilt
March 27th, 2012, 05:36 AM
@ Blondie
Sorry read only today (Tuesday) that you had a flooded basement. Hope you don't keep too much stuff in there. We had that problem too, a couple of years back when the street was renovated. We also learned the hard way then. But after the flood, we only keep our stuff on shelves and we keep our basement pretty clean. Hopefully you didn't have any fabrics etc. down there.

No sewing today, as DGD is sick and staying with us. Besides the sun is shining and we most probably would be outside in the garden without DGD.

Have a nice week all of you and many greetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle