PDA

View Full Version : Mow no mo' in MO

Jean Sewing Machine
March 23rd, 2012, 05:05 PM
My lawn was a pale brown mess until a week ago. Then the guy who fertilizes came and then the rains came, and then it turned lush green and thick overnight! I'm not a fan of mowing, once I got rid of my riding lawn mower, I hated it even more. (Gone because I no longer had a big yard or a place to store the rider.) So I've had someone else do it for the past 5 years. I've had a succession of those who came and went in the dark of night (disappeared when the weather got hot--never more to be seen to do the work!)

In the Summer of 2010, the lawn was such a dried up weedy mess in spite of my fertilizing and watering. My neighbor had found a very nice guy to cut his lawn, and I asked him what he thought could be done with the dried up disgusting lawn. He just shook his head. He suggested digging up the old grass and putting down new sod. So I agreed! And in 2 days, I had the most beautiful lawn! He wanted to cut my lawn the next summer, but I already had a guy committed to doing it, so I told him no.

Last summer, that guy started out the season OK, but disappeared about July. So I had to beg the fellow who was still cutting the neighbor's lawn if he would finish the season cutting mine.

So now, it is back to growing again, and my wonderful lawn crew just showed up and mowed it for me. The mowing season is starting early this year, but I'm so glad they came today. They do a great job, and are reasonable. This time, they were in such a hurry to get to their next job that they forgot to get their money! Oh well, I know they'll be back!

And they came just in time, because 15 minutes later, it started to rain. Now, the grass will have more incentive to grow some mo' and this lady will Mow no mo'! I'm too old for that kind of hassle.

Funny thing, after I did the "dig up and replace" thing to my yard, this past summer 2 more of my neighbors did the same thing to their yards! One lady had done it a year before I did. Guess our "contractor grade" sod that had been put in 5 years ago was just not meant to look good for long, so now 4 out of 15 of our homes on our court have new rugs out front!

Bubby
March 23rd, 2012, 06:03 PM
Jean...I envy you being able to have someone else mow for you. We mow several acres here at home....about one acre at my old house that we've not been able to sell and at our apartments. From late March or early April until mid October all I do it mow. To pay to have it cut would bankrupt us....this service does not come cheap or reliable around here. DH and I both have a rider and we often tackle it together. Molly sits on the front porch and barks at us as we pass!! We mowed last weekend...so the race is on!!!!
Hugs, Barb

CrazyMtnLady
March 23rd, 2012, 07:51 PM
I don't really have any lawn to mow. Since we moved here to the top of this "mountain" all we have had is rocks...rocks..and more rocks. Oh and tree stumps. We have slowly removed about 60 stumps to make our homestead here, but it will be quite some time before we have been able to clear enough land to put down top soil and sow grass. By that time I will be such an old lady I won't care if I have a lawn or not....LOL

SuzyQue
March 23rd, 2012, 08:57 PM
I was just looking out the window wondering if we could get by one more week without mowing.......probably not. The grass is green and lush so early this year. Two large lawns to mow...every week. Thank goodness have one more kiddo still here to help!

sunnyQLDmum
March 23rd, 2012, 09:10 PM
We have to mow year round here in Aus, or should I say 'I' mow the yard. DH works until 9pm every night and has sporting commitments on the weekends (today he is on a bus headed 5 hours south to play rugby). We have just had 2 weeks of SOLID rain but today the sun is out, blue sky as far as I can see :) I managed to mow our very large yard a couple of days before it started raining but now it looks like a jungle. I will have to let it dry out a bit before I can push the mower through it, or I will get bogged! I joke to my husband every week that I'm sick of mowing and I'm going to get me a goat!

Sandy Navas
March 23rd, 2012, 10:28 PM
Okay, Tina . . . I opt for the GOATS! We have 6 1/2 acres here - and with DH and I both mowing it takes a couple hours plus. I tell him we don't need to mow the back but once or twice a year . . . when I first moved in with the tractor and under-belly mower it took ME about 8 hours to mow. I have better things to do!!!

MRoy
March 23rd, 2012, 10:33 PM
I've mowed my yard the past two Wednesdays and it seems like I can stand on the porch and watch it grow. I didn't want to start so early, but I hate piled up grass and raking.

buckeyequilter
March 23rd, 2012, 11:00 PM
We have a little over 8 acres - DH is retired so he does all the yard work.

When we were both working I would help him but I would not touch the hill out back I was afraid I wouldn't stop in time and end up in the creek (I've seen him do that).

Jean Sewing Machine
March 23rd, 2012, 11:15 PM
I loved mowing when I had a big yard and a riding mower, but pushing for even 20 minutes is like 20 minutes in H-E-double hockeysticks for me. The mowers are just not made right for me to push, the handles are just too high. If I hd some genius to modify the mower, maybe it wouldn't be so intolerable. In the meantime, it is a lot easier writing a check, as long as I can swing it, I'm going that route. If i had acres to mow, and the right equipment, I don't think I'd mind as much as hand mowing my postage stamp yard. When we had a big yard in the country, we only had to mow til July. It all died out from the heat after then!

Jean Sewing Machine
March 23rd, 2012, 11:24 PM
I don't really have any lawn to mow. Since we moved here to the top of this "mountain" all we have had is rocks...rocks..and more rocks. Oh and tree stumps. We have slowly removed about 60 stumps to make our homestead here, but it will be quite some time before we have been able to clear enough land to put down top soil and sow grass. By that time I will be such an old lady I won't care if I have a lawn or not....LOL

The first time my late hubby mowed our Ozark rocky tree stump lined yard with the riding mower, he hit a stump and wrecked his brand new toy. But, we had bought three "gween twactor"s ( what our first grandson called them) from the same John Deere dealer, so he was very nice to take back the broken mower and kindly selling us a bigger more heavy duty one with no charge for fixing the original one. Good service from a very smart dealer! He even gave hubs tractor driving lessons, so as not to have the city guy end up under the tractor instead of riding on top of it.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 23rd, 2012, 11:30 PM
Jean...I envy you being able to have someone else mow for you. We mow several acres here at home....about one acre at my old house that we've not been able to sell and at our apartments. From late March or early April until mid October all I do it mow. To pay to have it cut would bankrupt us....this service does not come cheap or reliable around here. DH and I both have a rider and we often tackle it together. Molly sits on the front porch and barks at us as we pass!! We mowed last weekend...so the race is on!!!!
Hugs, Barb
Barb, it is always a never ending job, especially when you have two places to keep up. I find it especially hard when it gets really hot, I'm afraid I'm going to go belly up myself before I'm finished.

sunnyQLDmum
March 23rd, 2012, 11:52 PM
I loved mowing when I had a big yard and a riding mower, but pushing for even 20 minutes is like 20 minutes in H-E-double hockeysticks for me. The mowers are just not made right for me to push, the handles are just too high. If I hd some genius to modify the mower, maybe it wouldn't be so intolerable.

We ONLY have a push mower, and being very short it is hard work. The handles are up near my ears and everything flicks up into my face. All I have to say is GOATS or my dog better start eating more grass.

rebeccas-sewing
March 24th, 2012, 08:20 AM
No thanks! I would love to have a bit of land as long as there is grass around the house ONLY. The property we owned in Houston would take Joe about an hour to mow in that blazing heat and humidity for which Texas is so well-known. When we moved to the house in California, we were both laughing first time he mowed. It took about 10 minutes. Of course, I had to go and plant tons of bushes, roses, vines, etc. That takes me quite awhile to trim. Certainly not all done in a day even. When my daughter's boyfriend was living with us I had him doing the yard work and I finally broke down and bought a power hedge trimmer for him to use. WOW!!! Talk about fast! I'd been doing it with hedge clippers for years. I do miss yard work. I've gotten soft living in this flat. It was great exercise and wonderful to be outside in our beautiful California weather. If all goes as planned I should be back to it in the fall. We'll see. Or we might end up staying in London longer or maybe moving to Amsterdam for awhile. Time will tell. I'll keep you posted.

aliaslaceygreen
March 24th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Not a fan of the mowing. I am allergic to fresh cut grass, so I don't cut it. My husband's dad had a side job cutting grass when the boys were young; you can guess that my DH was made to cut grass till he dropped, so he has ZERO interest in yardwork.

Our soil stinks. The moles, voles and yellow jackets appreciate our yard, but even the weeds are less than thrilled with what we have to offer. I would love to pay someone to turn over the whole yard, and start fresh, but that's not in the budget.

What I gave to DH for Christmas this year? A pink bubble making lawnmower!!

(with a gift certificate for someone to cut grass once a month....) Now he just has to find that someone!!

Because the soil is so bad, it doesn't even get crazy long and lush....