PDA

View Full Version : Nest Stop: Lima!

Meli
March 21st, 2012, 09:11 PM
Today we got up early, piled into the car with my DH, two youngest step-sons, and their mom, and headed off to Provo, Utah, where we met up with DH's parents for breakfast at Village Inn. Then we ran around like headless chickens trying to find things Nate had forgotten, like batteries and safety pins and a money belt. Then over to the hillside behind the Provo Temple to take a few last family photos and to have some last minute family silliness. Finally, we all piled into the car and drove to the Missionary Training Center, where Nate will live for the next 3 weeks before heading off to Lima, Peru. We pulled up to the curb where other missionaries were waiting to assist us. In under 2 minutes, he was out of the car, the other missionaries had grabbed his luggage, and he was walking away from us, huge grin on his face. Just before he left, he hugged his mom, his dad, his brother. Then he looked at me. Nate doesn't hug people as a general rule, and years ago established that he did NOT hug the Evil Wicked Stepmother. This morning, he looked at me and said, "One more hug. It'll have to last you for the next 2 years." And then he was gone.

I know as a mother (step or otherwise) you're not supposed to have favorites. But I do. And it is the handsome, funny, devout young man who just turned the next two years over to God.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 21st, 2012, 10:11 PM
Wow, that is such a great story. I have a step grandson, who I don't see that much. He shocked me to no end when on his first visit to my house, he surprised me with a big hug. He's been a hugger ever since, and I appreciate it very much. I can just imagine how much this meant to you. And it shows he is maturing and realizing how grown-ups should treat each other. And I commend him greatly for doing this missionary work. I know he will come back home a changed person, I hope he has many good experiences.

ChristineB
March 21st, 2012, 10:59 PM
Wow! Tears!!

quiltingtrish
March 21st, 2012, 11:41 PM
Awwww. That's awesome!

Hugs,

Sandy Navas
March 21st, 2012, 11:57 PM
Meli, I'm sitting here bawling my head off, not because of you passing Nate into the hands of God, but from relating the story of Emily, Heaven, and the Daisys, my dear friends Gayle, Donna, and Ron who are suffering with the throes of cancer, and my DD's best friend, Mary Claire, who has been told she has only a few months to live and 5 children to leave behind (between the ages of 2 and 15), and I'm crying and realizing that God has chosen Nate . . . and I'm proud for you as the 'Ugly Step-Monster' . . . that there is still faith, promise, prayer, and promise. May Nate's mission be a wonderful new beginning.

I'm so slowly loosing faith in all mankind.

Meli
March 22nd, 2012, 01:59 AM
Meli, I'm sitting here bawling my head off, not because of you passing Nate into the hands of God, but from relating the story of Emily, Heaven, and the Daisys, my dear friends Gayle, Donna, and Ron who are suffering with the throes of cancer, and my DD's best friend, Mary Claire, who has been told she has only a few months to live and 5 children to leave behind (between the ages of 2 and 15), and I'm crying and realizing that God has chosen Nate . . . and I'm proud for you as the 'Ugly Step-Monster' . . . that there is still faith, promise, prayer, and promise. May Nate's mission be a wonderful new beginning.

I'm so slowly loosing faith in all mankind.

Oh, Sandy! You dear, sweet woman. Please do not lose your faith, in God or mankind. All of us are in His hand, He watches over us, and the things in life we view as tragedies are part of His plan for us. My father's death resulted in my family moving to Utah, my mother finding the husband she was meant to have, and me not being barefoot and pregnant by the age of 16. My divorce a number of years ago left me shattered and empty and brokenhearted. But it put me in a position to be guided to the man of my dreams. I cannot tell you why God has allowed so many of your loved ones to be afflicted, but I know He has a plan, and that through tragedy He can bring blessings. Nate is an amazing young man, and he has the ability to touch the lives of people he meets. And, I believe, those who hear of him. As for you, dear woman, you are in my heart and thoughts and prayers. (HUGS)

quilter.martha
March 22nd, 2012, 07:45 AM
God bless Nate, and keep him safe over the next 2 years.

Bubby
March 22nd, 2012, 09:17 AM
Nate sounds like a very special young man. May God bless him and watch over him during the next two years of service so far from home....:)

CrazyMtnLady
March 22nd, 2012, 10:57 AM
How proud you must be of this wonderful young man. He is really brave to be going off into the unknown to serve God.
Nate sounds so much like my DH's nephew, Byron and his wife Abby. Abby went to Bolivia in January as a RN with her church and she was very moved. Byron is always doing God's work in some way.

Sandy, I totally understand how you could be losing faith in mankind. Some of the atrocities that are happening in the world today are unthinkable. I also lost my faith in God for a time after my mother died when I was 18, it took Larry's death (my late husband) to bring me back to God. I am still not completely healed and I doubt I will ever be, but I am a work in progress.

Meli, Be sure to post some of those pictures for us to enjoy.

janluna
March 22nd, 2012, 03:33 PM
God Bless your Son Meli! And may he be blessings to others. Hugs, Jan L.

Meli
March 22nd, 2012, 04:38 PM
Wow! Tears!!

Christine, I was looking at all the posts this morning, read yours again, and wondered why the tears. So read what I'd written. Wow. Tears! Sometimes I'm convinced someone else types for me, then waits for me to come back later and be surprised.

Meli
March 24th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Meli, Be sure to post some of those pictures for us to enjoy.

As requested, here's a picture of my missionary Nate (in the middle) with my DH looking askance at the crazy, aforementioned 17 year old Jason being decidedly... Jason-like.