PDA

View Full Version : School Sewing Group

RachZ
March 21st, 2012, 08:19 AM
Hi
I'm a teacher in Australia. Girls in my maths class were privileged to see my quilts, they were most taken with them. They want to start a lunch time sewing group and I'm looking for cool projects for them to complete that aren't too expensive (we are a poor inner city school) and that don't take too long (their attention spans aren't great). Also they are 8th graders so has to be 'COOL' :)
Any ideas more than welcome!
Thanks
Rach

sunflower1944
March 21st, 2012, 09:07 AM
Hi Rach, what a great idea. Have you checked out Jenny's tutorials here on MSQC? Lots of ideas and quick and easy. Good luck with this project and I hope you will post pictures of the quilts they make.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 21st, 2012, 09:20 AM
Will they each work on an individual project, or a group project? I teach at a comminity college and while we don't use " bulletin boards" to display items, I saw a display of paper crafted blocks that looked like quilt blocks made from triangles and squares. Guess it was a child development class. that really caught my eye! Designing with shapes really fits into a math curriculum, all the measuring and adding seam allowances. So, with that in mind, Perhaps each girl could design a block on paper, then recreate several to share with her classmates. Like Block of the Month sharing that some groups do here. They could learn how to sew carefully, and also share and each one would have a small quilt when they were finished.

Also. They might be interested in tessalations ( did I spell that correctly). I've seen fish, and I just did one with cats where their tails were intertwined. I found that pattern online called Kool Kats Kwilt by Patti Carey. It is sort of complicated but it could be an inspiration piece for them! You can see the one I made on my blog www.soooowht.blogspot.com. The cats are made of squares, triangles and rectangles.

Also, if you can get some donated fabrics and cut it into 2-1/2" strips, they can do a jelly roll race quilt top. Very simple. Or maybe they could all pick a yard or two of their own favorite fabric, cut it into strips, and share it for a jelly roll top.

Good luck, it sounds like such a fun and exciting new adventure!

LynneLeavell
March 21st, 2012, 11:13 AM
Pillow cases, small tote bags and coin purses would be good cheap, quick and easy projects. Good Luck and I thinks it's wonderful that the girls you teach want to do something.

CrazyMtnLady
March 21st, 2012, 11:28 AM
What a fantastic idea. I would do a poll and ask the class what projects they might like to make. Table toppers would be small and not that expensive.
I would also go to local stores to see if they would be willing to donate some supplies to the cause. Also if you have stores like our Good Will or Salvation Army stores you may be able to find materials at a very low cost.

pdjewelrylady1
March 21st, 2012, 03:04 PM
GREAT IDEA!! Lynne's ideas are what i was thinking - we made lots of those when i led Girl Scouts. The fun one was always the snap coin purse -- that one was always a big hit with the girls and even with the boys who tagged along...... :D have fun and post some pictures if they will allow :D

bakermom
March 21st, 2012, 04:00 PM
I was going to suggest pillowcases, too. Do these girls have any sewing experience? If not a tote or pillowcase would teach them the basics and they could expand from there

jennaleigh820
March 30th, 2012, 12:47 AM
i made for my girls for school with left over fabric of you piece something together....but the compostion books that are usally ugly i took fabric cut it to size and used heat and bond which acted like a sticker..lol..and i covered the book it came out looking great and my girls loved it....

Susan Long
April 17th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Pillowcases are a great, and super easy, quick idea. I was also thinking lunch bags. You can get some of that Insul-bright to keep hot things hot and cold things cold, a little hook and loop (velcro) closure and you are good to go! Coin purses is a great idea. Heck, even a tote bag or hair scrunchy. :-)

RachZ
April 17th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Hi ladies the group is going well. They have mainly been making accessories!

RachZ
April 17th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions I'm going to keep them all for later on in the year! :)