PDA

View Full Version : Can I double my batting?

golden mountain
May 26th, 2010, 09:22 PM
One more--possibly really silly question-question.

I bought a nice organic cotton blend quilt batting, and now that I have opened up the package and unrolled it, it seems very 'thin', and I'm nervous the baby quilt I'm making will seem flimsy.

I have extra batting, and I'm wondering if its possible to use two layers of batting? Or am I asking for trouble? Perhaps I'm simply not used to seeing the innards of a quilt and its not as skimpy as I think?

Thanks for any input!

Rosie
May 28th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I know what you mean about the batting looking thin. I thought the same thing when I made my first quilt. If you use Warm and Natural batting it's pretty warm. You could try double batting, I've never done it before, but I'm sure if you pin it REALLY well before quilting it should be fine. Can't wait to see pictures of the finished product.

golden mountain
May 28th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks! I had actually planned to baste instead of pin. Maybe because most of my experience with sewing is making clothes, and basting always works so well!

golden mountain
May 30th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Well, after much back and forth, I have decided not to double my batting. I went to a baby store to look at bumper's for bassinet's (I plan to make one, and wanted a visual to get started) and I learned that the current thinking is that to much fabric draped around a bassinet or crib is a possible cause of SIDS. So its single batting for me!

My quilt is very simple, but I'll post a pic of it when I'm done

toggpine
June 1st, 2010, 05:00 AM
My grandmother uses flannel or "outing" as she calls it, as the batting for baby blankets. I was surprised how warm that actually was. It has a really nice weight to it as well. I wait for it to go on sale, and buy several yards in plain colors just for that. The one Grammy made is my daughter's favorite blanket, and I still have mine from almost 40 years ago.

I would think that the single layer of batting should be fine. When it is really cold here I can add second layer, or put the little one in warmer PJs. I know they don't like you to put bumpers in the cribs, but my girl would stick her feet up on the side of the cradle/crib and then as she slept, they would slide down and get stuck in between the slats. The bumpers all but stopped that.

mslibra
June 15th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Absolutely :) the thing to remember is that while it will give more definition to your quilting it will also add extra weight and stiffness. Whenever I want high definition to the quilting I use a bottom layer of cotton or bamboo batting and top it with a higher loft poly. Works great!