PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Trivia: Butter Sculpture

Star lover
April 9th, 2019, 07:05 AM
Every great sculptor has his or her preferred medium.

For Arkansas artist Caroline Shawk Brooks (1840-1913), it was butter.

Her sculpture "Dreaming Iolanthe," made from 9 pounds of butter, was such a sensation at the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia that she was invited to make sculptures for the 1878 Paris World's Fair and the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago.

158535. 158534

I remember going to the state fair and they always had a Butter sculpture of cow(s).

SuzanneOrleansOntario
April 9th, 2019, 08:56 AM
Interesting. That brings back memories of seeing a butter sculpture at the buffet table on our first cruise.

BethB
April 9th, 2019, 09:10 AM
There is a butter sculpture every year at the PA Farm Show in early January in Harrisburg, PA. They are always life size and really incredible. This years showed a soldier, a doctor, a firefighter, an athlete and a dairy farmer --- all with capes on (super powers was in the theme), and all holding a glass of milk. Over 1000 pounds of butter was used in the sculpture, which is then donated to area homeless shelters at the end of the show. It is really quite impressive to see it.

Nancy

jjkaiser
April 9th, 2019, 01:08 PM
Wow those are incredible. What detail! I wonder how she prevented all that butter from melting when she was carving it up. I didn't even know they had cameras way back in the 1800's and those pictures look really good.

MSN
April 10th, 2019, 03:25 AM
A highlight of attending the Minnesota State Fair each year is watching the butter carving. The Midwest Dairy Association selects a young woman to be "Princess Kay of the Milky Way," who becomes an ambassador for Minnesota's dairy industry. The 12 finalists for Princess Kay each get their likeness carved in a 90 lb. block of butter. The carving takes place in a large rotating glass-walled refrigerator. In the video, you will notice that both the sculptor and the model are wearing warm coats, as they will be in that fridge for at least six hours. When the Fair is over, each girl gets to take her butter head home. I'm told that one served her butter head at her wedding!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZWwBf5B05E

geegeequilts
April 10th, 2019, 03:01 PM
Wow! That was amazing to see all the details in the sculpting.

Gina