PDA

View Full Version : Friday Trivia: Nectarines

Star lover
April 5th, 2019, 06:47 AM
Nectarines are mutant, fuzz-free cousins of peaches that bypassed the peach's dominant trait for fuzziness. Both fruits originated in China, which grows more than 50 percent of the world's supply. Paleobotanists (scientists who study prehistoric plant life) cheered a few years back when a road construction project in China unearthed eight fossilized peach pits estimated to be about 2.5 million years old. It was the first evidence that the peach's history goes back that far.

Like apples and bananas, nectarines are climacteric, or they continue to ripen even after they are picked from the tree.

Nectarines are often considered a cross between a peach and a plum, even though they come from the same tree as a peach.

Though Georgia is known as the "Peach State" in the U.S., China is the top peach producer with over 11 million tons.

In South Carolina, there is a water tower that is 150 feet tall which resembles a peach.

Nectarines possess a bit more Vitamin C, more potassium and twice the amount of Vitamin A than a peach.

Contrary to popular belief, nectarines are NOT a cross between plums and peaches, they* are in fact a type of peach. Every once in a while, a peach tree mutates - the gene responsible for the fuzz is turned off, and out comes a smooth skinned nectarine.

The nectarine comes from the family ‘Rosaceae’, which is the family of roses.

Bonus Recipe: When nectarines go soft, don't throw them out. It's the perfect time to make a sorbet! Pit the fruit and slice coarsely. Toss into a blender with a few drops of lemon juice and optionally a teaspoon of honey. Blend until no large pieces remain. Pour into individual serving cups and freeze. Yum!!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
April 5th, 2019, 09:33 AM
I love nectarines , peaches and all pitted fruit.

Unfortunately DH has severe allergies. It started first with cherries, then plums, nectarines and also peaches. Now, it's asically any fruit with a pit. So while he grew up and loved all of these, now he can't go near them.

JCY
April 5th, 2019, 03:14 PM
Interesting info. about the nectarine. I always thought they were a cross. I seldom eat either peaches or nectarines due to how sweet they are, which raises my blood sugar. I love most kinds of fruit. DH eats only stewed prune & apples. I think he's allergic to the world. Like Suzanne's DH, he no longer can eat things he used to enjoy years ago.

MaggieSue
April 5th, 2019, 03:31 PM
As the years progress, I find that I have more and more allergies. The last one that I discovered is walnuts!!! Love them, but now that I can no longer eat them I have been eating cashews, so far so good!!! Yup aging is not much fun, but the alternate is worse!!!

PamelaOry
April 5th, 2019, 05:49 PM
My first allergy onset was after I gave birth to my first son, in my early 20s. Back then it was an unheard of allergy, to sesame seeds, and adult onset was uncommon. Now a days, more and more adults and children are developing allergies, I suspect it has to do with the Changes to our food supply.

I had no idea of the close relationship between nectarines and peaches, I like them both. I eat them with cottage cheese, helps to balance the sugar with some protein and I can’t swallow cottage cheese very well unless it has fruit in it.

Mimi_Howard
April 5th, 2019, 09:52 PM
fruit and cottage cheese, delicious. I just cut open a cantalop, scoop out the innerds and fill er up with cottage cheese.