PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Trivia: Duncan Hines

Star lover
April 4th, 2019, 06:35 AM
Unlike Betty Crocker, who was a creation of the General Mills marketing department, Duncan Hines was a real person. A traveling salesman from Bowling Green, Kentucky, he sampled local restaurants as he crisscrossed the country for work.

His list of favorites became the basis for his 1936 book, "Adventures in Good Eating," a veritable bible for road-tripping food lovers that made Duncan Hines a household name. In 1948, he formed a company that marketed everything from ice cream to the packaged cake mixes you know him for today.

An original copy in great condition can be purchased for about $70.

geegeequilts
April 4th, 2019, 02:23 PM
When I have to use a box cake mix it's always Duncan Hines. No exception.

Gina

MRoy
April 4th, 2019, 02:41 PM
There is an annual Duncan Hines Festival in Bowling Green (https://www.visitbgky.com/event/duncan-hines-festival/60/).

redcaboose1717
April 4th, 2019, 07:28 PM
I did know Duncan Hines was a real person. My mom used to make these awesome Chocolate Chip Cookies from a Duncan Hines Yellow Cake Mix :
*(BTW...this recipe says any BRAND Cake Mix...but I have always used Duncan Hines Yellow Cake Mix to make these cookies!)

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Favorite+Cake+Mix+Cookies&filters=ufn%3a%22Favorite+Cake+Mix+Cookies%22+sid% 3a%22d96bab81-5fa0-dd97-ef2d-683f6c603beb%22+segment%3a%22generic.carousel%22+s ecq%3a%22duncan+hines+yellow+cake+mix+cookies%22+s upwlcar%3a%221%22+tsource%3a%22EntitySegments%22+c atesegtype%3a%22recipe%22+cack%3a%22d40ba48f-2ed0-4c2d-90e9-4eb28b3efcc1%22+segtype%3a%22UmVjaXBl%22+ctype%3a% 220%22+mltype%3a%220%22+eltypedim1%3a%22Recipe%22&FORM=SNAPCR&crslsl=0&efirst=1

Enjoy!

GuitarGramma
April 4th, 2019, 08:39 PM
Duncan Hines cake mixes were literally the only mixes I would buy. My husband has a serious dairy allergy, and Duncan Hines cake mix was the ONLY big-name brand that was dairy free. For a brief period, when they changed manufacturing plants, dairy was added to the mix. I wrote to the company begging them to return to dairy-free mixes. I suspect they got a lot of those letters, because within a year the dairy was GONE!

redcaboose1717
April 4th, 2019, 09:05 PM
I knew about the diary and that Duncan Hines did put Dairy in the mixes and due to a high volume of complaints return the mix without the Dairy.
My MIL was always looking out for my DD who had a dairy allergy. My sweet MIL is now 92 yrs young.(She taught me how to sew OVER the TELEPHONE when my DH was in college years ago...she's amazing.)
While my sweet MIL always made cakes and cookies from scratch, she did occasionally whip up Duncan Hines cake mixes and really enjoyed the cookies from the Ducan Hines Cake mixes...which I thought was funny due to the fact she made everything she cooked from scratch.

GuitarGramma
April 4th, 2019, 11:14 PM
I knew about the diary and that Duncan Hines did put Dairy in the mixes and due to a high volume of complaints return the mix without the Dairy.

Thank you for that confirmation that Duncan Hines listened to their customer base. I'd suspected that I couldn't be the only person who wrote to them. It's nice to know that at least one company out there pays attention!