PDA

View Full Version : Medicare letter raising deduction for insurance....

nativetexan
March 24th, 2019, 06:51 PM
I just got a letter from Medicare. says it will cost me $252.00 deductions for insurance. i have had deduction of $132.00 but now so much more?? why? can't really find any answers online. nothing has changed as far as I can see...i have a birthday making me older! sigh.

KarenC
March 24th, 2019, 07:42 PM
I was shopping for insurance this week since my cobra ends at the end of the month. I am not old enough for medicare yet, non smoker, good health. They wanted $500+/month for a policy with a $25K deductible! Went with an indemnity plan until I get the new insurance with new job mid April. That was a culture shock.

nativetexan
March 24th, 2019, 07:46 PM
figured it out a bit better. Medicare takes $132. out for themselves. but this letter is for secondary insurance through Blue Cross which happens to be through Medicare too. it is $217.00 now and will go up to $252.00. not as bad as i thought. whew! not good but not so bad. My Son can't see why I pay so much as it is. well it is what it is, that is why.... does not make good sense but doesn't matter. i feel a bit better now.

grammaterry
March 24th, 2019, 08:05 PM
every year our supplemental insurance coverage goes up. It has doubled since we became eligible 5years ago. We have never used it. But, by the time we need it we probably won't be able to keep it up. catch 22.

KPH
March 24th, 2019, 08:26 PM
Glad you figured it out. I'm thankful my insurance continued after I retired.

bubba
March 24th, 2019, 09:07 PM
We are not old enough for medicare yet. MM is still working, for medical benefits. If at all possible, be the first one to retire!!!

That said, we have been with the same insurance since 1981 and love it. It is an HMO. The copay used to be $5, then $10, and the past few years, $20. This year they drastically changed things. Now we have no copay but have to pay $2000 each before we don't have to pay. He had to go to urgent care the other night and didn't have to pay while there. I'm very curious as to what the bill is going to be.

JCY
March 24th, 2019, 10:47 PM
Ever since Obamacare went into effect, the cost of medical insurance has skyrocketed. I'm surprised you're getting a notice of a premium increase in the middle of the year. Usually those increases take effect in Jan. of each year. You might want to call the ins. co. or Medicare & verify that the letter is legitimate. Our ins. premiums have gone up every year. This year our supplemental medical ins. costs us $477./mo. (total for both of us) which is in addition to what they deduct from Medicare. Plus we pay extra for a Medicare D Rx plan, dental insurance, & vision. It's outrageous what one has to pay out. Our Rx plan, which used to have a zero deductible, now has a $400. deductible, which DH never meets, since he has so few prescriptions, & one of those is a non-formulary drug which we would have to pay out of pocket for anyway.

I wish we could go back to the days when the corp. DH worked for provided our benefits. We used to pay only $165./mo. for both of us, & it covered everything. We had a wonderful Aetna plan that we loved. But when the corp. made its retirees get their ins. through an exchange, it was a whole different situation. Unfortunately, nothing stays the same. Change is the name of the game.

nativetexan
March 25th, 2019, 12:01 AM
I think the middle of the year thing is Birthdays. when ever you turn a certain age that is another bracket, they then can raise costs. all in the plan. their's not mine.
and oh yes, when my husband was alive we had good insurance through his work. miss that. they kept me on two years and then changed things for retirees and their spouses. they do send me a small ck every month to help with insurance costs. helps a bit.

SuzyQue
March 25th, 2019, 12:51 AM
This is the one issue that really worries us about retirement! You have to have it, but can you afford it for as long as you might need it? Preparing for full retirement is scary!

bubba
March 25th, 2019, 02:37 AM
Our best friends, same ages as us, are both retired. They are paying $1700 per month for their insurance. I think that is just for medical too.

grammaterry
March 25th, 2019, 10:23 AM
We are both 71 and have a plan g supplement. It is less than $600 for the two of us and then whatever SS takes out of our social security which Ithink is about $132 each. Still less than what we were paying for not as good of coverage with BC before we retired. I think we had a $10kdeductible then. :Plan G is $145 ded. per year. No copay/ We do not have part D

MRoy
March 25th, 2019, 12:30 PM
My retirement system pays the premium for my Medicare supplement insurance which includes Part D. My husband was paying $1100/mo for health insurance before he got on Medicare. Now, his Medicare supplement and Part D coverage is about $175/month....a big change for him. And since he's been on Medicare, the copays for his prescriptions are less too.

nativetexan
March 25th, 2019, 05:16 PM
Bubba, $1700.00 a month!! that is more than my SS check!!

bubba
March 25th, 2019, 09:29 PM
Bubba, $1700.00 a month!! that is more than my SS check!!

I know!!! We were discussing all this today on the trip home from Seattle. He wants to retire in about a year (actually, he wants to do it tomorrow!!), and he will be able to do Cobra for 18 months. His employer lets you also use it for the spouse, so that is nice. I am a year younger than him, and will be turning 62 this July, so I have an extra year longer than him for medicare benefits.

Hopefully it will all work out for him. We will know more later this year.