PDA

View Full Version : Gmail newbie needs help

jjkaiser
March 23rd, 2019, 01:58 PM
Finally I am cutting the cord with my cable company on Monday so for the last 24 hours I have been setting up gmail accounts and having to do this for two people, me and dh, since he likes everything to work but is clueless on all the steps you have to take to get there. I have the gmail set up but the gmail layout has me a little confused. I don't see an address book and how do .you create bookmarks? I imported the address book from Spectrum but can't figure out how, or if you can, import old bookmarks. You cannot import or copy existing folders from Spectrum. I tried putting a few on a cd for a test but when I opened them they were all in code. Spectrum says they are encrypted so you can't copy the contents. Any advice on bookmarks or address book would be much appreciated. I only have 48 hours to finish this before I lose it all.

MaggieSue
March 23rd, 2019, 02:13 PM
I cannot help, but will be watching for replies because I want to cut the cable cord, but it seems so over whelming!!!

KPH
March 23rd, 2019, 02:17 PM
If someone that's tech savy doesn't come along, could you go to your bookmarks and print out a copy hard copy of them? I don't have clue, I can't even figure out how to get to my outlook address book since they've updated it so many times and that has nothing to do with the cable!

Monique
March 23rd, 2019, 07:13 PM
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-import-addresses-from-hotmail-yahoo-others-into-gmail-1172008

and for bookmarks:

Open Chrome.
Go to google.com/bookmarks.
Sign in with the same Google Account you used with Google Toolbar.
On the left, click Export bookmarks. ...
At the top right, click More .
Select Bookmarks Import Bookmarks and Settings.
From the drop-down menu, select Bookmarks HTML file.
Select Choose File

I hope this helps you.

JCY
March 23rd, 2019, 10:51 PM
I have a gmail e-m acct. that I never look at. I signed up a few yrs. ago when I needed a Google acct. in order to view the M* winners of that last quilt contest. I do not like the gmail format. I've used Outlook's Hotmail for 10 yrs. Occas. they make changes which are frustrating, but I eventually figure them out. I don't even know how to "bookmark", let alone transfer it somewhere else. Sorry, I'm no help. Looks like Monique has your answer.

jjkaiser
March 24th, 2019, 12:50 AM
Thanks. I figured out the bookmarks. The address book, well I was able to import my old one but I still don't see a new address book on the gmail inbox screen unless I hit compose, hold my mouse on the To, and then it opens up. If I need to manually add a new contact I haven't figured that out yet, although I can save it off an email that I received. I wish email programs all used the same standard buttons and layouts to make things more user friendly! I really have no use for "social networks" or "promotions"(just internet ads basically) which they do have buttons for. Thanks for jumping in to help. This process has taken alot more time than I thought it would and I am pretty good with computers.

Carol336
March 24th, 2019, 07:26 AM
Thanks. I figured out the bookmarks. The address book, well I was able to import my old one but I still don't see a new address book on the gmail inbox screen unless I hit compose, hold my mouse on the To, and then it opens up. If I need to manually add a new contact I haven't figured that out yet, although I can save it off an email that I received. I wish email programs all used the same standard buttons and layouts to make things more user friendly! I really have no use for "social networks" or "promotions"(just internet ads basically) which they do have buttons for. Thanks for jumping in to help. This process has taken alot more time than I thought it would and I am pretty good with computers.

to find your contacts - click on the apps button (square dotted box) on the top right corner of the page. Hope this helps

Claire Hallman
March 24th, 2019, 11:15 AM
You may change your mind about the promotions tab, that is where many of my M* e-mails end up.

Rhonda K
March 24th, 2019, 08:03 PM
Will you have a different internet provider?

You will still need a service that gives you access to the internet. Perhaps you are going to use cell phone service. Don't forget to set up the "recovery" information for your new email account.

Do you have the option to "print" your current contacts list from old email provider? Take a screen shot perhaps?

Do you save bookmarks from email? I've only saved them when using the internet.

Hope you are all set for your new email.

jjkaiser
March 24th, 2019, 08:34 PM
I was in a phone cable internet bundle from Time Warner Cable but is now up to $216/month. I routinely called them twice a year to drop channels they gave me the runaround saying dropping channels takes you out of the bundle, and so you wind up with fewer channels and a higher bill. Was thinking of switching to Roku or Hulu or Firestick--i have so many notes on prices and channel selections and plans it would make your head spin. Then we got a card in the mail from ATT running a 12 month special on phone internet cable for $95 a month. That was an excellent deal. I know they might jack up the price after one year so that is why we are switching to gmail accounts for email. So if we drop ATT/Direct TV we won't have to go through setting up new email accounts again. We use Firefox as our internet browser and I discovered that bookmarks are actually a feature of the browser (Firefox) not your email provider, so those will remain intact. I was able to export my TWC address book into gmail so that is not lost either. I think I am all set to cut the cord tomorrow. If anybody reading this is contemplating making this change and has questions, I would be glad to help, as this is pretty fresh in my mind.

MissMay in Jersey
March 25th, 2019, 09:56 AM
My Gmail loads the standard view like you are receiving. When I open my Gmail I quickly need to click on the Loading standard view notation on the bottom right of the screen, that loads the HTML view for slower connections. That list all your emails in date and time order and also contains your contact list. Spam and contact folders also. Problem I have is that I can't keep that view as the default view. Hope this helps.

Aside, Found this out when DS#2 & DIL surprised us with a visit one night and DIL said didn't you get our email? DS has Gmail on his phone and showed me their email but his view wasn't the one I had. Played around with gmail until I found the slower connection view and there their email was hidden in the Spam folder.