PDA

View Full Version : Watch out for "fake" calls about your credit cards

geegeequilts
March 14th, 2019, 02:52 PM
We had one Monday night. Someone called & said there had been a charge on our card in Florida. We live in GA. After much back & forth conversation they told us it would be taken care of. It was. The next morning DH check our account & yep, there it was...an additional charge of $3,400.00!!!!:icon_eek::icon_eek: Dh called account co. again & after 2 days I am happy:icon_woohoo::icon_woohoo::icon_woohoo: credit card account is now cleared up.

Beware & be careful.

Gina

Carlie Wolf
March 14th, 2019, 03:14 PM
When they called did they say they were your banks fraud center?

PamelaOry
March 14th, 2019, 04:01 PM
Grrrr. That makes me so mad. Now that my mom is getting older they have started to really harass her with calls like this.

Caroline T.
March 14th, 2019, 04:03 PM
When they called did they say they were your banks fraud center?

I have received several of those calls from the fraud dept, most were legit calls, but one of those calls a couple of years back, caller said they were with (insert correct credit card company) fraud center, but something seemed off, so I told him I would have to call him back. Instead of calling the number he gave me, I called my CC company directly....no fraud or unauthorized charges on my account.

We must ALWAYS use due diligence. These scammers have lots of tricks up their sleeves.

jjkaiser
March 14th, 2019, 05:00 PM
I think it's always a good policy to tell them you will call back, and then immediately call your credit card company. Better safe than sorry. It can be so unnerving and confusing when scammers are able to control your caller I.D. to make things look legit. Our credit cards have a 3 number code on the back, maybe if you asked the caller to verify that number, without telling them the true number, that would help you determine if they were really from the company they said they were?

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 14th, 2019, 05:11 PM
It's always wise to be careful.

Pam, it's unfortunate and probably unnerving for your mom to get these types of calls.

Mom gets them also. Funny thing though, mom and dad never had a credit card in their lives. My dad would say if you don't have the money, you do without or save up to buy it. Same thing, they never had a mortgage or car loan. Downside of this, they never had a credit rating.

TMP
March 14th, 2019, 05:22 PM
I am glad that you found out about it as fast as you did and the credit card company took care of it.

Patty J
March 14th, 2019, 05:51 PM
You were lucky that you found it out so quickly. I know someone who had her computer hacked (so they said) when she booted it up in the morning. Called the number and gave out credit card # didn't know how much they were charging, but ended up paying out several times and the card was maxed out. What a mess. Instead of keeping on paying ( they said they were going to ruin her credit, come to her house and generally made harassing calls all day every day) she should have contacted credit card company and the police. Still trying to help her, but it looks hopeless and her perfect credit rating is down the toilet. Be aware and stay safe.

Carlie Wolf
March 14th, 2019, 10:52 PM
Caroline T, I've gotten about three calls from my banks fraud center over the last 4 months. It's always about a purchase I've just made to a place in Canada that I deal with though. All were legit. I did notice though that they do not ask for my bank or credit card number or any personal identifying info. The only thing they ask is for me to do is verify the dollar amount of three purchases I've recently made. If you give the wrong answer then they lock your account from internet purchases and do not not honor the purchase that flagged them. You don't even say where those purchases were from.

Monique
March 15th, 2019, 07:44 AM
I almost got caught a while back in the wee hours of the morning. Luckily I hung up on them before it was too late.

geegeequilts
March 15th, 2019, 02:31 PM
Carlie, it started with an "unknown caller". DH answered & asked who they were & what did they want. THEY were the ones that said our card had been hacked. We called CCC & got the ball rolling to fix the problem. Jerry is the calmer of us, My rule is you don't mess with our money.

Just want you to be ever vigilant. Unfortunately, that means everywhere & about everything. Things were sure a lot more simple when I was younger.

Gina