PDA

View Full Version : It's Thursday

Monique
March 14th, 2019, 08:42 AM
Good morning friends. Maizyn and I had a rather quiet day yesterday. But today is another matter. It's Tea Party day. We have lots to do this morning.

I thought spring was coming but yesterday afternoon it started to SNOW and SNOW and SNOW. Today it is supposed to RAIN RAIN RAIN. I have no idea what is going on with the weather.

Not sure what we will do tomorrow, either Wave Pool or Movie. We will see what tomorrow brings.

Have a great day everyone.

Star lover
March 14th, 2019, 08:52 AM
Good morning y’all!

Oh Monique, today’s going to be sooooo much fun! I’m thinking, it’s going to be crowded at your party......with lots of virtual sippers!

Our weather is going to do somethin today.......sigh.....the front from the Midwest is a comin here.....I’m not sure about the 80 mph winds.....they say 60+ mph. We’re to have loads of rain, thunderstorms, hail......not sounding good. I watched the weather reports from Colorado, Texas, Kansas, etc. wow, they had it bad. So I’m hoping not that bad here. We’ll see.

Well, I’m off in another direction with the Wounded Warrior quilt. Didn’t like the layout. So I’ve got my thinkin cap on and I smell smoke! I think I’m kinda OCD, when it comes to the layout.......mmmmmm

Hope everyone is safe, warm and keeping their power....
Have a wonderful day! Love and hugs!

JCY
March 14th, 2019, 09:12 AM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ Yes, we had the weather yesterday! Some fwys. & many secondary roads still are closed this a.m. There were hundreds of calls for help from stranded motorists, accidents, etc. The gov. called out the national guard to help with the rescues. E. of Denver was the hardest hit, but it's always bad S. of Denver, too. There's a bad area between Denver & Colo. Spgs. One mt. town W. of Boulder got 18". Not sure how much we got -- at least 3", but the wind driven snow caused blizzard conditions. Our snow angel from church still hasn't come. DH asked one of our neighbors to shovel our front walk & a path on the driveway from the porch so we could walk to the mailbox. As of 8 p.m., the flag on the box still wasn't down. I did not venture out on the icy driveway in the dark to check. No one would hear me if I fell out there. It can wait till after daylight this a.m.

That 50 min. power outage was our only one yest. The lights flickered a few times, but the power stayed on.

Today I'll be baking DH's spelt bread. No plans to go anywhere. I hope to get more sewing done.

Bubby
March 14th, 2019, 09:13 AM
Morning Everyone...It poured buckets of rain all day yesterday. There is so much flooding in our state and Tuesday night there were three water rescues in our area. People take all sorts of risks crossing low water bridges and often get into real trouble.

Yesterday I laid out the blocks for the wedding quilt and got two rows of blocks sewn together. I'm quite sore from crawling around on the floor yesterday and today will be a different sort of day. I need to keep moving today.

Yesterday I dashed to our local market intending to pick up some chicken breasts that are on sale. All of that went well until I got back to my car. I was freezing and it was pouring rain and decided I to start the car with the heater on. I did that and shut the driver's door. You know it...the door locked itself and I was locked out and the car was running with a pretty low tank. I intended to buy gas on the way home. My phone was locked in the car also. I called AAA from the store and the usual man was sick in bed and the soonest they could get someone to help me was an hour or more. I called my hero Jeff at work (just a mile away) because I know he keeps a key to my car in his truck and he was more than willing to help me BUT he couldn't leave the prison until the morning count cleared. Of course that took another 30 minutes but then he dashed right over and got me straightened out. I know that the doors on my car lock when I put my car in gear but had no idea they would lock because the car was running...live and learn.

Monique, I hope have a wonderful tea party today with your little lady. I absolutely used to love doing that with Bree when she was little...such sweet memories.

Joy, I hope your weather straightens up today so you can go into Spring. Fortunately your power wasn't out terribly long, just long enough to be inconvenient.

That's pretty much everything in my little corner of Missouri. I hope the sun is shining where you are.

Hugs, Barb

KPH
March 14th, 2019, 09:31 AM
Good Morning All,

Glad my seam ripper decided to take a little vacation yesterday afternoon. I managed to get three rows pinned and sewn on the Garden Star. I think I'm going to call it Irish Friends. Since the Tuell's started out as O'Tuells back in the day. I'm planning on finishing the rows today and taking it to Jim's to see if I'll make an inner border and outer or just the outer border. It has a lot of drop on my bed, but I want to see how much drop it has on the king sized bed before I start cutting more fabric.

The backing arrived yesterday for my hexie quilt and Irish Friends. I love them both. Something tells me April will be a good month for Palm Tree Long Arm Quilting! Once those are in the shop, I'll start work on Gracie's. I need to find my contrast color for the jelly roll. I've been waiting to go to Cinnamon's while I'm at Palm Tree next door.

Didn't hear anything from Jim yesterday, probably won't today either... until he goes to practice tonight at church.

The weather out west sounds horrible. Hope it doesn't keep anyone from enjoying their sewing rooms! The Players is this week here, so the weather folks are keeping close tabs. Should be fairly comfortable for the golfers and those watching. Nandy has two tickets, I know he'll have a great day when he decides to go.

Prayers for those in need, for healing, comfort, strength, wisdom, and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

JulieC
March 14th, 2019, 10:11 AM
Good Morning, Everyone!

I am off today. I have a roofer coming over to Mom's house to see if it needs repair or a new roof. The roof is less than 10 years old, but we have had a lot of issues with it leaking. I had three roofers out last year and they all said she needs a new roof. I wasn't happy with any of them, didn't get the work done, and then over the winter it started leaking in the living room. :( The roof should be under warranty, but with Mom's Alzheimer's, we don't know which company she hired or what she did with the paperwork.

I am making progress on my twinkling stars quilt -- I think it will be a small lap size when finished. It is a quick project. I have 24 more units to make before I can start sewing the stars. The hard part will be deciding which colors go together.

Highs will be in the mid to upper 60's today, with rain predicted through lunchtime. I should pull the car out the garage and let the rain wash the salt off...after I have another cup of tea.

Have a wonderful day!

Ginny B
March 14th, 2019, 10:12 AM
Good morning all. I am back home after a nice few days visit my sis and I had with Johnny and Rob. My sweet hubby had a bouquet of roses waiting for me to welcome me home. He said he missed me. :icon_bigsmile: We are going to head to a spring flower show today for a bit. It's at a local nursery so not a gigantic show but nice. Then we may actually put some mulch down in a front flower bed. Today's weather won't be too bad but it looks like a bunch of nasty, wet weather tomorrow. I have an eye doctor appointment tomorrow so I hope it's not too bad. My left eye has been a bit runny and blurry the last couple weeks so I hope he can tell me what that's all about . It started out with feeling like I had a sty or something with a bit of pain but that only lasted a couple days.

Monique, have a fun time at the tea party. Barb, I would never have thought that the car doors would lock by just closing the door. Oh boy, how stressful. Joy, be careful going out for that mail. I am going to have to check with my brother and sil and see how they faired with that nasty weather. Katrina, sounds like you are making great progress. You go girl! Anita, I am sure that no matter what direction you go with the Wounded Warrior quilt, it will be wonderful and greatly appreciated and loved. Julie , I hope you can find the paperwork for the roof. Good luck

Time to continue on with the day. Have a good one everyone. Be careful out there in the nasty, unpredictable early spring weather.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 14th, 2019, 10:30 AM
Good morning ladies,

Well it would be a pretty sight outdoors, if it wasn't the week before spring is scheduled to arrive. We had more heavy wet snow last night, making it pretty but this will turn yucky as we are expecting lots of rain. Streets will be a mess, driving challenging.

158140 I fear this is just the beginning of bad weather.
Joy, that cyclone bomb is making it across the continent.
Barb- luckily, you weren't out of town. That happened to me, and it was not fun. I think you might want to make certain that you have an inflatable or row boat handy or build an arc.
I saw where there were tornadoes in NM and TX this week. Bad weather coming along.
Chelea- hang in there, spring will arrive eventually.

Yesterday, I spent a few hours with mom, talking to PSW, nurse and doctor. There's a disconnect in level of care provided. I think things may change, as I took pictures in the presence of staff. I don't want to threaten or file a provincial complaint, but if I see no improvement, that is my last option.

It was also baking / cooking day. I made 2 large batches of chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, baked 2 doz of frozen ginger orange cookies. Then I made a pan of pineapple delight, and a chicken stew for dinner. I spoke to my daughter last night, and I will do a Costco run this morning for the vegetables and food needed for Saturday's birthday party. There will be 30 people. We will cook and prep food tomorrow, while her MIL watches the kids. She was also sick last week when I was sick. She missed 4 days of work, putting her behind, so she worked longer hours this week to catch up. She manages a challenging group. I hope she doesn't decide to accept this position again, when it comes up for renewal. She is replacing another person who crashed and burned. I think she had a much better life-work balance in her previous job, and was able to work from home 2-3 days per week.

I am looking forward to a massage this aft. Tonight if DH decides to go to Fleet meeting, I will drive him, as it is across town and I'm worried about his night driving. He is not objecting, that's good. I will bring small quilt project to work on. I think this is where I might decide to take up a Hexies project. Never did one, but I'm game.

Gotta run errands. Be safe and stay indoors if you don't need to weather the storm.

Cathy F
March 14th, 2019, 10:49 AM
Morning all,

Not much new in my world just stopping by to say quick hello. Not much sewing going on here. Yesterday my project was to sew two twin size flat sheets together so we could use it as a matching top sheet to the bottom fitted sheets. We have a king size adjustable bed so it's hard to buy sheet sets because it takes two twin extra long fitted sheets and a king size flat sheet. Got it done with a French seam so now we have a matching set and that was the extent of my sewing.
Monique have fun with the tea party, you're making nice memories for your granddaughter.
Joy, hope you snow angel comes to shovel soon.
Katrina wish I could get motivated to sew as quickly as you get through your projects.
Barb, thank goodness those types of days don't happen often.

Wishing all a good day!

Claire Hallman
March 14th, 2019, 12:43 PM
Morning all,

Not much new in my world just stopping by to say quick hello. Not much sewing going on here. Yesterday my project was to sew two twin size flat sheets together so we could use it as a matching top sheet to the bottom fitted sheets. We have a king size adjustable bed so it's hard to buy sheet sets because it takes two twin extra long fitted sheets and a king size flat sheet. Got it done with a French seam so now we have a matching set and that was the extent of my sewing.
Monique have fun with the tea party, you're making nice memories for your granddaughter.
Joy, hope you snow angel comes to shovel soon.
Katrina wish I could get motivated to sew as quickly as you get through your projects.
Barb, thank goodness those types of days don't happen often.

Wishing all a good day!
I have often wondered about making sheets from the wide quilting fabric. It seems that right now one can't buy sheets individually but only in sets. My pillowcases wear out quicker than the sheets and I have made new ones with quilting cotton. I haven't tried to make a sheet though.

Cathy F
March 14th, 2019, 01:28 PM
I have often wondered about making sheets from the wide quilting fabric. It seems that right now one can't buy sheets individually but only in sets. My pillowcases wear out quicker than the sheets and I have made new ones with quilting cotton. I haven't tried to make a sheet though.

Claire, I have had some luck buying sheets and pillow cases separately from Target and Bed Bath and Beyond. I never thought about the wide quilt fabric till you mentioned it.

I got some really nice x- long twin sets on sale for $10.00 so took advantage of them and will just sew the two flat sheets together for now.

JCY
March 14th, 2019, 03:39 PM
Back again ~ The 2nd loaf of bread is in the oven. It will be done in 30 min. I love how the house smells when bread is baking.

Our snow angel came this a.m. on the way to work. He didn't come after work yest. due to the high winds; he figured the driveway would just drift shut. There was a layer of ice under the snow on the patio which he chipped away. I bundled up & went outside earlier this a.m. to brush snow off the side of the house & clear off the window well covers. The bsmt. was so much darker yest. with the snow covering them. Lots of bunny tracks in the snow. One of the rabbits was on the north side of the house when I went out. Earlier I'd seen him huddled in the flower bed by the patio.

When he came, our snow angel brought our completed taxes. His wife is a CPA & works part time out of her home. This is the 3rd year she's done our taxes. Our previous person died of cancer. He'd done our taxes for 38 yrs. It looks like we have to pay $74. to the feds., & will get most of our CO state refund back. I'm satisfied with that.

I imagine the Denver Airport is a mess today. Yest. all flights in/out were cancelled, even though the airport was open. Many people had to sit around & wait for today for rescheduled flights. The main road into the airport was shut down due to weather & accidents, so people were stuck there with no way to get to a hotel. When they built that airport miles E. of Denver, it was touted as an "all weather airport". Huh! Over the years there have been problems with snowstorms, severe thunderstorms, tornados, etc.

No mail was delivered anywhere in town yest. We did not get a newspaper this a.m. due to a power outage. The Thurs. & Friday papers will be delivered tomorrow.

The sewing project I started yest. was another mini quilt, using up the rest of those small 2.5" HSTs. I made just enough more HSTs so I'll have 8 across & 8 down for a 16" block. Our quilt guild sells mini quilts during a silent auction at our annual show in Oct. It could be a wall hanging, a table topper, or for a doll bed.

Well, it's good to see the sun! Our temp. is up to 50 deg., so we're getting some thawing.

PamelaOry
March 14th, 2019, 03:57 PM
Good morning/afternoon All.
Got a call at 8 am from my NY son that his Dad (we are divorced) will be bringing a potential buyer by to see his amp for sale at 3pm today. Surprise! Today just became house cleaning day. I’m terrible at keeping the house up, I’m clinically depressed and we are still trying to find a med combination that helps. In a twisted way, the unexpected company is a good thing, it motivates me when nothing else will.

Thankfully, our weather here is mild, I’ll be saying extra prayers for safety and warmth for Joy and those effected by the storms today. Will be sending warm thoughts to your tea party today Monique!

Mimi_Howard
March 14th, 2019, 04:45 PM
Good Day All... Got my car serviced this morning and only cost an arm this time. Last time was like an arm and a leg. Picked up my tax paperwork and I actually get a refund from state. First time in ......... well many many many years I have gotten anything back from the state of Calif. Guess being unemployed for the last half of 2018 helped to get me in a lower bracket for once. Not a big amount but not paying is big to me! I was hoping just to break even. Spent most of yesterday mowing and edging the yard. Almost got it done before the battery power was gone. Taking this afternoon off and go back to finishing it maybe tomorrow. Too windy today. Time for lunch and thinking maybe a nap to recharge the mind and rest the sore muscles.