PDA

View Full Version : Monday Trivia: Maraschino Cherries

Star lover
March 11th, 2019, 07:32 AM
Maraschino cherries haven't always been blazing red sugar bombs that top ice cream sundaes and float in cocktails.

They originated in the 1890s as a delicacy made by steeping marasca cherries from Yugoslavia (now Croatia) in maraschino, a marasca cherry liqueur.

By the 1920s, American cherry growers had "perfected" a low-cost, alcohol-free substitute for the original, using native-grown Royal cherries that were bleached, soaked in syrup and dyed bright red. (Yuk!)

It's still possible to buy maraschino cherries made the original way. Or you can find a recipe and make your own.

Monique
March 11th, 2019, 07:42 AM
They are still good.

Star lover
March 11th, 2019, 07:44 AM
They are still good.

Oh yes, very tasty, but I didn’t know how they were made......that’s the yucky part.

Anitamae56
March 11th, 2019, 09:26 AM
Very interesting , but I love them.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 11th, 2019, 10:33 AM
DH developed a severe allergy to all pitted fruits, which includes fresh or maraschino cherries. I don't keep them in the house just in case.

I do buy some Washington cherries when in season and enjoy this tasty treat. I just don't kiss DH for a few hours, again, just in case.

bakermom
March 11th, 2019, 07:23 PM
I have bought the large jars of maraschino cherries that have stems, drained the juice and replaced it with rum. Let them steep for a week or two, drain well and dry them off. Dip in melted chocolate(that's why they have to be dried off well-so the chocolate doesn't seize) Makes a great holiday treat for grown-ups