PDA

View Full Version : The Dreaded Time Change Sunday

KPH
March 10th, 2019, 07:24 AM
Have mercy! It's O dark thirty and I need coffee STAT!

I hate changing times, and very thankful that I don't have to change many of them! I started looking at the clock at almost 2. Then almost 3, then almost 5, then 5:45. I'm getting to the place I hate that clock!

Yesterday, I did half the sashing on the remaining garden stars. The other half is ready to sew on, but I just didn't feel like messing with it. I laid out the blocks I finished on my bed. I'm thinking I'll need 1 more row, and I just wasn't in the mood to think about doing them.

I ordered backing for the garden stars with enough extra for the backing for a throw, and the backing for the hexie quilt. I'll need to get busy to finish the garden star so I can get it quilted. The fabric arrived for Gracie's quilt. So when I take the hexie and garden star in, I can find something in a gray for her sashing fabric.

Coffee is done, time to finish getting ready for church.

Prayers for those in need for healing, comfort, strength, wisdom, and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

JCY
March 10th, 2019, 09:08 AM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ I hear ya, Katrina. I wish they'd leave the time alone & stay on standard time year 'round. It's a nuisance changing all the clocks forward in the spring & back in the fall. DH usually does most of ours. We have a lot of clocks scattered around the house.

I didn't do any sewing yest. I went to a 60th wedding anniv. celebration at our church in the afternoon. A very nice lunch spread. Our men's quartet sang several songs & there was a program with sharing of memories.

Today is church. It's my Sun. to play the organ. Wed. the piano playing went ok, so I don't anticipate any problems with the organ. I play a 10 min. prelude, for 1 hymn, & the postlude. The other music is done by the praise team.

My gr. son is in Mexico this week rock climbing with friends. I'm praying for his safety. It was a trip for his birthday.

Have a good Sunday.

JulieC
March 10th, 2019, 09:52 AM
Good Morning! I am not a fan of the time change, either. It was so dark when I got up this morning. It will take all week for me to adjust. :(

Temps are starting off warm, then falling throughout the day. We have a wind advisory in effect until late this afternoon. I am ready if the power goes out again, the camping lanterns I ordered from Amazon came last week.

I spent some time in the sewing room yesterday. It was nice to do some simple piecing on the twinkling stars blocks. Joy's post reminded me I still need to sew down the hanging sleeve on the wallhanging I finished last weekend.

I think I will have another cup of tea, then off to the grocery store before it gets too busy. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

KarenC
March 10th, 2019, 09:55 AM
Good morning ladies. Today is supposed to be a rainy one. Yesterday was beautiful. I was able to do a bit of yard work, but there is more to finish today if the rain holds off. I did get the sprinkler system turned back on, with the help of my young neighbor. I wish I had thought of the WD 40 myself. I despise having to ask for help when I can't turn those knobs.
I was able to find wide backing yesterday for the 2 client quilts i've been working on, so i'll get that washed and ironed today. Still trying to decide how to quilt it. It's 7 inch patchwork squares, and client is very traditional, so i'm thinking either x through the blocks or clamshells.
Katrina, I finally removed my alarm clock out of the bedroom because I would do the same thing, looking at it constantly. I do have my tablet handy with alarm. I find I still pick it up and look, but not as often.
Joy, glad you are finally feeling some relief from the hand pain.
Hope everyone has a great day

BethB
March 10th, 2019, 10:28 AM
Good morning everyone. Temps are a little warmer today - about 34 right now. Weatherman said it should get up into the 50's today. That will surely melt the snow that is left. I, too, am not a fan of the time changing. There are a couple of clocks that are up high where I can't reach them and I never seem to remember to have someone take them down when they are here, so I just have been leaving them and remember that they are either one hour ahead or correct. Now they are correct.

A legislator here in Pennsylvania is going to introduce a bill (or whatever he called it) to do away with daylight saving time. He listed so many reasons why it is a bad idea. I hope it goes through, but I have my doubts.

Yesterday I embroidered the pocket of the reading pocket pillow my sister asked me to make for a baby gift (she is paying me). Now all I have to do is put the pillow together -- easy. I have a quilt guild board meeting this afternoon. That will take a couple of hours so won't be getting much else accomplished today.

The results of the sestimibi scan were finally posted on my portal. As it turns out, not enough of the radioactive stuff they injected into me drained from the thyroid so they could not tell if there was a problem with the parathyroid or not. The stuff is supposed to drain from the thyroid within 3 hours. After 5 hours, it was still a problem so I don't know what they will want to do now. My dr. appt. isn't until the 22nd of this month.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Nancy

grammaterry
March 10th, 2019, 10:38 AM
the time change just doesn't make sense for most of us. daylight or standard, it just doesn't matter. They are turning daylight off later and on earlier so its not a very long standard anymore. If the object is to have more light, God takes care of that and the sun stays out longer come spring thru summer. Oh well...just another nuisance
Joy, enjoy your spotlight on the organ today. I know that it feels good to play . Glad your hand is allowing it to happen.
Katrina, you must be the most prolific quilter amongst us. You have so many quilts in the works all the time
Today I am digging up a flower bed and I'm going to trry to save the bulbs. DH says that it is retaining all the rainwater and is compromising the footers in front of the house. It has to go. Hummm...Another project.
Hoping to sew up a few more strips today. Need 11 more blocks and then I'll put them on the design wall and see if the colors played well with each other. I am using up all my green, brown, orange and yellow left over jelly rolls for this one. Looks like a throwback 70's. Then, I will try to put together all the pink, red, blue , purple and beige and my box will again be manageable. I don't know how that scrap box fills up with so many odds and ends.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 10th, 2019, 12:20 PM
Good morning everyone.

I feel like I've lost a few hours, as I got up past 10am. I didn't sleep soundly last night, as I heard the wind howling, and then it sounded like freezing rain. It's a wet snow now, but we are expecting up to 8" when it's done. I don't have plans to go out as I'm still fighting this cold, possibly developing a sinus infection. PJ was worried and came in for a tummy rub around 9, but that just puts me back to sleep.

I didn't sew yesterday,, but I did work on a sewing room project. I bought a metal Barbie bunk bed at a local thrift shop. I cut some hanging file folders to fit the width of the bed. I now have a place to store my small patterns. I will be able to flip through them easier. I like to display unique items.

158069 158070

I'm expecting a call from mom, to adjust the time on her clock and watch, I'm not going out in this weather. DH will clean the driveway later today as he meet the cataract doctor tomorrow.

I am envious of everyone who get to play in their gardens. Maybe in 4-6 weeks, I will see the grass. Enjoy. In the meantime, I can dream.

Have a good day. Stay warm and stay dry. Be safe if you need to travel.

Nwmnteacher
March 10th, 2019, 12:25 PM
What a creative storage idea!

Claire Hallman
March 10th, 2019, 01:04 PM
Good morning everyone.

I feel like I've lost a few hours, as I got up past 10am. I didn't sleep soundly last night, as I heard the wind howling, and then it sounded like freezing rain. It's a wet snow now, but we are expecting up to 8" when it's done. I don't have plans to go out as I'm still fighting this cold, possibly developing a sinus infection. PJ was worried and came in for a tummy rub around 9, but that just puts me back to sleep.

I didn't sew yesterday,, but I did work on a sewing room project. I bought a metal Barbie bunk bed at a local thrift shop. I cut some hanging file folders to fit the width of the bed. I now have a place to store my small patterns. I will be able to flip through them easier. I like to display unique items.

158069 158070

DH will clean the driveway later today as he meet the cataract doctor tomorrow.

Cute reuse of the doll bed.
If your DH ends up having to use all those drops he might benefit from my idea. I have a check off sheet to keep track of the drops and it has the medicine name on it in tiny letters. In order to keep track I go by the color of the lid on each. I take the purple and the white lids once a day, the tan and pink ones 4 times. I just wrote the lid color on my sheet in big letters and don't have to get out readers to determine which one to use. If his meds don't have different colors a sharpie or nail polish on the lid would work.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 10th, 2019, 01:12 PM
If your DH ends up having to use all those drops he might benefit from my idea. I have a check off sheet to keep track of the drops and it has the medicine name on it in tiny letters. In order to keep track I go by the color of the lid on each. I take the purple and the white lids once a day, the tan and pink ones 4 times. I just wrote the lid color on my sheet in big letters and don't have to get out readers to determine which one to use. If his meds don't have different colors a sharpie or nail polish on the lid would work.

Thanks Claire for the tip. I think tomorrow is the initial visit since he was referred by our ophtamologist. He's hoping the surgery gets scheduled sooner than later. So far it's only for one eye.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 10th, 2019, 01:13 PM

Thanks Claire for the tip. I think tomorrow is the initial visit since he was referred by our ophtamologist. He's hoping the surgery gets scheduled sooner than later. So far it's only for one eye.

Ginny B
March 10th, 2019, 02:04 PM
Good morning all. Yes, this whole clock changing thing drives me nuts. People always say to me "But don't you like having longer days?" .Really? ? Do they really think that by changing our clocks we trick the sun into staying up one more hour? We really need to get over this Daylight saving myth.

Ok, I am off my soapbox for today. We had a productive and fun day yesterday. Hubby got the shopping all done and then came home and helped me get the rest of the housecleaning items done that I had on my list. That gave us more time to go visit with the grands. We got to spend some fun time with Tessa (who stayed awake for the whole time we were there), Henry and also Max. Sadly Max' little sis Lily was home sick with mom.:icon_cry:. I also had a video call with Zeke so I got to see him too. I did get a bit of time in my sewing room but it was mostly spent straightening up. Not too much creating happened.

Tomorrow my sis and I are headed up to Peekskill to spend a couple days with Johnny and Rob. She hasn't seen her nephews since Christmas. So no sewing room time until later in the week. I do have my Farmer's Wife blocks to bring with me though.

Have a good day all. Stay warm and safe.

KPH
March 10th, 2019, 02:44 PM
Church was so hard this morning. I did well in the Sunday School hour but church, sigh, it just felt like he was droning on and on! I guess it's not a good thing to have the SS teacher substitute for the preacher on the same day, or maybe not on this Sunday. I think I need a nap but I want to get the last of the sashing sewn on and start on those last 6 blocks.

PamelaOry
March 10th, 2019, 03:49 PM
Good morning/afternoon All.

I had a hard time waking up today, I think my body is in open rebellion against daylight savings time. We need to do away with this.

I got a few more red,white, and blue swap blocks done yesterday and now have 3 more embroidered ones to do before I switch everything back to sewing mode. I finally realized that the patterns showing in my book are different than the patterns on my stick, so I don’t have the ones I thought I had. I went on eBay and made an offer on the Americana set I want, hope they accept it.

Hubby has decided we need more variety in our menu so he’s planning to make curry and Kailua pork this week. He tends to like to be creative in the kitchen with the spices so we will see. I keep trying to encourage him to just follow the recipes but apparently that’s not as much fun.

auntstuff
March 10th, 2019, 03:54 PM
I'm retired and don't bother with the clocks. It just isn't important. The computer changes automatically, and if I have an appointment to keep, I set my mostly unused watch by it. Life is good. :)

GuitarGramma
March 10th, 2019, 07:58 PM
California is thinking of opting out of the time change system and staying on DST always. Arizona and Hawaii already do not observe DST. No one likes it.

But there's another option: Let's go back to the dates we had forty years ago: Spring Forward on the last Sunday in April, Fall Back on the last Sunday in October. Our bodies are ready for it then, as the sun has shifted.

Funny story: We got married the weekend before the time change. We were on our honeymoon for a week. End of the week, church didn't seem to start on time. Then the pastor made a joke about the 8:30 people thinking Mass was starting a half hour late. We commented to some sweet women near us that we didn't know the time was changing that weekend. They said, "Oh, you forgot." We tried to explain that we never knew, and you have to know something first before you can forget it.

They reply? "Oh, you forgot." We gave up!