PDA

View Full Version : Saturday...lets get motivated

grammaterry
March 9th, 2019, 09:18 AM
Good morning all. I see Monique is up and posting but can't find a morning hello post. I need to get motivated. The rain is sogging me down.
I have been making simple squares from leftover jelly roll strips. It is mindless sewing but it has beenpleasant and I'm seeing that box dwindle and I think that is making me happy.
I need to begin quilting the black and white quilt but I'm just not ready.
I'm thinking of making a trip to SC next week to visit the children. The weatherpeople are telling me its going to be dry and warm so the trip would be easy.
Have a great weekend.

Monique
March 9th, 2019, 09:24 AM
Good morning Terry. I take the weekends off, lol!! I didn't sleep well last night. It is hard to shut the mind off in the middle of the night.

I am meeting Phil at noon halfway to get my girl. Then we shall pick up groceries along the way. So there won't be much sewing/quilting done this week at all. I am hoping to have a tea party this week and invite Les' brother and sister in law. Maizyn loves a tea party. I think Tuesday there will be a trip to the quilt store in Arnprior, they have the collection Healing Waters by Northcott. I NEED to get me some of this. It is beautiful fabric.

And so that is what my day is shaping up to be.

Catch you all when I can. Have an awesome my friends.

sew-what2015
March 9th, 2019, 09:33 AM
Good morning Terry. I take the weekends off, lol!! I didn't sleep well last night. It is hard to shut the mind off in the middle of the night.

I am meeting Phil at noon halfway to get my girl. Then we shall pick up groceries along the way. So there won't be much sewing/quilting done this week at all. I am hoping to have a tea party this week and invite Les' brother and sister in law. Maizyn loves a tea party. I think Tuesday there will be a trip to the quilt store in Arnprior, they have the collection Healing Waters by Northcott. I NEED to get me some of this. It is beautiful fabric.

And so that is what my day is shaping up to be.

Catch you all when I can. Have an awesome my friends.
Good Morning.
Monique, I love the idea of a tea party. What do you serve at yours?
Terry, I need motivation every morning. The winter has been so cold and windy here. All I want to do is stay under the quilts and sleep. I can tolerate frost but those biting northeast winds get into every crack and cranny..

Ginny B
March 9th, 2019, 10:45 AM
Good morning everyone. Terry, I am certainly in need of motivation. I haven't been in my sewing room for days! I plan to every day but I never get there. I think having the hubs home all day, every day is the issue. I feel like I need to make sure he has something to keep him occupied and then it usually involves me doing something with him. Things need to change. I am getting cranky. I think another part of it is that I am not getting up early enough now (used to be up by 6). Then I work on laundry or other household stuff, do things with hubby and then before you know it, it's almost evening. Yup, I need to change some things. After I retired I got into a good routine that included sewing room time. Throw another retiree into the mix and there goes my "new normal". I guess I need to work on a "newer" normal.

Monique, Have fun with Maizyn. I hope you get to have your tea party.

Ok, it's time to get this day going. I will get my "new normal" mojo working. Thanks ladies; good talk. :icon_wave: Have a great day all.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 9th, 2019, 11:22 AM
Good morning everyone,
Sunny and a bit warmer today. We are seeing signs of spring. We've seen some turtle doves and a lot more birds at the feeders. It's must challenging to refill them, since the yard has about 3 feet of snow all over.

Yesterday, I made about 18 meatloaf cheese muffins for my daughter and froze them. I had to gown up and glove up since I didn't want to contaminate the food. I looked like I was wearing a hazmat suit. They are frozen and I will drop them off later this weekend. I made two for us with blue cheese, and roasted cherry tomatoes and peppers. I then took a long nap in the afternoon. DH made dinner, aka we ordered chinese food. It was good and the hot dishes certainly helped my cold. There are leftovers for today.

Ginny, I certainly know where you are. I retired after DH, and he had his routine. Then the GKs started being born faster than rabbits, and requests for help. On days that I want to get moving earlier, i program our washing machine to start in the morning. Since our closet backs on the laundry room, it's a gentle rumble and the day gets started. Luckily my DH has a lot of hobbies, and he goes from one to the other. We used to volunteer on same activities but not so much any more, so we divide up and that's when I go with my GFs on our separate activities. We usually check our calendars and plug in together time, road trips and family events.

I haven't planned much for today since I'm still under the weather. If I get to the sewing room that will be a bonus.

Enjoy your weekend everyone. Be safe on the roads, as I see there are many areas still getting some nasty storms.. Stay warm and stay dry.

KPH
March 9th, 2019, 11:50 AM
Good Morning All,

Thanks Terry for starting us out. I'm in the dog house with Mike. I've lost the Shriner Circus tickets. Sigh. We ransacked the house last night, I said a prayer last night for a hint where to look. This morning it was pretty clear to me, I'd picked up the tickets with some construction paper art that the little ones did and they're long gone. So, the Shriner's have a donation and I don't have to sit through the circus this year. They have the Chinese Lantern show out there from now till May. I'll take Mike to that. It's only open Thur- Sun. so we'll pick a nice evening and go when they first open up. I may even pop for the grandkids to go. Who knows. I'll have to see what all this backing fabric is going to set me back this month.

I did manage to get 18 of the blocks sashed on two sides yesterday. I'll do the other half today. I'd like to lay them out on Jim and Morgan's king sized bed to see if I'm going to have to add more blocks. I'm hoping 36 will do, but I have more fabric if I need to add to it.

Talked to my MIL this morning. She's been doing well in the rehab for her knee. She has PT 3 hours in the morning. I was lucky to catch her. She said everyone is really pleased with how she's doing. She was dressed above the waist before the nurses came to help her dress this morning. She's still having trouble with getting pants and compression stockings started, but once they're started she'll finish the job. I was worried when she started talking this morning, but soon realized she didn't have her partials in. Once she slid them in, I knew she was fine!

I'm going to make her friends a quilt with the left over Mayfield fabrics. They'll be coming down in October, so maybe they'll stop by and pick it up.

I need a caffeine refill. Have a wonderful day everyone!

Prayers for those in need, the needs are so many, and prayers of praise for all of our many blessings.

baslp
March 9th, 2019, 12:26 PM
Good morning. It will be a nice day here. I am putting it in high gear. We leave for S. Dakota early tomorrow morning. I took our diabetic cat to the vet to stay while we are gone. My DD will take care of the dogs. This is the first time we are leaving the 4 dogs . I did find a person to come twice a day to let them out.
I hope the storm Taylor has moved out of the plains.

Have a great day
Beth

PamelaOry
March 9th, 2019, 02:31 PM
Good morning All.

Things are peaceful here. I got all but the last two of my exchange blocks done. I plan to finish those today. Last night I set up the embroidery machine and made a patriotic block. It’s a little too puckery for my liking so I’m going to try a different hooping strategy today and see if I can’t get a smoother block.

I can relate to needing to find a new normal Ginny. My dh works from home a lot more than he used to and it throws me off my routine. I’ve ended up asking him to help me cut and square, that way we are both quilting! Lol. He complains and grumbles about it but really I think he enjoys it. I let him put his Star Trek tv shows on the tv in the sewing room and he always likes seeing what we made when I finish sewing together the pieces.

JCY
March 9th, 2019, 02:33 PM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ Just now getting here. A busy morning, with DH's medical procedure, making his salads, & cooking up a pot of his Anasazi beans. They'll be ready to dish up into the freezer containers shortly.

Mixed feelings as I learned my friend who lived at the asst'd. living place here, then moved to ID to be closer to her dau. last fall, passed away Thurs. She'd been in the hosp. with pneumonia & some heart problems. Then moved to a NH where she was getting rehab, hoping to get strong enough to go back to her asst'd. living place. But it was not to be. Things declined; she died in the ER at the hosp. Thurs. at 5 p.m. She recently had some cardiac tests that revealed she had 2 heart valves that were not working well. She was ready & wanting to go to Heaven, so I can't feel too bad. Just another of my friends who has passed on. The older one gets, the more friends one loses.

I had a good sewing time yest. -- finally. I finished trimming all those 2.5" HSTs, plus made a few more. With Jenny's quilt block printed out so I could keep checking placement, I laid out the Antique Lace block using all those HSTs. Since I was using scrappy fabrics, I had to keep double checking to make sure I had them turned the right direction. I'm just OCD enough that the colors had to be balanced. The same fabric/colors in the center pinwheel, in all 4 corners, etc. The block is not difficult -- just tedious & time consuming to piece all those HSTs together. Planning ahead with the pressing of seams, I was able to nest all the seams. By the time I quit for the day, I had the block 2/3 sewn together. So a good feeling of accomplishment to finally get something done. Since my HSTs were smaller than Jenny's pattern called for, my block will be 16.5", not 20". I think it's going to look good. I wore my wrist splint most of the time, so I don't sense any adverse effects from my work.

This afternoon I plan to attend a 60th wedding anniversary open house at our church. Many folks don't make it to 50, let alone 60 years.

Our weather today is sunny & mild, but windy. It's snowing more in the mts. Such extreme avalanche danger with all these heavy snows. Great skiing weather if a person can navigate the hazards of driving up there. Several mt. passes were closed yest. as crews worked to clear snow & debris from slides. Not just snow comes down, but trees, rocks, etc.

Well, I need to get on with my day.

pcbatiks
March 9th, 2019, 03:00 PM
Suzanne, could you share your recipe for meatloaf cheese muffins? Sounds interesting.

I had a few days of allergies (I think) bothering me. Yellow pollen every where!

Feeling lazy today but hoping to sew some this afternoon! :D

chelea
March 9th, 2019, 05:05 PM
Monique, we had a tea party for our 6 year old DGD last summer. We had everyone dress up in my old costume jewelry and hats and even my 30 year old DS did the same. There were 6 of us and I used my MIL's mis-matched china cups, my grandmother's silverware and we enjoyed tea and cupcakes on a fancy cake plate. You should have seen the look on DGD's face...she loves drama so had a great time.
On another note, hubs gave his notice that he's retiring in a couple of months. Hope we don't get in each other's way and my sewing time won't be affected. He's a nervous Nelly and can't sit still and I'm just the opposite. Summertime will be fine because he plays golf, has a veggie garden and we have a lot of grass to mow. I'm very concerned about the winter and he's a little worried about it too. Says he might get a part time job or volunteer with the veterans.
I finished my February Secret Santa gift and today I'll work on the Blockheads appliqué block.
Have a peaceful day everyone.

JCY
March 9th, 2019, 08:23 PM
Michele ~ If your DH doesn't have a hobby, he needs to get one. Especially something to do in the winter mos. when he can't golf or garden. I'm sure you'll figure out a workable plan so you don't get in each other's hair. Just don't let him vegetate. There certainly are a lot of volunteer opportunities in most communities. Maybe check with your local senior center, if you have one.

grammaterry
March 9th, 2019, 09:39 PM
My DH is so busy that I feel guilty if I'm not doing something constructive. He forges, moves dirt, fixes stuff, and sometimes it drives me nuts that he won't just relax. But, I rarely see him in the daytime and at night he falls asleep in his chair right after dinner.
If I don't have a work project, then I sew. Today I made some more blocks, scraped the paint off the front porch steps to get ready to redo them when the weather breaks, sewed somemore, and then came in and cleaned house before I made dinner. I hate cleaning in the late afternoon. It will just need done again tomorrow.
Good morning everyone. Terry, I am certainly in need of motivation. I haven't been in my sewing room for days! I plan to every day but I never get there. I think having the hubs home all day, every day is the issue. I feel like I need to make sure he has something to keep him occupied and then it usually involves me doing something with him. Things need to change. I am getting cranky. I think another part of it is that I am not getting up early enough now (used to be up by 6). Then I work on laundry or other household stuff, do things with hubby and then before you know it, it's almost evening. Yup, I need to change some things. After I retired I got into a good routine that included sewing room time. Throw another retiree into the mix and there goes my "new normal". I guess I need to work on a "newer" normal.

Monique, Have fun with Maizyn. I hope you get to have your tea party.

Ok, it's time to get this day going. I will get my "new normal" mojo working. Thanks ladies; good talk. :icon_wave: Have a great day all.

KarenC
March 9th, 2019, 10:19 PM
Good evening everyone. I thought I had posted earlier this morning, but when I opened the laptop this evening, there was my post, well not really because I had never hit post. Anyway, I found my motivation early today with a 4 mile walk with my girlfriends. Everyone had plans early today, so no breakfast afterwards. The bulk of the day I spent at the LQS selling raffle tickets for the guild's raffle quilt. It's a really nice quilt, but 2 of us sitting there for 7 hours and we sold 9 tickets! At least they had a good day yesterday. Stopped at Lowe's on my way home to pick up some top soil to fill in some ruts in my front yard made by the wonderful contractors building down the street. At least I think they are working on the last house for this street. Yay! Started yardwork for an hour and a half, but there is lots more remaining for tomorrow. I think there is only a small chance of rain.

Hope everyone had a good day today.