PDA

View Full Version : Monday hellos

Monique
March 4th, 2019, 08:20 AM
Good morning friends. We had a bit of snow last night, maybe a couple of inches. It looks fluffy though. I had another quiet day yesterday, working on a quilt. It is basically a rail fence. I don't know how I can get the rows so turned around at times. The seam ripper is getting good use.

Today starts a week of work/quilting. I will be continuing on the butterfly quilt. It needs to be finished by April. Maizyn has her school break next week so she will be coming here for the week. Not sure what we will do. In the last two weeks there have been a couple of sudden deaths from heart attacks. And very young people, younger than me. While I didn't personally know them I do know of them. So sad for the family.

Well I better get my keester in gear. Have a great day everyone.

Star lover
March 4th, 2019, 08:25 AM
Good morning friends.

Monique, I hate having such a close relationship with the seam ripper...... it’s a necessary evil. Hope your rows go together better for you today. So happy you’ll have a visit from Maizyn soon!

Yup, snow here too......a too familiar sight, with no end in sight either. Spring is about 2-1/2 weeks away! So ready for the real deal!

Hope everyone has a great start to the week. Stay warm, safe and enjoy what ya can!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 4th, 2019, 10:09 AM
Good morning,
Woke up to a light dusting of snow. I don't mind this, in comparison to the heavy snowfalls and strong winds the east coast has been getting. Also saw there has been tornadoes & deaths in Alabama; flooding in Tennesee & California. Winter is not giving up easy.

Sunday, i worked in sewing room, and put up a magnetic board and moved frames around. I also put away some new fabrics I got a few weeks ago. I also used my ripper. One morning at the retreat I decided to sew some triangles together. I forgot to adjust my 1/4" to scant one. Lesson learned. Don't operate sewing machine before I've had at least 2 cups of coffee.

I also went over to my DD to watch the two youngest GKs. They set up a bed frame with foot bench in oldest's room, while he was at a birthday party. She got a call to pick him up early as another kid was sick everywhere. She was furious as that kid was also sick at school on Friday, yet the parent continued to expose other kids. She stripped Max of his clothes and gave him a bath. Then the youngest two wanted in, but they had to wait. All in pjs by 5:30, they had a pyjama dinner in front of TV. It was enjoyable to be around them. We did some crafts, and the baby who will be 2 in 10 days really loves to play hockey. He's pretty good.

Today is Victoria quilt group. I will be pressing and cutting kits for next month, as we have many women sewing, and will need an extra cutter. I didn't want to drag out all my sewing gear after getting it set back up. I might pull out a small Pfaff I picked up a year ago. It might be easier to use at this group. I will pick up some food while at the Superstore. We sew in a room above. It has beautiful cathedral shaped windows. Very inspiring.

Have a good day. Be safe wherever you are, as winter's fury is not done with us.

JCY
March 4th, 2019, 10:10 AM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ Brrr! Another chilly morning. Our thermometer reads 0. The weather web site says -5. After a sunny morning yest., we had more flurries in the afternoon--maybe another 1/2" of snow. I had a quiet day at home. I cooked up apples for sauce, worked on my Bible study lesson.

Great news! DS#2 is moving to Colorado this month! We had a long chat last night. He met this gal on line in Aug. He met her in person when he visited us in Nov. They've been in constant touch, doing Bible studies together, continuing the relationship long distance. Now he plans to move to her city, find work here, etc. He is busy sorting, packing, etc. He'll drive a rental truck. He plans to leave the 22nd. His apt. lease is up in April. I'm so looking forward to having a family member in Colorado. It's been just the 2 of us for years. Praying everything will work out for him & he can find a job soon. He'll also need to buy a car. He's lived without a car for years. He used to ride his bike to/from work until it got stolen. Then he depended on public transportation. Now he lives close enough to his current job to walk. It will be a big transition for him. He's been in Sumner for 20 yrs.

Today I have a 6 mo. check-up with my fam. dr. I'll have my A1C done. After lunch, I'll be getting a much needed massage. I never made it to the sewing room yest. Maybe today.

KPH
March 4th, 2019, 10:55 AM
Good Morning All,

I haven't heard from Jim yet, so I'm not sure if they'll be over this morning or not. I've got a busy day with/without them. The bug guy called yesterday. He'll be dropping by around lunch. The trim for the last two windows is going to be installed this afternoon. The lady from VERC (Vision Education and Rehabilitation Center) is supposed to call today. Then, will there or won't there be family dinner since Jim's on spring break?

I have 15 garden star blocks to finish before starting to worry about the sashings. Mike and I kind of tag team. He's good at arranging blocks and while I sew, he'll get the next block ready. It makes the whole process a lot quicker since I don't have room in my sewing room to lay anything out.

They admitted Gracie to the hospital over the weekend. Her neuologist was AWOL and she was having more seizures. She's at Brenner's in Winston Salem and they've run more tests and are working with her family to figure this all out. The fabric I ordered has shipped, so I'm crossing my fingers FexEx Surepost won't send it all over the country before it gets here. I guess I should have paid the extra to get it quicker... hindsight.

Time to get started doing something productive!

Prayers for those in need for healing, strength, comfort, wisdom, and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings (and not moving to Alaska).

chelea
March 4th, 2019, 12:38 PM
Good morning everyone. We got at least 12" of snow overnight. Looks beautiful but enough already! Hubs had to snowblow his way out of the garage to dig out before going to work. The drifts against the garage doors were almost 2 feet deep.
So today it is going to be lentil soup for supper and I'm going to try a new recipe for an onion tart. I'll share the recipe if it turns out good.
We were away on vaca last week so I was antsy to get back to sewing. I got the Blockheads block done but then ran out of energy. Must have been jet lag.
A little housework is on the agenda then it's sew time!
Hope you all have a peaceful day.

BarbaraB
March 4th, 2019, 01:17 PM
Hello everyone,
We got lucky with the storm yesterday, only got about 5", but it's what's under the new snow that's nasty....very icy and slippery. When I had the dog out this morning I slipped and went down. Yuk, I hate snow going up my sleeves.
Last week I finished quilt #4 from my UFO stash. It's been delivered and I'm working on #5. It's my first attempt at a log cabin and the blocks are finished and awaiting a little trim. They're far from perfect, but overall I'm pleased.
Hubby has volunteered to cook dinner tonight, so I can keep sewing and planning the block layout. I have one consuming question.....where was this drive and motivation when I worked on these quilts the first time???????
Hope everyone has a good day. Stay safe.

PamelaOry
March 4th, 2019, 04:04 PM
Good morning/afternoon All.
Whew! I had a busy weekend. Spent all day Saturday shop hopping and yesterday my mom came over to use my go big cutter. She stayed for Sunday night dinner and got to see the kids, even Nolan FaceTimed in from NY. Today hubby and I are going to hit the last 2 shops for the shop hop and I’m doing more blocks for the block exchange I’m in.

We’re on the home stretch for finding out who our secret santee is going to be, I’m excited to find out! Thanks Carly for all you do to coordinate.

baslp
March 4th, 2019, 04:04 PM
Good afternoon. A busy morning with my work out and then a little shopping w my DD Who is off this week. I did finish binding my large quilt yesterday. Now I want to start a table runner. I have the bundle of fabric but I can’t find the pattern that came with it. I am going to call the shop where I bought it to see if I can buy another one.

Have a good rest of the day.
Beth

MissMay in Jersey
March 4th, 2019, 04:06 PM
3 inches od snow overnight and very icy this am which cancelled the 3rd lunch and/or visit the past week or so. It was really dark out this morning, a nice day to snuggle under a quilt and read or watch an old movie on TV. Didn't happen for me this time as the Big Bright Sun has popped up so instead I'm catching up with paper work, phone calls, etc.

Check this out. 157998
Are half slips making a comeback? We "older gals" remember them.

Bubby
March 4th, 2019, 04:33 PM
Good morning friends.

Monique, I hate having such a close relationship with the seam ripper...... it’s a necessary evil. Hope your rows go together better for you today. So happy you’ll have a visit from Maizyn soon!

Yup, snow here too......a too familiar sight, with no end in sight either. Spring is about 2-1/2 weeks away! So ready for the real deal!

Hope everyone has a great start to the week. Stay warm, safe and enjoy what ya can!

That's a Westie for you....this one looks so much like our Maggie.

Bubby
March 4th, 2019, 04:44 PM
Hi Everyone...I'm dragging today and wish I could have stayed in bed all day. It's about 12 degrees at the moment and the wind is whipping around. I took the Girls out twice and nearly froze. Will Winter ever leave? I feel terrible about the tornadoes in Alabama where 24 were killed in the same county.

I have enough blocks made for the wedding quit and Jeff wants to help me lay the blocks out. That will be a fun project for us to do together. I called my quilter to see if she is still quilting...she is, thankfully. She wondered what had happened to me. I will try to keep her busy now that I'm starting to feel better.

That's it for me for now. I need to start a pot of spaghetti for dinner tonight and see if I have enough greens to make a salad.

Wishing everyone a great day....Hugs, Barb

Carol336
March 4th, 2019, 06:11 PM
Good afternoon all. I was up and out early this morning. I had to have a chest ex-ray and that completes all the pre-op stuff - thank goodness. On Friday I had my pre-op exam with my family dr. I had to have blood work, but the phlebotomist in her office stuck me twice without success so I then had to go to a lab for the blood draw....lousy veins have been a problem for me all my life.

After the ex-ray - I was off to the dentist to have a tooth extraction - which was just a ton of fun. It was actually scheduled for the day after I was diagnosed with breast cancer but I was in no shape to have it done then.

Had a call from our 16yo DGD last night. A dear friend of hers committed suicide, just 16, so sad. Of course she is distraught. She was the last person he spoke to, so the police came to their house to talk to her. How do you explain something like this to her when you don't even understand it yourself.

Thanks again everyone for the prayers and cards.....it brings me such comfort.

Thought and prayers for all in need.

grammaterry
March 4th, 2019, 08:36 PM
Carol, there is no explanation to suicide. You can only tell her how proud you ar e of her and know that she offered him all the friendship possible.
I thought sure I had posted here this morning. But, alas, I must have moved on.
I spent most of the day in the sewing room making fabric. Yep, sewing black and white pieces together trying to make some yardage from it. I may have enough by tomorrow. Amazing how long that takes.
DH went to Asheville to be with his brother while the pacemaker was installed. All went well. I'll go visit in a day or two.
Joy, how exciting for you to have DS come back to Colorado. Will he be close?
I spoke with my DS today and he sounded a little depressed. Said he was okay I didn't press.
Tried to call my mother today and she answered but couldn't hear me. I called back and there was someone with her helping her wash her face and hands. I haven't seen her for so long its hard for me to realize she can't do those things for herself.

JCY
March 4th, 2019, 11:26 PM
Terry ~ DS will be about 35 mi. away. In good traffic & weather, it's about a 50 min. drive. I'm excited to have him move here. I'm also excited for him to have finally met a special person with whom he hopefully will be able to share the rest of his life. He's been single for 20 yrs. & lived alone. They seem to have a lot of common interests.