PDA

View Full Version : Alaska is off the table

KPH
March 3rd, 2019, 03:01 PM
On the way home, my logical, analytical son told me that he's pretty sure a move to Alaska is off the table.

Jim and Morgan bought their house right before we moved to FL. Where we took the money from one house and paid for our house here, they're in debt! They've bought a water softening system and solar panels which have added considerably to their debt, not to mention furniture and other fixer upper stuff.

Anyway, there would have to be a huge signing bonus, as well as, all moving expenses, and something for a down payment.

Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers on this matter. I knew, sooner or later, he'd figure it out.

MaggieSue
March 3rd, 2019, 04:06 PM
So glad common sense prevailed. That has to be a big relief for you! The power of prayer!!!

KPH
March 3rd, 2019, 04:49 PM
One thing it did do is make me realize there's still a lot of stuff in this house that I can get rid of. lol, but if I'm not moving... it can wait until I go out toes up and then it's someone else's problem. ;-)

KarenC
March 3rd, 2019, 06:18 PM
I knew that reality would prevail sooner or later. Glad you don't have to worry about it any longer.

grammaterry
March 3rd, 2019, 07:36 PM
Sometimes young people just have to have their dreams. If they are in debt, it may have seemed like a way out. They are probably just overwhelmed. I remember being young once. ha ha

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 5th, 2019, 08:11 PM
I'm happy common sense has prevailed.

auntstuff
March 5th, 2019, 09:02 PM
I have a school friend who lives in Alaska. She says its pretty expensive to live there.

nativetexan
March 5th, 2019, 10:18 PM
Oh my son does not have the same reverence for money in the Bank that i do. shame but what are you going to do? It is his life. I hope to leave him this house and some money, but after that he is on his own. He will make it, just differently than I would have I think. Hope your son figures it all out. He has a good role model.

KPH
March 6th, 2019, 10:01 AM
Oh my son does not have the same reverence for money in the Bank that i do. shame but what are you going to do? It is his life. I hope to leave him this house and some money, but after that he is on his own. He will make it, just differently than I would have I think. Hope your son figures it all out. He has a good role model.

The hardest thing to do is to step back and let your child make their own decisions. I knew the decision to move was a knee jerk reaction to what was happening at his work. I'm just glad his thinking brain clicked on. If anything would do it, it would be the money! He doesn't like being in debt and they're working hard to pay extra on the house, and solar to pay them off sooner rather than the 30 years.

Second thing, he realized with three kids, they are going to start costing more, and there's no room for growth in his pay check where he's working now, especially since they want to cut his hours to reduce his stress (and his paycheck- so you guessed it - more stress).

Jim will land on his feet. He's has a few things that he's interested in and all have room for him to grow. So, we'll see what he finally ends up with, I'm just thankful that it won't involve me moving!