PDA

View Full Version : 1st Saturday of March

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 2nd, 2019, 11:20 AM
March has arrived like a lamb for us. The lion can stay away.

Yesterday we drove home from the retreat after lunch. It was a fun filled week. I made 25 kindred pinwheels blocks, a few pillowcases and some mug rugs with a train fabric for DH. He loved them. I did not get to my other two projects. I guess I was over ambitious. Live and learn, my first sleep over retreat. Food was good. The place is very nice, clean with lots of sewing space with lots of windows overlooking the snow covered lake. Lots of good memories and meeting many quilters. We stopped at 2 quilt stores and I got some HQ bobbins and another gadget. It's a small store that carries beautiful fabrics at reasonable price, but I have more than enough. At the other store, my GF picked up some NHL licensed Pittsburg Penguin cotton fabric to make him a quilt. Next door was a fabulous bakery, where we had coffee and picked up some baked goods for our DHs. After I dropped her off and unloaded all my stuff at home, DH brought me out for dinner. I was craving chicken as there was none on the menu this week. Our meals mostly had pork or beef. I guess next time, I would bring my chicken dish.

It was nice to sleep in my own bed. Today I will have to go see my mom. Even though she was reminded I was away, she called Tues & We'd. She sounds very congested, but clearly they did not call my daughter to let her know.

Monique, I hope your thumb heals fast, and thinking of everyone who is having health, family health issues.
Katrina- let their dream pass you by. Send them here for a few weeks. I'm certain they would enjoy Alaska in the summer, but not in the winter.

Enjoy your day. Be safe. Stay warm and stay n dry land.

JCY
March 2nd, 2019, 11:51 AM
Good Snowy Morning from Colorado ~ It's snowing steadily & accumulating quickly. There must be 2" or more on the picnic table already. From now till tomorrow a.m. they're predicting up to 8". I had planned to go to the quilt show today, but I'm staying in. Instead I'm making DH's chicken soup. The 6.5 lb. chicken & 1 pkg. of legs are on to cook. I just thoroughly cleaned the sinks & counter where I'd worked on the chicken & changed all the towels. I did the veg. prep. last night. So my morning will be spent in the kitchen today.

Maybe I'll get to the sewing room later today. I'm looking forward to getting back at it. My hand is feeling better each day, so maybe I've turned a corner. I don't expect the numbness & tingling to go away any time soon. I lived with it months prior to the surgery, so I guess I can continue to live with it a while longer.

DS#1 called yest. p.m. & we had a good chat. He lives in MD & works in D.C. They had some bad weather, so he worked from home. It's nice he has the option to do that. There were many accidents on the beltway & in the area. People just drive too fast for the conditions.

I've been re-reading some of my Marta Perry books. I find it hard to put down her books. I have a book going all the time. I read while I eat, during TV commercials, etc. I think I read 175 books last year.

Well, I'm hungry, so I better eat breakfast while I can. It will soon be time to cook the rice.

KarenC
March 2nd, 2019, 12:26 PM
Good morning everyone. Well it is supposed to be warm today and temps drop tomorrow. Since it was a misty rain this morning, my GF and I decided to skip our walk and go straight to breakfast, so I was home early this morning. Since the weather is supposed to get colder, I think I will make a gumbo. Need to start that early tomorrow morning, since I will be in and out all day today. This is very unusual for me to go this long without making a good chicken and andouille gumbo. I'm missing it.

Spoke with another friend last night, who works for the school district. She turned in her papers to retire in June. She turned 70 this year, so I think she is definitely ready. Going to have dinner with her this evening. Will be good to catch up with each other.

Now waiting for DD to show up with the baby, the we're (me and the baby) off to meet a friend at a local quilt show about 30 minutes away. It's not that far, but with the stop signs and lights, I always allow a minimum of 30 minutes. Took my knives out so I hopefully remember to bring them to the scissors guy at the show to have them sharpened, while we browse. I stopped in yesterday to browse the vendors, since I knew I would have baby today.

Katrina, Alaska is nice in the summer but brutal in the winter, and the winters there are longer also. I doubt that your DS and DIL would last. I definitely would not sell me house and move up there very quickly.
Joy - I wasn't familiar with this author, just took a peek at her website. I think I'll go check out the library's online site to see if they have any of them. I need to make a visit there anyway.
Suzanne, glad you had a great retreat. Nothing wrong with coming home with a few projects not complete. Sounds like you had a good time and got some projects accomplished.

Praying for those in need and wishing all a great weekend.

baslp
March 2nd, 2019, 12:34 PM
Good morning. We had a nice dinner with my DS. He is flying to New Orleans to visit a friend for a few days. I need to ewsthe binding on 2 projects. I wish I had a bigger space to lay out my big quilts . It is difficult to manage it as I sew.
Joy— I read a lot of cozy mystery books that also have a hobby or profession component. I usually read while I am on the excercise bike.
Suzanne— sounds like you had a really nice and productive retreat. How often does this group get together?

Have a good day.
Beth

baslp
March 2nd, 2019, 12:35 PM
Karen— can you share your recipe for gumbo.
Thanks
Beth

Ginny B
March 2nd, 2019, 12:35 PM
Good morning. We got a bit of snow last night and this morning. Unlike the last couple of storms that came through, this snow will need tending to. A bit of shoveling and clearing off the cars. We will head over to my sister's place a bit later and bring some basic groceries and clear off their car too. They get back from Costa Rica on Monday night. know there will be more snow before they get home, but I didn't want this snow to sort of freeze to the car and then have the snow we are getting starting tomorrow to sit on top of it.

Not sure what else will be on the agenda today but I am going to try and spend some time in my sewing room.

Have a good day all. Keep warm and safe.

MissMay in Jersey
March 2nd, 2019, 01:28 PM
Snow cancelled today's visit from DGD, her upstate area received much more than the 2-3 inches we received. If we receive addition snow this weekend it might cancel Monday's lunch with the girls. I have plenty to do indoors to keep me busy, top of the list is to pick out some boy fabrics for a DGD's foster child. It's too soon to decide but they are open to adopt. Whatever happens a boy could always use a quilt to snuggle in. With 8 great grandsons I have plenty of leftover boy fabrics from their quilts to make this 5 year old a quilt.

KPH
March 2nd, 2019, 03:15 PM
Good Afternoon All,

I have no idea what those kids are going to do. I left my ties to NC to come be a help here for Jim and his family. I have no ties here, that's for sure. Mike isn't keen on moving again. It's like Jim's on a swing... one minute it's a good idea, next it's what are we thinking? So, I'm just pointing out lots of things about selling a house that he hasn't lived through yet. Things about moving (with lots of kid stuff), moving away from their Perfect Baby Sitters (for free, no less) Nana and Nandy. There are a lot of things they haven't thought of yet. I keep praying for guidance. So far, that guidance seems to be giving me lots of hints of why not to go. I'll just keep praying that Howard will come and put some hauntin' on Jim, because one of the reasons we moved down here, was they promised NOT to move away from Jax.

Anyway, Jim brought the kids over this morning. He worked on grading on one side of the dining room table and I worked on finishing up the row of hexies I started on yesterday. I have the four patches done to finish making the garden star blocks. I'm not sure if I want to work on them or putting the last row of hexies on that quilt. I'm ready to finish something! Since it's raining, it's a good day to get something positive done!

It's a good thing I've gotten ahead on my Secret Santa stuff. Aunt Jean's GGD, 16, just started having seizures out of the blue. This is the same family that has a GD that has had two brain surgeries because of nonmalignant tumors. It just makes you wonder, they both live in the same area, same gene pool. Anyway, I've ordered a jelly roll to make Gracie a quilt. I'm thinking Phoebe's Flower Box is quick and easy to pull together. The colors I was told were coral, aqua, and gray, so I picked a batik that had a lot of those bright colors.

Not much else going on around here. Keep praying that God's will be done with these two impetuous kid's lives. Hopefully, I won't have to go along for the ride. I like the idea of keeping this house, but renting it from across the country sounds over whelming, too.

Prayers for those in need for healing touches, strength, comfort, wisdom, guidance, and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

MSN
March 2nd, 2019, 03:33 PM
Katrina,

Sounds mighty presumptuous to me that your son and DIL would just expect you to up and move to Alaska to make their lives easier. What about you and what you want? Just say NO!

BTW, if the reason they think Alaska is so wonderful is because the salary is good, be sure to check out the cost of living. And nine months of winter. . . .

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 2nd, 2019, 06:12 PM

Suzanne— sounds like you had a really nice and productive retreat. How often does this group get together?

Beth

It was great Beth. The organizer of this group does it 4-6 times a year. But some of the people there were there with another group the week before, so there 2 weeks quilting. The owners rent out to quilting, sewing, crochet & knitting, scrapbooking, lace making making groups. Mostly rent to women. They do have a group where the men are train enthusiasts and their wives either come to quilt, sew, crochet or just relax/read. It was once a lodge, but has been refurbished to accommodate groups. More like 2 double beds per room, a few with Queen & King rooms. Shared bathroom, but each bedroom has a sink. Although I was invited to a May/June group, I have other plans and don't want to be there at bug season. I think I would enjoy going in the Fall, when the leaves are changing. It would be nice for walks, and it would be cooler. There is no A/C.

KPH
March 2nd, 2019, 06:32 PM
Katrina,

Sounds mighty presumptuous to me that your son and DIL would just expect you to up and move to Alaska to make their lives easier. What about you and what you want? Just say NO!

BTW, if the reason they think Alaska is so wonderful is because the salary is good, be sure to check out the cost of living. And nine months of winter. . . .

LOL, Holy cow, living with me wouldn't make their life easier! That's for sure! Jim and Morgan decided (even before Howard and I moved down here) that they're going to take care of me when I'm old and gray (getting closer to that every day). I've told Jim, I had to have my own place. I'm not ready to live with them yet. Heavens! I couldn't take it! They are way too messy for me, with 3 kids under 7 and a dog, two full time workers, I know why things pile up but I'm not going to be their maid.

They have not broached this with Nana and Nandy yet. I'm not telling them!