PDA

View Full Version : Friday hellos

Monique
March 1st, 2019, 08:30 AM

It is the last day of the week but the first day of a brand new month!! March is coming in like a lamb. I hope it doesn't go out like a lion.

Good morning everyone. I kept myself busy yesterday in the sewing room. I have a quilt in the works, so I am now cutting my strips into smaller pieces. It is a boring long job. Getting there, just a few more strips to cut up and then I can start to sew them together. I also got a baby quilt ready for today. I am working this afternoon so I can take this baby quilt with me.

I work all next week so I will be taking the butterfly quilt with me as it needs to be finished sooner rather than later.

The gash on my thumb is about an 1" long. I did dishes with a glove on yesterday. It is not as deep as I thought but in a very awkward place, closer to the bottom of the thumb. You don't realize how much you use the thumb.

So a work afternoon/quilting afternoon for me. Not sure what the weekend will bring yet.

Have a great day and great weekend friends. See you all at Laura's for coffee and cookies, lol!!

Star lover
March 1st, 2019, 08:43 AM
Mornin all!

Yup.....I DIG IT! Hope you can hear me......might be difficult......Iím on my way to Lauraís and warmer weather! (......I wish!)
Hope your thumb heals quickly......I hate when that happens......always seems to be in the worse spot too!

March is going to come in like a lion.....storms starting tomorrow.......Iím camping on that March will at least go out like a lamb.....if the old adage is true!

Got the entire top body done on a quilt yesterday.....now onto the pieced border.....thatís the plan for today.

Thankful Joyís hand is OK. Praying for many........so much sadness, struggles, health, weather (worse than me).
Happy for new stoves, retreats, nice weather and some doing better.

Love and hugs for all!

Monique
March 1st, 2019, 08:49 AM
Anita, I hear ya!!

baslp
March 1st, 2019, 08:50 AM
Good morning. We are waking up to 2 in of snow. Just enough that we have to shovel and clean off our cars. Hopefully my DH will have time to do this for me before he leaves for work. I am working out this morning and then waiting for the plumber this afternoon. I should be able to get the binding finished on my wall hanging.

Monique—what time does your post office close. Ours closes at 4:30 and some days our mail does not get delivered until 5:30. I feel for our mail carrier— some afternoons she is wearing a head band flash light.

Have a good day
Beth

Monique
March 1st, 2019, 08:54 AM
Good morning. We are waking up to 2 in of snow. Just enough that we have to shovel and clean off our cars. Hopefully my DH will have time to do this for me before he leaves for work. I am working out this morning and then waiting for the plumber this afternoon. I should be able to get the binding finished on my wall hanging.

Monique—what time does your post office close. Ours closes at 4:30 and some days our mail does not get delivered until 5:30. I feel for our mail carrier— some afternoons she is wearing a head band flash light.

Have a good day
Beth

I am working until 5pm.

Carol336
March 1st, 2019, 08:54 AM
Good morning Monique and all who follow. Woke up to a lovely blanket of snow this morning. We had a winter storm warning in effect from 10pm last night till 10am this morning. School is on a 2 hour delayed opening. And I have an appoint with my GP for my surgical exam and blood work. Oh boy....DH is cleaning off the cars and will drive me there.....he's so handy to have around - LOL!

To keep my mind occupied and off my woes, I have been busy making sewing machine pad organizers to give to all the ladies at the retreat I'm attending in April. (my surgery date is March 15th, so I should be good to go in plenty of time) They are fairly easy to make but they will actually made for a Circut machine. I guess you could put a sewing machine on them too if you wanted, but I'm going with a group of Scrapbookers and they all have a Circut. I was trying to find Scrapbook related fabric, but I have to make 9 of those puppies and they take (2) 1/2 yard pieces of fabric plus batting and binding and I couldn't find any fabric for less than 10.00 a yard....so I shopped my stash and came up with some great combinations. I'll post some pics when they're all done.

Well I better drag this body into the shower and get my day started. Couldn't have coffee so I hope I can be civil to DH on the drive to the dr - LOL.
Have a blessed day everyone

PamelaOry
March 1st, 2019, 08:56 AM
Good morning All.

I’m up “early” again. :). The meds the doc gave me for my back made me sleep all day so now I’m not tired.

Today is the start of a shop hop in my area and they are giving away 12 inch block kits so I’m planning to do it. Hubby said he would drive me around Saturday. Today, I’m going to go to Jannilous, the store down the street. I’m in a 12 inch block exchange so I want the patterns, I haven’t figured out how to design my own blocks yet.

Taxes and bills are on my list today as well, because I didn’t do them yesterday. Blah.

Hope everyone has a freakin’ fabulous Friday!

KPH
March 1st, 2019, 09:55 AM
Good Morning All,

I guess my week with no kids at all is coming to an end. Hate to say it but it's been nice being able to sew when I want, and do what I want when I want to and do nothing when I want to as well. Hopefully they'll all be healthy by Monday.

Jim called on his way home from work yesterday. First to find out if I had Jonathan, then to talk out some stuff. What shocked me the most... How would you feel about moving to Alaska? My blurt, there was no controlling it... Are you frickin' kidding me? Then he started explaining. Morgan found a listing for an ER nurse in Alaska and with the challenges he's been having at work (cutting hours, etc) he told her to apply. Now, Morgan is a FL girl, she didn't even like winter in NC... what the heck is he thinking? I think it's a pipe dream. I don't think Nana and Nandy will allow them to take the children that far away! As for me, I moved to be closer to them. The agreement we made before we moved down to FL, was they weren't going to move away. I don't want to have to move again! So that was my shocker for the day. They've never had to sell a house. I'm certainly not ready to go through that stress again!

I didn't work too much yesterday. We did get the circus tickets from the Shriners and found out about the Chinese Lantern Festival they'll be hosting from March to May. They'll be really busy over there. The Greek Festival was last weekend.

Not sure what's on the agenda today, but I thinking it would be easier to work on the hexie quilt if it was on the dining room table. I guess, I'll be cleaning it off to work on that. I think I'll be alternating between three projects, Garden star, hexie and April door hanging. My sewing room looks like a hurricane hit it. lol

Prayers for those in need for healing, comfort, strength, wisdom, and comfort. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
March 1st, 2019, 10:03 AM
Good morning ladies,

I woke up early with a leg cramp, and was up by 7am. We have added Baileys to our morning coffee. This is the last day of retreat, and we've been waking up to beautiful sunny mornings overlooking the frozen lake.

Last night, Dorothy & I made dinner. We made Waikiki meatballs with pineapple, basmati rice, grilled beets, butternut squash and bell peppers. For dessert, we had pineapple slices with maple marshmallows which we toasted on my table firepit. Also served ginger orange cookies, mint chocolate cookies, sucre a creme. We decorated with paper flowers, and paper tiki lanterns.

I made some mug rugs, 2 pillowcases and got another 7-8 blocks done. They are taking long than I thought. I didn't get to work on the other projects I planned but I've had lots of fun.

Thinking of everyone who are having struggles with health. Have a good day. Be safe. Have a good weekend.

157930. 157931

BethB
March 1st, 2019, 10:33 AM
Woke up to close to 5" of snow this morning --- weatherman said a coating to 3". And, although light, it is still snowing --- ugh!! Supposedly, 2 more storms are coming throughout the weekend --- ugh! ugh!!! Guess will just have to wait and see what Mother Nature brings.

Haven't done a lot of sewing lately. This is a tough time for me right now. March 1 of last year was the day my husband went into the hospital. Also, I am waiting for the results of my sestimibi scan from Monday. My official drs. appt. isn't until March 22, but I was hoping the results would be posted into the UPMC portal. I may call the drs. office and see if I can get an appt. sooner than the 22nd. This is driving me nuts not knowing the results.

Other than cleaning the house and/or watching the snow, I won't be doing much else today. I do have another reading pocket pillow to make for my sister. Maybe I will work on that today.

Carol -- Hope everything goes well with your dr. appt. and upcoming surgery. Stay positive!!!
Katrina -- Hope you don't have to move -- what a difference between Florida and Alaska!
Monique -- Hope your thumb is good as new soon. Having a cut in a much used spot is always the worst!
Suzanne -- I have enjoyed seeing the couple of pics from your retreat experience. Looks like a great time is being had by all!!!

Time to take the dog out again. One of these days I am going to get one of those extending leashes so, hopefully, I can stand on the porch and he can go out into the backyard by himself.

Have a great, safe and great weekend.

Nancy

grammaterry
March 1st, 2019, 11:09 AM
Alaska , huh? The dreams of the young. I remember when DH thought moving to Alaska would be the end all to end all. We didn't. Now he doesn't even care to go look at it which I think would be a nice trip. But a year in Alaska might be just what the kids need...they could rent out their house and you could stay home and sew and I'll bet they'll be back in the year.
The rest of you...sound so busy and fulfilled. Me...I'm getting bored with the weather and hope we are really only 3 weeks from Spring so I can change up my routine. I'd like to go visit the children but I worry about getting caught up in one of those storms. two hundred miles can really make a difference in the weather conditions.
I've been thinking about having two chairs recovered but my goodness, they want $650 each to do them . I don't think I would be happy with my less than perfect results to do them myself. Plus, I brought home fabric samples and I can't imagine them which bothers me. I probably need to make a trip to furniture market to look at new ones. Surely I can find something in that price range.
The retreat menu sounds like it was a fun preparation and the decorations look exciting.
Snow in Pennsylvania....yuk. I'm hoping it misses us.

pcbatiks
March 1st, 2019, 11:09 AM
Good morning everyone! I actually sleep good last night!!! WooHoo!!! :icon_woot: Menopausal sleeplessness is exhausting.....as some of you already know.

I'm off to do some big stitch quilting with our quilting group this morning.

Hope everyone has a great day!

MissMay in Jersey
March 1st, 2019, 11:33 AM
The Lion is slowly creeping in here as we are getting a light snow flurry which I"m hopping is all he's going to do during March paving the way for the Lamb who'll bring us some Spring weather.

I'm joining the aching gals this morning and will pop my pills and some Advil and go lie down after I finish my coffee.

Hope the weather doesn't keep DGD Catherine from visiting tomorrow as she lives in north west Jersey where they usually get lots of snow. We're looking forward to her visit as she's bringing the 5 year old boy her and DH are fostering.

Cathy F
March 1st, 2019, 12:42 PM
Morning all,

We had some flurries this morning but happy to report it has stopped and the snow that came down is gone already.

I have been busy with a fundraiser for our Pilot Club. Members have been dropping off donations all week for our basket raffle and we will be assembling and wrapping them tomorrow morning. I made a head start and have 9 baskets ready to be wrapped. Everything is piled on my living room floor and coffee table with a path to get through. Will be glad to get the house back in order.

I the midst of all this I decided I wanted to sew three blocks together in kits that was given to me by a friend. Why I would start pulling more stuff out on top of the mess my sewing room is in is beyond me. Does anyone else do that?!

Today I need to make a run to the grocery store and pick up a few things to hold us over the weekend so I better get a move on. Wishing all a good weekend!

Joy, glad to hear you got good news from the surgeon. Before long you'll be sewing again.

Katrina, Alaska is beautiful, so pristine but when we we're there we also saw parts that can also be very isolated. Juneau, being the capital is quite populated though.

JCY
March 1st, 2019, 12:47 PM
Good Morning ~ I'm just now having a few min. to sit down, but not for long. The sun is shining this a.m. & it's supposed to hit 50 before the bad weather moves in. Snow & cold this week end. They're predicting 3-6"here, more in Denver. I need to get to the groc. store this a.m. while the weather is good. It's chicken soup time -- again.

I finally got some sewing done yest. afternoon. I worked on those triangle snowball trimmings & chain pieced 90 for HSTs. They're pressed open, but not trimmed yet. I wore my wrist splint, so I don't feel any ill effects from the sewing. It sure felt good to get back in the groove.

Katrina ~ Oh my goodness! Not Alaska! I hope it's a pipe dream that doesn't come to fruition. My DS#1 & DIL lived in Anchorage for 3 yrs. He was in the Air Force. I would not want to live up there. Beautiful in the summer, and nice to visit, but such long, dark, snowy winter days. Depressing. I'll be praying it doesn't happen.

Tomorrow is the Interfaith Quilters annual quilt show/sale. If the weather isn't too bad, I plan to go. I never buy, but I love to look, take pics, & get ideas. Admission is only $5.

Well, I need to get my breakfast & head out to the groc. store.

Mimi_Howard
March 1st, 2019, 08:37 PM
Good Afternoon all. Been awhile since i have checked in with everyone. Got word from my son that daughter's surgery went fine today, he went to be with her since I am in busy with my dad after his amputation. We finally got an answer to his UTI thingy, had him in the ER on superbowl sunday. Finally a positive test result for current condition. YES he still has the UTI, burning is from it not something else and the kind he has does NOT respond well to the antibiotics that were prescribed. Well no CHIT Cherlock, 3 weeks on them (4x a day) and still hanging around. But the bad part is what he has to take now is not friendly with Warfin (blood thinner), so gotta be careful in that dosage for couple of weeks.

His last PT at home was yesterday so now I get to crack the whip on getting him stronger on a regular basis! We have been moving forward slowly but still forward. Hopefully surgeon will release him next week and then we can varoom to the fast lane for prescription and approval for a fake leg.

cv quilter
March 1st, 2019, 08:47 PM
Suzanne, how I love your post. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. It does sound COLD! but you make it sound wonderful. Hope the rest of your time goes well and you arrive home safely. FUN pics.

KPH
March 1st, 2019, 09:29 PM
BIL called, MIL made it through the knee replacement surgery just fine. Now when she's released she'll head to rehab for a few weeks. The surgeon said she'll be thrilled there was so much arthritis in her knee, she won't have that pain anymore.

Other BIL wants her to get over this one and then have the other knee done. If she doesn't have a lot of trouble with this recuperation she probably will run back to get the second done!

Carol336
March 2nd, 2019, 08:55 AM
Good morning ladies,

I woke up early with a leg cramp, and was up by 7am. We have added Baileys to our morning coffee. This is the last day of retreat, and we've been waking up to beautiful sunny mornings overlooking the frozen lake.

Last night, Dorothy & I made dinner. We made Waikiki meatballs with pineapple, basmati rice, grilled beets, butternut squash and bell peppers. For dessert, we had pineapple slices with maple marshmallows which we toasted on my table firepit. Also served ginger orange cookies, mint chocolate cookies, sucre a creme. We decorated with paper flowers, and paper tiki lanterns.

I made some mug rugs, 2 pillowcases and got another 7-8 blocks done. They are taking long than I thought. I didn't get to work on the other projects I planned but I've had lots of fun.

Thinking of everyone who are having struggles with health. Have a good day. Be safe. Have a good weekend.

157930. 157931

It sounds like you are having soooo much fun. And thanks to you I'm buying a bottle of Baileys to take to my retreat in April.....yum.