PDA

View Full Version : BAD REPORT

Carol336
February 22nd, 2019, 09:12 PM
I guess I'm looking for more of your wonderful prayers. I was just diagosed with breast cancer. I can't even believe it as I type it. I'm just stunned. I'm seeing the Oncologist on Tuesday to get the ball rolling with treatment. The worst part is telling my kids. I just got off the phone with my eldest son, I guess it went pretty well. I tried to downplay it, but how do you downplay cancer. I'll be calling my youngest son tomorrow....he's at work tonight and I don't want to tell him while he's working.
I'm just numb.

JaniceR
February 22nd, 2019, 09:23 PM
Carol,
I am so very sorry to hear this news. I know you must be both stunned and afraid. I know I would be too. But the success rate for curing breast cancer in today’s medical world is so encouraging. Hopefully it has been caught very early and treatment will knock it out quickly and this will be behind you soon. Try to stay strong and positive. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Kgrammiecaz
February 22nd, 2019, 09:49 PM
Oh my Carol. So very sorry to hear you have to deal with this, but be strong. Be positive too, that helps with healing they say. I will add plenty of prayers for you and your family. Keep coming here of course!

jjkaiser
February 22nd, 2019, 09:56 PM
Aww I am so sorry to read this, and I know telling your kids will be so awful for them and for you. The outcomes for breast cancer just keep getting better and better so try to be positive. I'm sure someone on the Forum has gone through this or is currently in treatment and maybe she will reach out and give you the kind of support you need right now.

Astatoo
February 22nd, 2019, 09:58 PM
So sorry Carol. Sending (((((((hugs))))))), positive thoughts and prayers.

DeniseSm
February 22nd, 2019, 10:21 PM
Wishing you all the best. To all, please get your mammogram. Early detection is the key to survival.

cv quilter
February 22nd, 2019, 10:43 PM
Carol, bad report, indeed!! I'm sad for you as you try to process this news. Your children and your friends on this Forum will be a big and important support system for you. Rely on all of us. Prayers.

PamelaOry
February 22nd, 2019, 10:55 PM
You’re in my prayers tonight.

MRoy
February 22nd, 2019, 10:59 PM
Sending hugs, prayers, and positive thoughts.

KPH
February 22nd, 2019, 11:27 PM
Lifting prayers and sending virtual hugs. It's so hard to process everything. That numbness is your brain protecting you. Listen carefully, take a note pad with you and write everything down when you go to the doctor. The process of writing will help you focus. Between now and then write down any questions you think of, even the most off the wall things that pop into your head. Ask!

More hugs and lots of love surrounding you and yours.

JCY
February 23rd, 2019, 12:00 AM
Dear Carol ~ So sorry to hear this news. I can only imagine how you must be feeling -- certainly in a state of shock. It will take a while for the news to sink in. There are many on this forum who have been or are dealing with cancer or other illnesses. It's wonderful to know other people care, will listen to your concerns, be supportive, & will be praying for you. We are a caring group here. Know that you're in our thoughts & prayers. God bless.

Granny Judy
February 23rd, 2019, 12:03 AM
I live with my youngest DD and she has been going thru this for the last 2.5 years. Her cancer had spread so treatment is very aggressive and multiple. Listen to your oncologist and nurses. write down questions and concerns to ask them. and remember we are here and there are cancer forums for talking with others who are going thru the same thing as you.

I am a retired nurse and I worked in oncology unit for over 8 years. My main focus is controlling the side effects from the chemo .. each one is different and each person reacts differently. Don't be afraid to use the meds and ask questions. If they say constipation is a side effect.. treat it right away.. keep enemas, suppositories and pills on hand. Nausea should be treated at the first sign. raw feeling in the mouth- keep a solution of baking soda & water in a jar in the refrig.. rinse often. etc.. ""Just IN Case"".. because those side effects will happen in the middle of the night, during holidays and other inconvenient times..

If they say pain happens 2 days after chemo, get pain meds ahead of time and take them when you feel that pain is more than "uncomfortable". It's important to stay ahead/ on top of the pain... And have the cancer care 24 hour a day phone number on speed dial. I guarantee you will use it.

Treatments have improved by leaps and bounds, so you have a great chance of beating this type of cancer.. Yes it is a shock and we have all cried our share of tears and still do, but my lovely daughter is still here and fighting the good fight. No new tumors have been found since her original diagnosis...3 years ago.. she skipped one mammogram, and so it had started and spread in that lapse of testing.

Hugs and prayers for your quick treatment and remission..

Debbie Watters
February 23rd, 2019, 12:17 AM
Prayers for you and your family ...

sewbizzy
February 23rd, 2019, 12:54 AM
Sending prayers for you and your family...

Carlie Wolf
February 23rd, 2019, 12:56 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this Carol. A lot of progress has been made over the years with breast cancer. Several of my relatives have gone through it and have done very well. One branch of the family tree went on to start the organization Breast Intentions and I believe they have branched out to another state. They are in New Jersey.

pcbatiks
February 23rd, 2019, 01:16 AM
Carol, so sorry to hear this. Your forum friends will be here to encourage you and pray for you.

Old Newbie
February 23rd, 2019, 02:02 AM
Dear Carol,
This news is so scary to hear. It is okay to be numb, dazed and scared. Please know that there is so much that can be done. Your oncologist will offer you many option, and will search for more. It is a journey I am sorry you have to make, but it is a journey of great hope. You are in my thoughts.

KarenC
February 23rd, 2019, 03:30 AM
Prayers and hugs for you and your family as you travel this road.

Simply Quilting
February 23rd, 2019, 03:53 AM
Carol, hugs and prayers.

Bee happy
February 23rd, 2019, 04:17 AM
That news is so terrible. I’m sure you are just trying to process your “what do I do next” thoughts. You will be in my prayers . I hope you have someone who can walk with you during this tough time. Stay positive! Gretchen

laura44
February 23rd, 2019, 05:05 AM
Prayers being said for you. Stay as positive as you can.
I've known at least 5 women who have had breast cancer and
they all are doing well. All of us on the Forum are here for you.

Cathy F
February 23rd, 2019, 07:39 AM
I'm so sorry you have to go through this, you are in my thoughts and prayers that your treatment gives you a full recovery.

sew-what2015
February 23rd, 2019, 09:03 AM
Carol. you will be in my nightly prayers.

Star lover
February 23rd, 2019, 09:24 AM
Oh Carol, my heart goes out to you......a very scary road you’re on. I will keep you in my prayers and hold you in my heart......love and hugs.

Tracie T
February 23rd, 2019, 09:54 AM
Oh my, Carol. I was praying for you as I read this and will continue.

Georgie Girl
February 23rd, 2019, 10:06 AM
Keeping you in my prayers as you face this journey.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
February 23rd, 2019, 10:12 AM
Carol, I'm so sorry to hear this news, but I'm glad that you have shared it with your forum friends. I cannot imagine what or how one reacts to this. Certainly, you are doing great to get things going quickly and praying that this is caught in the early stages. Your boys may not comprehend all this means right now, but I hope they can be with you.

I have friends who have had cancer and beat it. The Victoria Quilts group that I quilt with, are for patients who are undergoing treatments. Many of them have joined our group years after beating cancer, and are grateful survivors. I quilt for this group as I think this is a very nasty illness. Although I am helpless to eradicate it, it's my way to hopefully provide comfort.

Hugs to you and Nelson and your boys.

MaggieSue
February 23rd, 2019, 10:26 AM
You are in my prayers and ((((((hugs))))) to you!!!

Rhonda K
February 23rd, 2019, 10:56 AM
Best wishes to you as you go through this journey. May you have the best care and guidance as you make decisions for your treatment.

Anitamae56
February 23rd, 2019, 11:40 AM
Many prayers and thoughts sent your way. Good luck talking to your children.

Bubby
February 23rd, 2019, 11:52 AM
Carol, I'm so saddened to hear your news. I know how nearly impossible it is to process information of this magnitude. I do know that finding the right oncology team is the best thing you can do. I will definitely keep you in my prayers...we are here for you. (((HUGS)))

grammaterry
February 23rd, 2019, 11:57 AM
Carol, stand tall and try to find something to take your mind off this for now. Do what the Doctors tell you . Tell your family so that won't be eating away at your mind. Prayers are abundant on this forum and they work!! We love you Carol

LLLinda
February 23rd, 2019, 01:38 PM
Quilting will be your good friend and constant companion now. It has gotten many of us through hard times. Gosh Carol, it is so hard trying to be brave and act like no big deal for the kids when you are worried out of your mind. Praying it all works out for you.

MSN
February 23rd, 2019, 03:19 PM
So much good advice here. This forum can be a great source of encouragement and a safe place to vent when you need to. You are not walking this scary path alone.

Cokie
February 23rd, 2019, 03:39 PM
I'm so sorry, Carol. Saying a prayer right now.

Ginny B
February 23rd, 2019, 06:58 PM
Carol, so sorry to hear this. {{{{{Hugs}}}}}} to you. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

MissMay in Jersey
February 23rd, 2019, 07:46 PM
157802 Hope the news is better when you see the doc about treatment. It's been 3 years since my sister began her treatment and all is fine.

Navy Wife
February 23rd, 2019, 07:49 PM
Know that you are being wrapped in prayer every minute of every day till this beast is gone.

Linda

chelea
February 24th, 2019, 12:40 AM
Carol, I will keep you in my prayers. Your Forum friends are with you!

Snip Snip
February 24th, 2019, 10:57 AM
Carol, I'm sending my prayers to you and your family. I know you will get through this and shine.

MHG Winnower
February 24th, 2019, 12:03 PM
Wishing you all the best. To all, please get your mammogram. Early detection is the key to survival.

Carol, my sentiments exactly. Stay positive as others have said. Treatments have come a long way with great success. Scarey, you betcha. Please keep us posted and share as much as you are comfortable with. This Forum is an incredible group, and I'll just bet you can feel the love and support.

Nwmnteacher
February 24th, 2019, 12:52 PM
Prayers for you, Carol.

Patty J
February 24th, 2019, 03:37 PM
Adding my prayers for you, Carol. May the doctors come up with the perfect care plan for you.

Monique
February 24th, 2019, 07:05 PM
Carol, I have walked in your shoes. 2006. I too had a hard time to tell my boys. Yes I did see my life flash before my eyes. I made a mental list of all the things I needed to do/wanted to do. This forum is filled to the brim with such caring and knowledgeable (not only quilting) people. Lean on us too when you need to. Prayers for you and your family as you all go through this journey.

quilt_gems_25
February 25th, 2019, 03:50 AM
Sending hugs and prayers your way. Praying that your treatments works quickly and that you are soon cancer free.

dwil23
February 25th, 2019, 05:42 AM
You've got mine, Carol!

Like others have said, Treatment is much more effective now than just a few years ago. A co-worker just told me last night that "Embrance"(?) is working wonders for her.

amartin24
February 25th, 2019, 09:50 AM
So sorry to hear this news. Prayers for you, your family, and your treatment. Think positive as treatment has come a Long way!

geegeequilts
February 25th, 2019, 03:54 PM
Carol

It's okay for you to feel numb. When I was diagnosed with breast cancer in April 2017 my primary care doctor told me not to worry, that'd we get rid of it. He called the night he got the results & I listened & just said ok, ok, ok, It was when I got off the phone that I bawled as I told my husband. He set me up with my oncologist who was wonderful. With my BC it also showed up in my lymph nodes (just one breast was where the cancer showed up). Oncologist wanted me to have a CT scan, bone density & I think an MRI. She wanted us to make sure no stone was left unturned & that no other cancer was anywhere else. Thank God none were found.

Fast forward I had 6 rounds of chemo & a mastectomy. I'm doing excellent. My biggest "side effect" was with the very low energy level & lack of appetite (lost 18 lbs) BUT, again I'm doing excellent!!

Carol, there are others here that have been thru this diagnosis & I bet they too have been numb. I've told everyone this, cry, shout, get angry, frustrated, scared. Whatever emotion you you want to go thru. YOU are the one going thru it. THEN, apologize to whoever you get angry with & tell them it's not them you are angry with. THEN, wipe your nose, dry your eyes & say I don't have a choice. Well, you do but not really. Just know you are not alone...ever. Cry when you have to, smile when you can. My daughter told me, "Mom, you were stronger than I ever thought you were, more so than I would've been".

You are stronger than you think. Your kids will be too. Try not to worry too much. You got this. Praying has been started for you. PM me if you want to chat.

Gina

Caroline T.
February 26th, 2019, 02:03 AM
Carol, I have no doubt that you'll win this battle, but I will send up my prayers for a quick victory and that you receive strength love and comfort from all who know and love you.

GuitarGramma
February 26th, 2019, 03:30 AM
Dearest Carol,

You will be in my prayers. I'm so sorry to hear your diagnoses. You have a good chance of beating this; treatments have gotten so effective! Our family is living proof, as our oldest daughter is now ten years post diagnosis and cancer free!

Bouse
February 26th, 2019, 07:37 AM
More prayers for you today as you discuss the plan of action with your oncologist.