PDA

View Full Version : Friday Trivia: Francois' Langurx

Star lover
February 22nd, 2019, 07:52 AM
Francois' langurs are primates found in parts of Vietnam, Laos and China.

As adults, they're jet-black with distinctive white facial markings that look like sideburns, but the babies are born with bright orange fur that makes them easy to spot in a crowd. Francois' langurs live in groups of three or more, with all the females sharing child-rearing duty.

Around three weeks old, the newborns are handed over to an “aunt” while the mother forages for food. At times female langurs can be seen carrying three infants, and not one will be her own. The troop engages in mutual grooming periods throughout the day when they are not resting and foraging for food.

They are small monkeys that usually weigh approximately 13 pounds. Their bodies measure to be around two feet long with an additional three feet of tail.

The Francois Langur’s diet consists mostly of leaves with a small percentage of fruits, nuts, and insects.

sew-what2015
February 22nd, 2019, 09:53 AM
Never heard of them before. They really do have an unusual, distinctive look. Thanks for sharing.

geegeequilts
February 22nd, 2019, 04:19 PM
How interesting they look. Thanks for showing this.

Gina

SuzanneOrleansOntario
February 22nd, 2019, 07:09 PM
How interesting. I have a friend on holiday un Vietnam, I wonder if she will see any?

grammaterry
February 22nd, 2019, 07:25 PM
The baby orange ones look like Howdy dudy dolls. Wonder if our Nam Vet Husbands saw these in the jungles. I'm going to ask.

Bee happy
February 23rd, 2019, 04:34 AM
What a stunning picture!