PDA

View Full Version : It's Thursday

Monique
February 21st, 2019, 09:33 AM
Hola!! Cómo estás? I hope you are well. We are finally back after a very sleepless night. Our flight was delayed so we did not leave Cuba until 1:30 am. A little rest on the plane, but home by 7:30 am. We were not home very long before we went back to bed. Slept until noon.

Well my friends, it was a very very special and wonderful trip. All inclusive is the way to go. The Cubans are a very affectionate people. The staff greet each other with hugs in the morning and the special ones we saw on a regular basis, greeted me with hugs. I have new friends on Facebook.

I have come back with a cough due to cold and many bug bites. Both are being taken care of, haha.

We did two excursions on our trip. One day, we took a rum, cigar and sugar cane tour. We left early in the morning and didn't return until 5. Our trip took us through two towns. We saw a sliver of a glimpse into the conditions in which they live. Sure makes you appreciate what you have. At one place, we got our to make a cigar. Les me make his and I did a pretty good job. Our 'teacher' even commented "Very good". I still it for bragging rights. After the tour, we were each given a bottle of rum. We were given a snack at a little hotel in Remedios. From there we visited the town square. After the tour, we had a late lunch at another restaurant close to our resort. It was a great tour.

For Valentine's Day I wanted to do the sunset cruise. The weather was cloudy all day so I was not even sure we would get to see the sunset. We were bused to the marina, and left on a catamaran. The clouds blew away and the sun came out so we did get to see the sunset. It was so beautiful. From there we were dropped off at the dolphinarium for a dolphin show. We were greeted with champagne on arrival. After the show, we enjoyed a wonderful lobster dinner. From there we were bused back to the resort. We were on a double decker bus and it was quite chilly sitting on top but we survived. I was to have a surprise afterwards but we were late getting back, so my surprise came two days later, a bubble bath drawn by our butler and the bubbles decorated with flower pedals. It was heavenly.

We met many many wonderful people, sitting by the pool. Aquafit and zumba in the pool were fun.

All in all it was a great adventure and we have been bit, we want to return next year. Thanks Bonnie, hehe.

The food was great, the service was great, the company was great and it was a very relaxing vacation. We did not miss the snow, that is for sure.

Interesting facts: The island of Cayo Santa Maria has no inhabitants. Staff is bused in. It is a 1 1/2 drive across a man made causeway from the airport in Santa Clara. The resort has many cats, I think to keep the geko population down, but I could be wrong. And they are not fat cats. No animals that we saw were 'fat'. The cows, horses and even the chickens were pretty lean.

Phil's birthday is Saturday so tomorrow we will head to his place. Maizyn is all excited as this is her weekend to spend at his house. I must not forget her ice cream I was told.

I have many loads of laundry to get done. Summer clothes are not a priority at the moment, lol.

As soon as I get pictures off my camera I will share with you. I did miss you all and glad that I am back. I will miss the heat and the sun.

Have a great day my friends.

Star lover
February 21st, 2019, 09:51 AM
Good morning everyone!

Halo Monique! Sooooo happy to have you back, even if it was sunny and warm where you’ve come from!
Sounds like an absolutely amazing vacation and time of chillin!
Take it easy, the snow “bites” too! Summer stuff can wait.

The weather event of yesterday, fizzled out. The next one to arrive is the weekend......if they’re right. I’m thinkin, if they keep saying it, it’s a gonna happen sooner or later.

The sewing room got a workout yesterday and I’m sure hoping again today. I’m on a role, now that I finally have enough of the right pieces.

Hope everyone has an enjoyable, safe, warm, peaceful and pieceful day! Love and hugs to all!

Bubby
February 21st, 2019, 09:52 AM
Monique!!!! Welcome back!!!! So glad to hear you had a fabulous trip. I was wishing all of that and more for you and Les. I used to feel the same way about Cancun.

So, things are pretty much the same around here. The winter blizzard changes location almost every day and we have all had turn with it. At the moment we are dealing with ice on top of ice. The yard is melting and turning to soup.

Let the laundry go and enjoy your weekend.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Thursday.

BethB
February 21st, 2019, 10:03 AM
Good morning everyone!! Welcome back Monique!!!! Sounds like you had an amazing vacation!! We missed you around here!!!

We had about 6 inches of snow yesterday, then freezing rain last night. My driveway was ok to walk on, but I noticed the sidewalk was slippery --- even the dog had a bit of trouble walking on it. Hopefully, it will warm up a bit so it can melt, although the bushes and trees look so pretty with the ice on their branches.

It's going to be a busy day today. I have to drop off some info I forgot to include with my taxes, then meeting some of my retired teaching friends for lunch and then I have my hair appointment (finally) later this afternoon (I was supposed to go yesterday, but I rescheduled because of the weather). Time to get the dog out for a 2nd walk and then start my busy day.

Hope you all have a great day!!!!!

Nancy

JCY
February 21st, 2019, 10:09 AM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ Monique, so glad to have you back. It sounds like you had a great adventure. Looking forward to your pictures.

Not quite as cold this a.m.; it's 19 deg. We had a sunny day & 44 deg. yest., but a very brisk wind chill. I'm a Survivor fan, so I watched the new season opening episode last eve.

My plans for today are to do some serious work on the taxes. I'd like to get this monkey off my back.

KPH
February 21st, 2019, 10:10 AM
Woohooo, welcome back Monique. It sounds like your trip was grand!

J will be here for home school after his morning at Bible School. One day, I'll learn the acronym, but it's stuck in my head wrong and for the life of me VBS comes out every time. I know there's not a V in there, lol. I think it's BFS, maybe, or maybe not.

I sat down last night and did some calculations on the Garden Star quilt. Nana's kids want it king sized, so I wanted to know how many of each type of block I needed to make. I'll check the my math before I start cutting up my layer cakes into 5" squares. J is insisting that I NOT use the three white on white squares, lol, I wasn't planning on it, but he's the spy that got me my color approval.

He's been watching the hexie box and he's thinking about it, because he asked yesterday how I ever had time to make his quilt. I didn't put the two things together until last night. I certainly don't hand stitch all of my quilts! I'll have to have him watch me make the sample block of Nana's quilt.

Yesterday, he had some pattern work on his math worksheet. While he was breezing through that, I asked him if he wanted to see what I would give my kids at school for pattern work. He was all eager beaver. I gave him a couple, and we talked about Fibonacci and his sequence and the Golden Mean. So we'll start exploring that in nature now that it's warming up.

Time to get started doing something productive.

Prayers for those in need. There are so many. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

KPH
February 21st, 2019, 10:16 AM
PSA for the day, when I called SSA for the address so I'd know where to go... there is a scam going around. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but I hadn't heard of it.

Some naughty folks are going around saying they're from Social Security and wanting your personal information. The recorded message while I was on hold was if someone calls you wanting that information, hang up and immediately call the police to report it. Then it went on to say, the real SSA will never call you and ask you that kind of information.

As for me, I've quit answering the phone if I don't know the number.

pcbatiks
February 21st, 2019, 10:52 AM
Glad to hear you had a great time on your trip, Monique! Plenty of fun and relaxation....that's how is should be. :D

SuzanneOrleansOntario
February 21st, 2019, 11:10 AM
Good morning,
Welcome back Monique. It sounds like you had a really nice trip. All inclusive and upgrades are the best way to travel. I bet you will be ready to book your next trip real soon.

Yesterday we drove to LQS an hour away to pick up my free monthly meter of fabric. I also picked up more HQ stickies for rulers. I love these. They really grip and are clear. I always go through their sale area and picked up more items. We had breakfast at a favorite roadside diner. We also did a pit stop at Costco before heading home. Then I handsewed the binding on a VQC quilt.

Today, I will shorten DGS curtain and mending. I have a few errands to run, maybe if the mood strikes me. I may visit mom, or try to reach her by phone. A lot of times she can't reach it, so doesn't answer.

Enjoy your day.

Cathy F
February 21st, 2019, 11:29 AM
Morning all,

Welcome back Monique, glad to hear you had a restful vacation. Somehow I thought you were on a cruise

Yesterday we had a bit of snow, stuck to the grass but the roads were clear. I'm sure it won't be here long which makes me happy.

I have a retreat coming up the first part of April so I've been looking through my UFO's to see what might get completed would be easier to select if there weren't so many of them. All I can say is shame on me.

Wishing everyone a good day and hugs to those who are in need of a few extra today.

chelea
February 21st, 2019, 12:34 PM
Welcome back Monique! Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation. I love to travel but I'm always so happy to get home and sleep in my own bed.
We had the "wintery mix" overnight and now it's a mess of slush on the streets. It's supposed to get up to 50 today so more melting.
I have a hairdresser appt this afternoon and a few errands.
I finished the 80 blocks for the string quilt and started to arrange and check for color placement. I used a 1" burgundy strip in the middle of every block and the last strip on each side is the same fabric so there will be a very wonky secondary pattern.
Hope you have a safe and productive day!

Simply Quilting
February 21st, 2019, 01:42 PM
Good morning!

Monique, welcome back. I am glad that you had a great time.

Yesterday morning we woke up with 7.5 inches of new snow on the ground. It was a perfect snow to use snow blower at 8am. Later on it started to melt which changed things completely. As we left church last night, all the melting had turned to ice so it was slick. This weekend's forecast is another storm but they are not positive yet what and how much we will get. One weatherman says that we are right in the middle of it and will get hit the worst. Time will tell.

I am wanting to get to the sewing room for a bit today.

Have a wonderful day everyone :)

Ginny B
February 21st, 2019, 06:54 PM
Good evening everyone. Welcome home Monique. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Another day of little projects around the house and then in the afternoon hubby headed over to our CPA and dropped off our taxes and I headed over to ACLD and had lunch with Ceil and looked at a sewing machine she asked me to look at. It is a new Brother but it suddenly just stopped picking up the bobbin thread. I checked everything I knew to check to no avail. She only bought it last month so I told her to contact Brother. She bought it at Michael's which isn't really known for their sewing supplies. It is a very basic model that she bought for her 10 year old granddaughter who is showing an interest in sewing.

Tomorrow morning dh and I have appointments to get our TSA precheck approved. We figure we will be taking more trips now and the shorter lines and less hassle will make it a more pleasant experience.

I finished the 5 blankets made with the shaggy shannon fabric. Whew! So glad to be finished with those Not sure what's next on the list. First I need to give the machine a good cleaning that's for sure.

Have a good evening everyone.

grammaterry
February 21st, 2019, 09:09 PM
Vacuumed my new rug and it was a pleasure today. Stacked wood for a while and then cut some fabric and sat down and tried to focus on sewing. My neighbors GC, Cohen (you may remember my prayer request for the little guy with the Ewing Sarcoma) is still struggling. He will be six next month and has deteriorated down to 30 lbs. Two more chemos to go and they are hoping he will survive them and be on his way to recovery. The tumor is definitely shrinking according to the scans. But, its been on my mind all day . She said they are letting him play video games because he has no strength to move about much. He likes Pokémon and legos so I looked thru my stash hoping to find some of that. I need to find out what he plays the games on...like IPAD or phone or what and then I'll try to make him a tote bag for it so he can carry it with him. Do you have any suggestions of other items I could make that might make the little fellow happy?
I made a carrot cake today. I put it in a 9x13 pan instead of the 3 nine inchpans I usually use. It took a long time to bake and it did make it seem different. Its good though. Not too sweet since it doesn't have the layers of frosting.