PDA

View Full Version : Its Monday......and were just starting the Week!

Star lover
February 18th, 2019, 08:17 AM
Good morning yall,

Not sure when Monique will be back. Praying she returns to us safely! I bet shes having a great time in sun and warmth!

Cold here, snow here (another 4), Im not a happy camper here.....so ready for spring! But it could always be worse, so not really complaining.

Never saw my sewing room all weekend. Shopped, and kept after the ice. Its better, back, not so much.

Thinking also of Pam, and her mystery pain. Sure hope all is well.
What a hoot, the pics and birthday bash for Barbs pups. Made my day. So thankful to the Lord for her good report from the doc!

Hope yall have a wonderful, safe, warm, peaceful day! Love and hugs to all!

baslp
February 18th, 2019, 08:52 AM
Good morning. Looks like we received a bit of rain last night. We should reach 48 degrees today. I heard on the news that local guys who do plowing of driveways are hurting this year due to lack of snowstorms . They said it has been 4 years since this was also the case.
I hope to sew a few more borders onto my quilt today. I am going to work out and then go to Trader Joe’s for a few things.

Have a good day.

Beth

Carlie Wolf
February 18th, 2019, 10:06 AM
I saw my first robin yesterday. I'm worried this might be a tad early but the temps do seem to be moving upward. Actually quite a few days in the upper 40's and 50's. Can Spring be far behind?

OMG, I've actually had furnace heat for a whole week now so I think they actually found the problem. Turned out that they added another uptake? out flow? register. It had been insufficient and was automatically shutting down the furnace. They are coming today to change all the switches to new ones also. They found one switch that was hidden back behind the motor that was probably as old as the hills. It's pleasant around here now. I think the furnace may even be running more efficiently now. I'm curious to see how much my next bill is since it was down for three out of 4 weeks, maybe only actually ran for three hours total. I really hope it's not an estimated bill because I could use the cost savings :-)

I had fun the last few days catching up on sewing. My sewing rooms are in the main part of the house so it was really too cold to do that comfortably. I really missed it. I've done my first ever catherdal window (sp?). I loved how it turned out and it wasn't as hard as I thought. I also finished three valances for the upstairs bedroom that I changed around. Cut down the super large and heavy quilt so it is more manageable for the bed also. All in all I feel pretty productive :-)

JCY
February 18th, 2019, 10:07 AM
Anita ~ What a hoot that pic is! I needed a Mon. morning chuckle.

Good morning, Everyone ~ Brr -- Cold here, only 12 deg. with snow flurries. Glad I don't have to go anywhere today. I'll spend most of the morning in the kitchen. Time to mix up my turkey patties again. I use 3 lb. of meat; it makes enough patties for 3 wks.

I'm counting the days till I can resume piecing & quilting. Another week to go. I've watched the Antique Lace tut. twice. Frustrating that M* isn't including a pic of the block any more. One has to draw their own or use the Snip-It tool, which I did with this one.

DH is antsy for his breakfast, so no more time now.

KPH
February 18th, 2019, 10:51 AM
Good Morning All,

I'm kind of scattered this morning. It looks pretty outside. It will be nice to see the sun! I got an email about one of my accounts being accessed from a different location, so changing passwords has been going on this morning so far. I hate changing passwords! I've added it to my little book, so when I go to log in later, I'll know what it is. I think I'm going to start a document on my computer with snarky password possibilities and just go down the list when I need to change one. I can't ever think of something when I need it off the top of my head. lol, I should make one I use often-- GetNewSilkFlowers.... maybe then I'll remember to get some new flowers to redo the three arrangements in the living room.

Kids won't be here this morning, but the running around I need to do can't happen either as gov. offices are closed and the meat market is closed on Mondays. Tonight is family dinner... meat loaf and ??? I'll figure it out, sooner or later.

I found a pattern for my April door hanging...https://www.sewmamasew.com/2015/09/happy-fall-mini-quilt-pattern-tutorial/ I don't think I'll make all of the blocks, but I think it's adorable!

I hope that Monique got to Cuba. I saw where one cruise line had been refused entry to the port. That would be so disappointing to all of those passengers that had paid to go there! I'll be looking forward to hearing about her adventures.

Time to get busy and get something done. Prayers for those in need, for healing, strength, comfort, wisdom and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

grammaterry
February 18th, 2019, 11:11 AM
I didn't know Monique was going to cruise to Cuba. Guess I thought she would fly in. Hummm.
You all sound like your week is starting well. The puppy party was really cute.
Off and running today.

KPH
February 18th, 2019, 11:25 AM
I didn't know Monique was going to cruise to Cuba. Guess I thought she would fly in. Hummm.
You all sound like your week is starting well. The puppy party was really cute.
Off and running today.

Well, now that you mention it, I don't know either! I guess we'll find out!

Cathy F
February 18th, 2019, 11:48 AM

Her friend Bonnie gifted her with a cruise. Not sure where they flew to to get the ship.

Star lover
February 18th, 2019, 11:49 AM
Joy......would this help?

https://blog.missouriquiltco.com/?_ga=2.141818033.2037915807.1550501052-2036864526.1550501052

Scroll down to the antique lace entry......is that pic what you wanted? M* posts the tutorial info every week in their blog.

Bubby
February 18th, 2019, 11:52 AM
Good Morning Everyone, It's another frigid day and we are still socked in with ice. We are covered up with robins all over the yard. The trees are full of them and they are driving the pups wild.

Jeff is off today for Presidents Day. We had such a good time at the pups' party. We hoped Monique and Les would fly in for it but I guess they were busy...lol

My embroidery machine is calling my name so I'm off for a little adventure in color.

Have a great day everyone.

Simply Quilting
February 18th, 2019, 01:23 PM
Good morning!

Joy, on the video at the 1:20 mark, they posted the block and the supplies needed. This is the same as the info that Anita found on the website.

I am hoping that staying at home all day is what I get to do. There was more snow yesterday. And looking at this week, today will be the only day that I can stay home all day. I would like to continue work on the BOM blocks from here on out, each month has two blocks instead of one. Yesterday I was able to work on cutting fabric for pillowcases - I precut the fabric pieces into the correct sizes and put them into a ziplock bag (one per pillowcase) then it is easy to grab and sew.

Have a great day everyone :)

Ginny B
February 18th, 2019, 02:10 PM
Good morning... well it will be afternoon by the time I actually hit post. It's a dreary Monday here. We didn't get any snow from the storm that came through last night, unless it happened while we were sleeping. I was up a few times though and it was always rain when I looked outside. Maybe we will get some with the next storm. I can see you all throwing snowballs at me now. LOL Sorry, I really like snow and we haven't had much at all this winter so far.

We had a nice morning. DH and I both woke up around 4:45. Guess it will take our body clocks a while to adjust to not waiting for that alarm at 5. Naturally, we got to snuggle back down and go back to sleep for a few more hours. Wonderful! Especially since I stayed up late last night to watch the final episode of Season 2 of Victoria. I have been recording Season 3 so now I can start watching them. I took the hubs out for breakfast at our favorite diner to celebrate him being on vacation leading into retirement. Now I am doing some laundry and will put some chili into the crockpot for dinner then head up to the sewing room for a bit. Hubs will start gathering the paperwork for the taxes and get it ready to take it over to our accountant.

Barb, that party sure looked like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Katrina, I like that wall hanging pattern. I want to try paper piecing and this is so cute it might just be the one to help me take the step. At least a few blocks anyway. Noel, so glad your heat is working well again. Happy sewing!

Well, it's after 12 now so I'd better get a move on. Have a good day all.

PamelaOry
February 18th, 2019, 02:57 PM
Good morning/afternoon All,

Anita, thanks for your warm thoughts about my mystery pain. It is still going strong. Its definitely much worse when I try to sit. Laying down or standing decreases or sometimes eliminates it. Cant wait till the doc is back in her office so we can figure this thing out.
My hubby is off today for Presidents Day as well. Hes still asleep, lol. His only plan is a protest later today at the courthouse. He has some clever sign ideas hes looking forward to making.
I did a bunch of cutting and ironing yesterday getting my new 30s fabrics ready to go into my project. I tried to work on binding my wall hanging but that requires sitting which is painful so I just did standing jobs. Will probably do the same today.

Hang in there Joy, only one more week to go!
So glad you got your furnace fixed finally Carlie!

Bubby
February 18th, 2019, 03:59 PM

I heard from her while they were there, so they made it. I thought they were flying. She should be home soon.

JCY
February 18th, 2019, 05:54 PM
Anita ~ When one prints the PDF from the weekly tutorial, it no longer prints a diagram of the block, just the quilt. This week's pic of the Antique Lace quilt was so small, it was difficult to even visualize the block. M* used to print the block pattern with each tut, & the quilt pic was much larger, as was the font size. I really do not like the new format. Yes, I went to the tutorial on the blog & used the Snip-It tool to get pics of the quilt & the block. I save it on the computer, then form a Word doc & size the pic to my preference & keep it with the PDF. I write out my own instructions as I watch the video.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
February 18th, 2019, 10:20 PM
Good evening,
I'm late to the show. It was a beautiful sunny, but cold day. We got up early and went to pick up our favorite coffee beans and had breakfast. We were happy to see it was open as it is Family Day here. Most stores, banks are closed. Then we came home and we both quilted. I worked on adding a border to a VQC donated top. I then sandwiched it. So now I have 2 more to quilt. I added a binding on another, and will handsew in evenings this week. My GF came for dinner. This week will be busy.

DH printed the lists for next week's retreat. I had our lunch planned, and then the schedule was revised and it's now last dinner. Dorothy & I are having coffee tomorrow morning to go through our lists. We plan on bringing snowshoes. I'm looking forward to it.

I should be getting a M* order on Tuesday. Another one from 14/2 has not shipped yet. I see they are using FedEx now. The latter order has fabric for GS birthday gift in 13/3. Hope I get soon.

Joy - I like the Antique Lace pattern as well, but it could be that they would like to re-coup costs by selling patterns, or include it in Block magazine. Just a thought.

JCY
February 18th, 2019, 11:47 PM
Suzanne ~ You may be right about M* wanting to sell the pattern or using it in the BLOCK. For years, I've been writing my own instructions as I watch the tutorials, before the PDFs were available. I just stop/start the video as needed to take notes. I seem to do better with the visual demo., rather than just reading a pattern instructions in a mag. I was thinking the Antique Lace pattern would be a way to use up small scraps, since the HSTs are so much smaller than usual. I have a bunch of triangle trimmings from snowballing that will make a 2.5" HST. Since the block is so large (20"), I think a 1 block mini quilt will work, with a border, for our quilt guild sale in the fall. It could be a table topper, doll bed quilt, wall hanging, or whatever.

PamelaOry
February 18th, 2019, 11:54 PM
Suzanne ~ You may be right about M* wanting to sell the pattern or using it in the BLOCK. For years, I've been writing my own instructions as I watch the tutorials, before the PDFs were available. I just stop/start the video as needed to take notes. I seem to do better with the visual demo., rather than just reading a pattern instructions in a mag. I was thinking the Antique Lace pattern would be a way to use up small scraps, since the HSTs are so much smaller than usual. I have a bunch of triangle trimmings from snowballing that will make a 2.5" HST. Since the block is so large (20"), I think a 1 block mini quilt will work, with a border, for our quilt guild sale in the fall. It could be a table topper, doll bed quilt, wall hanging, or whatever.

Sounds really pretty Joy!