PDA

View Full Version : Monday Trivia: George Washington

Star lover
February 18th, 2019, 07:43 AM
George Washington was born in Virginia on Feb. 11, 1731, according to the Julian calendar, which Great Britain and its colonies were using at the time.

In 1752, however, Great Britain changed to the Gregorian calendar, which necessitated the recalculation of birthdates and anniversaries.

By the new reckoning, Washington's birthday was shifted a full year and 11 days, to Feb. 22, 1732. That's why Washington's Birthday is observed on the 22nd of February.

Happy Presidentís Day!

Patty J
February 18th, 2019, 03:53 PM
I just read something on the net (know you can't believe everything out there) that George Washingtons' teeth were not made of wood. They were made with ivory and other peoples teeth. YUK No wonder he never smiled. Not sure how to fact check that.

Star lover
February 18th, 2019, 04:21 PM
I figure the Mt. Vernon historical site would have the right answer......and you are right! There’s pics on this site too.

Here’s more info.....I feel sorry for him, he was always in so much pain.

https://www.mountvernon.org/library/digitalhistory/digital-encyclopedia/article/false-teeth/

JCY
February 18th, 2019, 06:00 PM
Well, that was interesting about the false teeth. On one of my trips to the D.C. area, I toured Mt. Vernon with my son's family. It was very interesting. I loved all the gardens, the house on the hill overlooking the Potomac River, etc. It's a great place to visit if you're even in the area.

GuitarGramma
February 19th, 2019, 01:23 AM
You will never guess what Mary Higgins Clark's first book was! OK, since this is a thread about George Washington, maybe you will.

Mary Higgins Clark's first book was titled "Aspire To The Heavens," and was later re-titled as "Mount Vernon Love Story." Using logic to fill in historical gaps, Ms. Clark wrote about the love between George and Martha Washington! I just bought this for my Nook and can't wait to read it!