PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Trivia: First Gold Record

Star lover
February 13th, 2019, 07:53 AM
The first gold record ever awarded was presented to Glenn Miller and his orchestra on Feb. 10, 1942, for 1.2 million sales of the single "Chattanooga Choo Choo."

157608. 157609

The song features in the 1941 movie "Sun Valley Serenade," which was set in Idaho and was basically a vehicle for Norwegian ice skating star Sonja Henie.

The real scene-stealers, though, were Dorothy Dandridge and the Nicholas Brothers, whose dazzling song-and-dance performance on "Chattanooga Choo Choo" was backed by Miller and his orchestra.

I just love these old movies......tonight would be the perfect night to watch one......if we have power.....

Patty J
February 13th, 2019, 01:48 PM
Glen Miller Band was my moms' favorite music. She had records of his and we were told "don't touch that" I can hear that song in my head now and I bet it stays with me for a long time. Thanks, I think>

Ginny B
February 13th, 2019, 02:36 PM
My mom, dad and grandmother loved that music and I grew up listening to the Big Bands. Glenn Miller was my favorite and of all his wonderful tunes, In The Mood is my fav.

geegeequilts
February 13th, 2019, 03:53 PM
Love Glenn Miller! My favorite movies are the black & white ones. Specially love the Glenn Miller Story. And To Have & Have Not..love Humphrey Bogart.

Gina

grammaterry
February 13th, 2019, 11:19 PM
My mother loved the big bands too. Funny story though...my biological father wanted to treat her to the greatest bandleader of all time and took her to see "Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys" I would have been in heaven but not my mom