PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl Sunday

KPH
February 3rd, 2019, 09:15 AM
Good Morning All,

From the news this morning, you'd think nothing else was happening today. lol It's raining but it looks like it's going to clear out but the fog is following behind it. From the sounds of it, it's going to be a great day for some soup!

I worked on a project yesterday, I can't make up my mind if it's going to be a good one for SS or not. I'll probably give this one to DGD for her hair baubles. One things for sure, it's a lot of hurry up and wait. There are some finishing details that I didn't like. So if I do it again, there will be some modifications made.

I'm not sure of the Sunday plans. I forgot that Jim isn't going to play this week, so he doesn't have to be there early. Naturally, I got up thinking he might be here at 7:15 before I remembered that detail. I doubt that Morgan will be going since she's on duty 5 consecutive days. I think tonight is the last night of that stretch and she'll have a week off. She's going to need it to recuperate! I can't imagine 5 days of 12+ hour shifts in a row. I think their person in charge of scheduling needs to have to work the floor for 5 days like that.

I hope you all enjoy your Super Bowl Sunday. Mike wants Scalloped Potatoes and Ham tonight. Last time I went to pick up potatoes there weren't any unless you bought a 5 pound bag. Hopefully, I'll be able to pick up a few today. No point in having that many potatoes for the two of us!

Prayers for those in need for healing, strength, comfort, wisdom and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

Bubby
February 3rd, 2019, 09:23 AM
Good Morning Everyone...Jeff got called to work at 4:00 this morning. I have no idea when he will get home. He spent the day at the apartments yesterday and so far he hasn't had any down time after working a double shift Friday.

I will be making a trip to WalMart as soon as the the sun rises. I like to get this task over with early.

I managed to get two blocks for the wedding quilt made over the weekend....slow going and I'm a bit rusty.

I could care less about who wins the Super Bowl since the KC Chiefs aren't in the game sooo...may your favorite team win!

Monique
February 3rd, 2019, 09:55 AM
Good morning friends. Up way too early again this morning. I am hoping that our vacation will remedy that. Last load of wash done till we get back.

Update on my niece. Surgery has been cancelled. Now it looks like it will be chemo and radiation for now at least. From what I understand this tumour is very close to the heart and surgery had already be scheduled at the Heart Institute. But a review of the biopsy has changed the plan. I really hope this plan works for everyone's sake. We are going to try and connect with her tomorrow and to also give her the quilt.

I bought snacks for Super Bowl day. We are staying in and may possibly have a guest come and watch it with us. Mother Hubbard's cupboard is getting pretty bare to say the least. I will have a major shop to do when we get back. Tomorrow we will head into Ottawa and stay at Greg's house as he is only 15 or so from the airport. The weather isn't supposed to be very good for tonight into tomorrow, freezing rain is what they are calling for. At least we will be close to the airport for Tuesday.

Not sure what I will do today. I may do a little quilting on the butterfly quilt.

Have a great day everyone.

pcbatiks
February 3rd, 2019, 10:35 AM
Good morning, friends. DH will probably watch the game this evening even though his team isn't playing. I hope to spend some time sewing or straightening sewing stuff. Friday one of the ladies in our bee group brought a whole bunch of fabric & things that she had cleaned from her sewing room. She wanted us to take what ever we wanted...........you would have thought that none of us had a single scrap of fabric at home! :icon_rofl::icon_rofl: We laughed as we dug through the fabric treasures and of course we didn't get any work done that day. :D So today I need to "file" my goodies in their new home.

There really should be a support group for quilters..................but no one wants to be cured. :D

KarenC
February 3rd, 2019, 11:15 AM
Good morning everyone. Today will be a cloudy day. Yesterday was a day of errands mostly. I was able to pick up my machine from the shop. She is now working strong again. After hours of searching, I finally found the binding fabric so I could finish niece's quilt. Agenda for today is church, haircut, grocery shopping, and stabilIizing the shirts for the next quilt.

Monique, have an awesome vacation. Blessed day to all. Gotta get moving.

JulieC
February 3rd, 2019, 11:36 AM
Good morning and happy Sunday! Temps will be a balmy 50 degrees or so today, such a difference from the arctic cold we had last week. No complaints, though. I'm sure the winter temps will be back soon enough.

I don't have any plans for the Super Bowl tonight, the game is on CBS here and I have a hard time getting that station (I don't have cable or satellite). I think the local station boosts their signal for the big game. I will play with the antenna and re-program the channels later this afternoon. I am not a fan of either team, but everyone at work will be talking about the game tomorrow...or the commercials...or the half time show...so I will try to watch. You never know, maybe it will be a good game!

Mom's birthday is Tuesday, she will be 89 years old. I went to a local florist yesterday and ordered some flowers. I didn't see quite what I wanted online. Mom likes baskets, but vases are in style...as are one-sided arrangements (she likes them all around). The gal I worked with was great, we picked out Mom's favorite flowers (white daisies and yellow roses), some accents, and a cute little brown basket.

I spent some time in the sewing room yesterday afternoon, strip-piecing the border for a wallhanging. It has been a little challenging because I don't do random very well. It became more of a challenge when I noticed the piecing shrunk the M* paper template by a quarter inch. :( Good thing the first square was just practice!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
February 3rd, 2019, 11:37 AM
Good morning ladies,

I don't really care for the freezing rain that we are expecting today & Monday. Good plan Monique, get into the city near the airport. I am sure you won't miss the scrappy weather we are getting this week. My daughter and family should have left at 7am. I hope they have a good trip. When I visited Friday, poor Cedric was starting to be sick. Kids. It seems there's always one sniffling or coughing. My daughter is getting so thin, she is looking ragged and I know she is exhausted. She went into work one evening this week, and worked until 11pm. She has a large group to manage, and one lady retired Friday, and she found a replacement to start in 2 weeks. I will pray that she gets a break and needed rest.

I finished my quilt top yesterday and DH finished our grandson's top. He hopes to sandwich it today. I might work on VQ. Tomorrow is our group meeting. We may not be many, as some of the older ladies do not venture out in bad weather.

DH said he might watch the Super Bowl. I'm not a big fan, but maybe half time entertainment will be good. Only good thing about it, the great sales on wings. I have stocked up.

Enjoy your day. Stay warm. Stay dry. Be safe.

baslp
February 3rd, 2019, 12:18 PM
Good morning. It is going to be 53 here today. I started a new quilt — Braided. I have never made this pattern, so I have to be focused when piecing.
I am off to the Art Muesum w a friend to see an exhibit— Dior — the early designs. It will get me out of 5he house

JaniceR
February 3rd, 2019, 12:35 PM
Good morning, friends. DH will probably watch the game this evening even though his team isn't playing. I hope to spend some time sewing or straightening sewing stuff. Friday one of the ladies in our bee group brought a whole bunch of fabric & things that she had cleaned from her sewing room. She wanted us to take what ever we wanted...........you would have thought that none of us had a single scrap of fabric at home! :icon_rofl::icon_rofl: We laughed as we dug through the fabric treasures and of course we didn't get any work done that day. :D So today I need to "file" my goodies in their new home.

There really should be a support group for quilters..................but no one wants to be cured. :D

Thank you for that laugh this morning! And it definitely applies to me!! LOL

And Iím really sorry about the Saints. I am a huge football fan and was so looking forward to seeing them in the Super Bowl. What an awful way to get eliminated!! That one will be felt and talked about for years!!

chelea
February 3rd, 2019, 12:36 PM
Good morning everyone. Temps will be up in the 40's today, lots of melting going on. Looking forward to Spring...we've got 44 days to go.
I got the banister stained yesterday. I think it will need 3 coats but the gel stain is easy to work with. I like the results so far. I was a busy bee yesterday. Besides the banister I got 2 big closets cleaned out. Does anyone else have this problem? Kids moved out years ago yet I seem to have things they just can't part with but at the same time, don't want to take the stuff to their house. Hmmm.
Today I have my big walk in closet to tackle. Banister needs another day to dry. That means it's sew time!
Katrina, you need to put a potato on for me...that's one of my favorite meals. Ham and scalloped potatoes were made for each other.
Hope the rest of your Sunday is peaceful, unless you're watching the game. All I can say is GO PATS!

Navy Wife
February 3rd, 2019, 12:59 PM
I wish I had my sewing room back, but maybe this week! We will spend today moving my friend's things to her new condo. It's a beautiful day and will be warm this afternoon. I'll be sad to see her leave, but glad to put my house back together. She's only 10 minutes away.
We will look for a good movie to watch tonight. We are not pro sports fans.
Have a wonderful trip, Monique.

PamelaOry
February 3rd, 2019, 01:31 PM
Good morning All

We are not pro sports fans either so no super bowl will be happening here.
Hubby is going to hang my design wall today, he would have done it last night but he needs to deal with some wiring to remove an old heater switch on the wall where we want to put it.
Tonight is our Sunday night dinner. We have our grown kids over for a family meal, tonight we are making one of my favorites, gypsy soup.

Patty J
February 3rd, 2019, 02:11 PM
Pamela, that sounds like an interesting soup, gypsy soup. It sounds exotic.
I got my bolt of Pellon flex foam yesterday and I'm anxious to make the basket I saw a tutorial for. It looked easy. My sister and I think we might want to make them for our other 4 sisters for next Christmas ( I also have 2 grown granddaughters and 2 DIL that we sew for) So instead of watching the "Big Game" I'll be trying to make a practice basket. My team isn't playing either and I'm mostly interested in the ads. LOL Nothing will ever beat the Budweiser ad where the colt was trying to pull the big wagon and mom at the back pushing while the colt was acting so proud because he was moving the wagon.

MissMay in Jersey
February 3rd, 2019, 03:05 PM
Holy, Moly, we're having a Heat Wave as it's 50 degrees today! Windows are open for some fresh air in the house. DH will probably watch the game on and off and complain about whatever happens as he's not a fan of either team. DS#3 and family are Big Pats fans especially since they love in MA.

I'm going to busy myself straightening up the house and getting some bills paid so I can do nicer stuff during the week, haircut is at the top of the list.

Monique, You and hubby enjoy your trip to Cuba and rent a 1960's pink Cadillac like DS#1 did when he was there last summer.

JCY
February 3rd, 2019, 03:12 PM
Good Morning ~ I stayed home from church today after a restless night. Not sure if it was the weather, my late supper or what. For one thing, it was a warmer night & I got hot. Took off some blankets. I think I was up 4 times, which is unusual for me. At 3:45, I was feeling agitated so checked my blood sugar. My glucose was low, so I had a snack. Back to sleep for only 1 hr. when the alarm went off. I'll probably have a nap in the recliner later today.

No Super Bowl watching in this household. DH has no interest in any sports. The only time I watch the SB is if the Denver Broncos are playing. They've had 2 lousy, losing seasons. I think they've been to the SB twice in the 40 yrs. we've lived here. Denver put on a huge celebration for them. Maybe the new coach & staff can whip the team into shape.

It's sunny & supposed to be 60 deg. today.

My surgical hand is hurting quite a bit today, so I probably better ice it some more. From my post-op instructions I learned it can take weeks to months for the symptoms to go away. I still have numbness & tingling. So this will not be an instant fix. (Sigh)

I've already read all 10 books that I recently ordered. Today I started one I read several yrs. ago, Snow Falling on Cedars.

I'm off to fix my daily c. of coffee & read awhile.

jjkaiser
February 3rd, 2019, 06:40 PM
Joy you are such a fast reader, you already read 10 books?!! I can start a new thread if you want, to get book suggestions for your recup period? Two authors that I love are Elin Hilderbrand and Elizabeth Berg. All of their books are great, and I am a picky reader. Otherwise no SB fan here but husb will watch. I started an I Spy quilt after lunch and put together 2 rows, one with sashing between blocks, one without. I cannot make up my mind about it! Obv just sewing the blocks togeth with no sashing is easiest, and will use more spy squares so that's what I plan on doing during the game.