PDA

View Full Version : WOOHOO it's FRIDAY!!!!

Monique
February 1st, 2019, 08:55 AM
I can't say that I am sorry this week is coming to an end. I should be paid bigger bucks for all I have done at the post office this week. From finding a replacement, posting certain closure hours (3 Friday afternoon closures that she can't do and no replacement available), to ensuring she has keys, writing down certain procedures that need to be followed and dealing with some upset clients. My one very bright spot today is having lunch with my friend. I went out yesterday and sat in my car in front of the library to use their internet. I wanted a coffee so I went next door to get a coffee only to see a friend sitting there by herself. So I sat with her and we had a visit. I think all this added stress has given me sleepless nights. I am not sleeping well at all. I need a vacation. OH WAIT, I am getting one.

It is another chilly start to the day. I will continue with the butterfly quilt. It is coming along quite well. It will be done in time for that special birthday in April.

While I was up just after midnight, I put an order in to Connecting Threads as they have a sale on their batting. I also ordered some layer cakes too as I could not resist the price.

Well that is it for me. Have a wonderful day friends and a great weekend.

Star lover
February 1st, 2019, 09:14 AM
Good morning to all!

Monique, I’m so happy that you ARE going on vacation soon! Ahhhhh, warmer days are on the horizon. Thankful you’ve got everything in place for you absence.......but wow, you sure went the extra mile! The countdown is on......!

Well it got cold here Wednesday and yesterday.....we’ll, it’s still cold! Yesterday’s low was -16. High 2. Windchill was -40!

The major supplier of natural gas to all of Michigan had an explosion and fire late Wednesday evening. Emergency alerts were sent out by the power company, electric company and the governor of Michigan. Turn down heat to 65’ or less (if you could) and use as little electric as possible. The fire had damaged the compression system. If people didn’t comply, gas would be turned off.

The company and governor, contacted the major companies in Michigan to shut down, if they could. My DH works for GM and they shut down all over Michigan. Along with over 100 companies, federal buildings and city buildings. The crisis was averted. The gas company was able to divert other lines, while they worked in short shifts to repair damage down by the fire and explosion (no one was injured!)

So we bundled up, I had on long underwear as I cleaned house. I scrubbed the bathroom tile floor and the vinyl in the kitchen. I want cold one bit! And then I sewed (I don’t think sewing machines use much electric.....do they?)

So today we are to get to 16.....and in the 20’s tomorrow and I can’t even begin to believe it, it 40, Sunday! A heat wave.......then the temps drop. So very strange, but I’m happy for the 40’!

Hope everyone stays warm. Thinking and praying for poor Carlie and no heat! Also of Beth’s pup. Continued prayers for complete healing for Joy!
Love and hugs to all!

JCY
February 1st, 2019, 10:15 AM
Good Morning ~ It's 24 deg. here this a.m. High temp. tomorrow & Sun. is supposed to be 60 deg., so there's warmer weather coming to those east of us. I'm not sure I could tolerate only 65 deg. in the house. It was sunny & 56 yest.

Today I get to take off the bandage. Looking forward to that. I'm hoping to get by with just Tylenol today.

No more time now.

Bubby
February 1st, 2019, 10:43 AM
Good Morning...Jeff just called from work to tell me to stay off the roads this morning due to a layer of black ice. That's the kind you don't see until you slide and spin out of control. He got to work okay. Fine with me...I'll just stay put until later today. Ready for an early Spring here.

Both loaves of banana bread I made yesterday weren't anything special. So I will keep looking for a good recipe.

Miss May, your quilt is lovely. Everything you make has your special touch.

Wishing everyone a warm and safe day.....

pcbatiks
February 1st, 2019, 10:56 AM
Monique, I hope you enjoy your much needed vacation.

Anita, wow.....the situation in Michigan sounds stressful and terribly cold.

Barb, hope you are continuing to feel better. Stay home & stay warm.

Joy, I home your wrist continues to heal with no problems.

I'm off to sew with our Friday quilting group this morning. Maybe I can get there on time today. :D

SuzanneOrleansOntario
February 1st, 2019, 11:07 AM
Good morning ladies,

I sound like a broken record. Cold but sunny. That's what you get when you live in Canada, but not as cold as mid-west.

Monique, you sure have had to do hoops and loops to get time off. I'm certain you will forget it all as you are transported to a warm climate, sitting on the beach sipping a really nice fruity drink, and taking a nap listening to the rolling waves. Ahh, I will be with you in thoughts.

Anita - how scary this whole episode in Michigan. It's a reminder of the ice storm of 1998, where power was lost for periods of up to 6-8 weeks. While the small area where I lived was spared, some friends in our community were without power for weeks. Our office had no power for 6 days. We we're ok but many were not. Many grocery stores lost food. This made me want to be self sufficient. I still want DH to spring for a house generator. We experienced no heat when our furnace was giving us problems a few years ago. Luckily we were able to turn on our gas fireplaces as we had power. I hope Carlie has had her furnace fixed.

Joy , I'm happy to see you are healing well. Just remember not to push yourself too soon.

Yesterday I washed our xmas quilt that bled red. After 3 washes and lots of products, it's all good. I also attached sashings and cornerstones to the heart quilt. I was going to cut the corners and setting triangles and decided to make paper version according to the teacher's instructions. Thank God, I did this. These would never have fit and I would have wasted fabric. I have figured the correct size to cut and I am writing all instructions down. Never will take a class from that person. I will let the shop owner know that.

Today, I will try to finish the main part of the quilt and need to decide on borders. I don't want it to be too big.

Enjoy your day. Stay warm and stay indoors if you don't need to brave the weather.

Looks like Old Man Winter is competing with Mother Nature to assert his superiority.

grammaterry
February 1st, 2019, 11:31 AM
Yesterday I went into town to continue my rug shopping. My cell phone hasn't been working well lately as it won't pick up a signal until I get into town (30 miles). When I got into Marshall, it blew up with text and voicemail. DH was trying to tell me I had left my purse on the counter. I was going to turn around but needed gas and of course, had no money. MY guy drove in and brought me my purse. What a guy.
Today I will try to get some tech support to see what is wrong with the darn phone.

Carlie Wolf
February 1st, 2019, 12:42 PM
Still waiting to hear from the furnace repair man that the part came in and he's coming. I have to say that sleeping in the kitchen is a bit of an inconvenience to say the least.

We got about two inches of snow last night and it's still snowing a little. Fortunately the temp is suppose to rise to near 60's by Sunday so I'm not concerned about shoveling. The kid next door is doing his driveway. Why bother???? It's only two inches!

baslp
February 1st, 2019, 12:54 PM
Good. Morning all. It’s 15 degrees and snowing lightly. I need to iron my quilt to take to the gal who does the quilting. I will pick up the wall hanging she just finished. I did not get much sewing done yesterday. I spent the morn at the vet ER. They checked her out and sent us home. Luckily she did not have maj bowel issues. . I
Barb— I am also on a quest to find a good bana bread recipe.
Joy— glad to hear that you are healing
Monique— have a great trip. Don’t forget the sunscreen
Anita—glad to hear that no fatalities with the explosion.
Suzanne— you make some amazing quilts.
Gramma terry— you have a special guy,!
Have a good day and stay warm
Beth

Rhonda K
February 1st, 2019, 01:06 PM
Good Morning,

Stitching a little here this morning. Letting the EMB machine quilt a backing for a table runner. Feels like cheating a little.

Warm thoughts to those going through the cold spells.

KPH
February 1st, 2019, 01:22 PM
Good Morning All,

I'm back from the eye dr. No changes noted, pressure in my eyes is concerning him. I was hoping to get all of the paperwork done for the vision rehab done, but nooooooooooo, they only do visual fields on Wed. and Fri. afternoon and I can't get an appointment for that until the 13th and I have to go back on the 14th to get the results. So, I'm pretty frustrated with my waste of time this morning. Oh well.

I called the window guy back after I got home... again. Still no trim for the two windows. Second, oh phooey of the day.

I think I'm going to wrap up in a quilt and sew some hexie flowers together and pout. lol. Naaaaaa, too much to do. First Friday, time to change the air filter. Time to switch the door hanging to my three little hearts. The floors need vacuuming and the furniture needs dusting. So, I best get started doing something constructive.

Stay warm and safe. Prayers for those in need for healing, comfort, strength, wisdom and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings. Prayers for travel mercies for those venturing out into the winter weather, even those heading for warmer climates!

PamelaOry
February 1st, 2019, 02:44 PM
Good morning All,

Things are pretty mellow here, still in the 40-50 temperature wise.

I spent yesterday cutting candy charms for a swap, I need 36 sets of 50, so quite a few. I’m really grateful for the accuquilt cutter, it made it so much less painful than it would have been otherwise. I got about half of them done, still need to work on cutting the rest today.

I need to keep working on the diamond star quilt I started, I don’t know why ,but I’m not enjoying sewing the blocks so I’ve been avoiding it. At this point I’m thinking I just want to do the minimum size and get it done.

I’m excited to get my name for the secret Santa swap, I have lots of ideas for gifts but want to wait until I know who I’m sewing for so I can taylor things.

JCY
February 1st, 2019, 03:59 PM
It's noon -- I'm back. This a.m. I removed the bandage off my hand. It was starting to itch under there. It sure felt good to take a shower. All I need to use now is a band aide to cover the incision, which is <1" long & has 3 sutures in it. The palm & wrist are very colorful with bruising. I'm using the wrist splint now that the bandage is off. The Tylenol early this a.m. was not adequate; I was having ^ pain, so I took one of the Tramadol tabs. As soon as I finished breakfast, I got settled in the recliner w/ice & elev. on pillows. It's feeling better. I'm still taking it easy. I see the dr. on the 8th.

Free shipping today for the DD, but there is nothing I really need or want. I haven't watched today's tutorial yet. Yest. I caught up on Bonnie Hunter's blog about her trip to Japan.

Well, I'm ready for a c. of coffee & a good book.