PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Monarch butterfly population UP!

kimsophia
February 1st, 2019, 02:34 AM
The population of monarch butterflies has more than doubled since last year...it is up 144% at their Mexican overwintering spots. They cover 6.05 hectares of forest.

The monarchs had ideal weather last year which helped, but you can also help this spring by planting milkweed for the caterpillars to eat! :)

https://monarchwatch.org/blog/2019/01/30/monarch-population-status-37/#respond

SuzanneOrleansOntario
February 1st, 2019, 10:29 AM
I'm happy to hear that. I hope some of them migrate northwards.

kimsophia
February 1st, 2019, 11:25 AM
I would love to see them roosting. The most I've ever seen in the fall is seven, between my garden and my neighbor's. Zinnia flowers are good food for the adults, as are asters, for fall migration energy...

I raised 30 caterpillars from eggs last year. The adults lay the eggs on the underside of the milkweed leaves in my gardens.

Carlie Wolf
February 1st, 2019, 12:44 PM
I only saw two last year but that was up from the last two years. We use to have a lot up in Canada. I love those little critters :-) I tried to plant some milkweed for them but unfortunately the seeds didn't take two years ago.

PamelaOry
February 1st, 2019, 02:51 PM
I have milkweed in my strawberry patch, I spent a couple years trying to pull it all out until I learned what it was for, now I let it come.

kimsophia
February 2nd, 2019, 12:13 AM
I only saw two last year but that was up from the last two years. We use to have a lot up in Canada. I love those little critters :-) I tried to plant some milkweed for them but unfortunately the seeds didn't take two years ago.

Many people have more luck with buying a plant. Personally I emptied a whole pod of seeds in the fall in my back yard and got only one plant the next year! Then after that all the seeds that one plant produced started popping up around my house. The seeds require cold stratification. If you are interested in growing milkweed from seed here is a web site: https://www.americanmeadows.com/blog/2015/06/11/how-to-germinate-and-grow-milkweed-seed/