PDA

View Full Version : It's Thursday

Monique
January 31st, 2019, 09:28 AM
Good morning friends. It is another cold day today. And the only Jan 31, 2019 you will ever see, :lol:

It is my second to last day of work for this week. Can't wait for the week to be over with. I stopped at Bonnie's last night to shovel more snow off the from deck and pick up the mail. There is just too much of it but I managed to make a good path to the front door. All good. I spoke with Rachel and explained about the key. She was touched.

I phoned a friend who lives close to the post office yesterday. She hasn't been well, but is on the mend. I will be having lunch with her tomorrow. I have some yarn that was Bonnie's to pass along to her. Lo and behold, she has some fabric for me, haha. Win win.

I should have one quarter of the quilt done, at least, by the end of the week. I usually start quilting in the middle, go straight left and right, and then up and down, thus dividing into into quarters. I find this method works best for me.

I made a request yesterday from Victoria' Quilts for a quilt for my niece. Approved and now I just have to go pick one up. We will give it to her on Monday when we try and arrange a visit before we leave.

And so that is what is happening here today and tomorrow. Saturday is Groundhog Day. Will he or won't he? Either way 6 more weeks of winter but I believe the worst is behind us.

Have a wonderful day friends, stay warm and stay safe no matter where you are. Looking at the forecast for next week, Tuesday is looking to be a great day to travel, the temperatures to be on the + side WOOHOO!!:icon_cool:

After Tuesday I will be off the grid basically. As far as I know we don't have free wifi which is fine. So the daily threads are all yours. I will try and check if and when I can. I will miss you all but will be thinking of you.

BethB
January 31st, 2019, 10:40 AM
Brrrrrr!!! It is a tad chilly here this morning. The lowest I saw the temp was -5F at around 6 a.m. That is the real temp, not windchill. When I took the dog out for his first walk, he literally hopped back inside on just 3 legs. It was just too cold for his little feet. A lot of the school districts are closed today, others are working on a 2-hour delay. I did leave my bathroom sink cabinet open and let the water trickle overnight as it has frozen in the past. No frozen pipes -- yippee!! I did not want that headache since I am here all by myself now.

I have not been away from the house since Monday because of the weather. I had lots of sewing/quilting/embroidery projects to work on but chose to read instead. As soon as I finish the current book, I will have to get busy with those projects.

Monique, have a great time on your trip to Cuba. It will be great to be in a warmer place!!

Joy, I hope your hand is healing nicely and not causing too much pain.

Stay warm everyone.

Nancy

KPH
January 31st, 2019, 10:43 AM
Good Morning All,

Well, I did it. I went and caught what the kiddos have been sneezing and blowing all over the house. Not much happening this morning. J goes to BSF and then he'll come after lunch. Hopefully by then, I'll be perking better than I am right now. Of course, a couple of cups of coffee will help.

I finished a couple of small projects yesterday. Had Mike take me back to Walmart, where I left my list notebook. I'm glad the manager had it in her office. I guess I need to fix a strap for it to hang around my neck. This is the second time I've left it at Walmart at the check out.

J decided yesterday that he wanted to write lyrics to a new Christmas carol. So we pulled out the little music harp I bought for them and picked out a tune and started working on the words. It's going to be the most original version of the tune... Take me out to the Ball Game, you've ever heard. He's got the first four lines done, and I guess we'll move on from there today.

Time to get this place straightened up, from the kitchen to the sewing room there's piles of this and that, that need to be put away since I worked late on a few things. Have a great day and stay warm!

Prayers for those in need for healing, comfort, strength, wisdom and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

grammaterry
January 31st, 2019, 10:51 AM
Monique, travel well. The weather is suppose to be wonderful by Tuesday here in the southern states so hopefully Cuba will be a virtual heat wave. Cant wait to hear your tales of travel.
For those of you suffering thru those negative temps, stay warm
Joy, if you are reading this, stay warm and heal fast.
Katrina, enjoy that youngun's creativity. Sounds like fun.
Finished that bear of a quilt yesterday so I'm a blank slate this morning. I might try cutting out the next project. Its cold here too but I count my blesssings that we are just single digits and nt in negative territory

baslp
January 31st, 2019, 10:54 AM
Good morning. It’s frigid here but the wind is not howling. I hope to stay home and start cutting the pieces for my new quilt.
Right now I am on hold with the pet poison control center. Our pug ate 65 chews to help anal glads. Well I am off to the emergency room .

Have a good day
Beth

Bubby
January 31st, 2019, 11:00 AM
Hi Everyone...Day two of the Polar Vortex 2019. Our snow is gone but it's colder than cold. The Girls are all napping, Jeff is at work and I need to start my day.

I lost (misplaced) my banana bread recipe some time ago. I found two recipes on Pinterest that sound good. I plan to make a loaf of each today and let Jeff decide which he prefers or if I need to keep on looking at recipes. One bread uses melted butter and buttermilk and the other uses brown and white sugar and after the bread is baked you sprinkle some brown sugar on top. We have an abundance of extra ripe bananas right now that need to be used today.

It is supposed to warm up a lot tomorrow and Saturday will be in the 60s...can you believe that! That's a good thing because we have to go to the apartments Saturday.

Joy, I hope your hand is on the mend without much discomfort. I know you hate being inactive.

Wishing everyone a great day....with hugs...

JulieC
January 31st, 2019, 11:01 AM
Good morning! It's another cold day here, with windchills as low as -22. Mail service was not canceled in my city yesterday, I felt terrible for our mail carrier. They were all bundled up. Garbage collection was cancelled this week. I saw the announcement on the City's website after I put the the cans out. :icon_doh: I am going to enjoy my morning cup of tea before I bundle up to bring them back in.

The fabric I ordered came yesterday. That was a happy surprise! I had tracked the package in the morning; the website said it was in Michigan somewhere and wouldn't be delivered until Monday. :icon_beuj: I made a couple of sample of blocks, and put the Monster through her paces. She is purring like a kitten, the cost for repairs was well spent!

Monique: saying prayers for your niece.
Nancy: stay warm, I'm glad your pipes are ok.
Katrina: I hope you feel better soon!

Have a wonderful day!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
January 31st, 2019, 11:01 AM
Good morning ladies,

Oh it's still cold. I think some areas of the continent and the UK have been getting blasted with snow and this polar vortex, like we are not seeing here. I have seen lots of accidents in the US states and blizzard conditions in our mid-west. I hope that everyone is keeping warm and protected from this one. I know that our shelters are full as a result of this cold.

Yesterday DH & I went to a chinese buffet for lunch to celebrate the Chinese New Year year of the dog (that's his oldest son Jean-Eric). Then I visited mom, while searching the bins for the new clothes that I had sent to be labelled. Found them. I then went for a manicure. What a treat. I picked a nice red for Valentine.

Then I worked on log cabin hearts & finished the last blocks, started adding sashings & cornerstones. DH worked on putting his elephant quilt together. He is rusty. He made the classic mistakes, attaching the wrong blocks and rows together, seams that didn't attach both fabrics, pressing with pleats. He also appliqued the elephants to the WSF. I said he needs to get going on making other quilts. He agreed.

Today, going to avoid going out and continue sewing.

Enjoy your day and stay warm. Stay indoors if you don't need to go out. It's brutal especially if you are not familiar with this type of cold. mSN- how thoughtful of you to hand out gloves and caps. God bless all the workers that must brave this weather.

Cathy F
January 31st, 2019, 11:05 AM
Morning all,

The bitter cold has hit Long Island, woke up to 5 degrees. I'm enjoying my morning coffee sitting in the sunroom with the sun shining on me trying to pretend it's not really that cold outside. Today will be a good day for some homemade soup.

Not a lot of sewing going on here even though I've got a pile of UFO's in the sewing room. Did work on a few things on the embroidery machine yesterday as I love doing those projects.

Monique, glad you're able to get away to sunshine and warmth.
Joy, hope you recovery is going smoothly, and pain is lessened each day.

Wishing all a good day, stay warm and be safe if you must be out in the cold.

auntstuff
January 31st, 2019, 11:21 AM
Are you THIS cold?

http://content.invisioncic.com/r226181/monthly_2019_01/image.thumb.png.d92b3eca7faa6b6bccd368119e5fe1a6.p ng

JCY
January 31st, 2019, 12:53 PM
Good Morning ~ Just now getting here. Rather than mess w/plastic bag to cover my hand, I just put on a disp. glove over my drsg. & took a sponge bath & washed my hair in the sink. I slept better last night. I'm still taking (alternating) my pain Rx & Ibuprofen. Tylenol in the middle of the night, since I can take that on an empty stomach. The pain in my R hand where I had the cortisone shot is gone, & it feels much better. I can remove the bandage on my L hand tomorrow at noon & use just a band aide. Only showers are allowed till after I see the dr. on the 8th

We're managing meals & dishes ok. I was able to do DH's medical procedure yest. a.m. with help from DH for the set-up. I should be able to do it all once the bandage comes off.

I really miss being able to sew. But in order to piece I have to be able to use the rotary cutter, & that's a no-no now. So...I'm getting lots of reading done.

Both DS #1 & #2 called me yest. for a good chat. Well, it's time for my breakfast.

PamelaOry
January 31st, 2019, 01:55 PM
Good Morning,

All is quiet here. Heard from the groomer this am that she threw her back out so no grooming for Ellie today. I might call around and try to find her another apt. She really needs it.

I had a massage yesterday and it was good. She really worked on increasing my range of motion, it was more therapeutic than relaxing, but was just what my poor tense body needed. I’m sore today but it’s the good kind.

Ginny B
January 31st, 2019, 02:21 PM
Just a quick stop here to say hi and see what everyone is up to. Hopefully staying warm. My California family got to experience 5 degrees with wind chills below zero. Steve and Ana were like Oh My Goodness and Zeke thought it was great fun putting on the new jacket, warm hat and mittens that Oma brought for him and he got to ride in a glass elevator and take the Air Train back to where the car was parked (their flight wound up coming into Terminal 2 when it was supposed to be at Terminal 4 -- which was where I parked). There were a couple other hitches in their trip (got a phone call at 2:15 to let me know that they were stuck in Seattle for a bit) but in the end everything worked out and their luggage even arrived with them which is a true miracle.

Joy, I am glad that your recovery seems to be going well. You will be back to sewing in no time. Meanwhile, enjoy your books.

And, since everyone is taking a bit of a nap right now, I think I'll go read for a bit myself. Stay warm and safe everyone.

Carlie Wolf
January 31st, 2019, 03:33 PM
I lost my heat last night around 11:30PM. I hunkered down after shutting the door to the upstairs bathroom with it's gas wall unit on. My kitchen has a gas unit with 3 panels so that was turned on. I closed off the rest of the house, pulled my downstairs twin bed into the kitchen and closed off the rooms leading to the kitchen except on one that leads from the kitchen. Turned the thermostat off because the vents were plowing very cold air though them. The vent fan never turned off all night. I kept my fingers crossed that the pipes in the basement wouldn't burst so I didn't get much sleep worrying. Carlie was not happy I didn't realize how often she inspects the house rooms so she whined mostly.

Landlord got it back on this morning and the guy ordered a part which should come tomorrow. Turns out the heat shut down again and it looks like no furnace heat until the guy puts in the new part tomorrow. I turned the water to the house off in the basement and filled some large pots and bathtub up with water for the toilets if needed.

Why does this stuff happen on the COLDEST days of the year! <SIGN> Thank god for gas wall units.

geegeequilts
January 31st, 2019, 03:41 PM
Monique, be safe on your vacation but make sure you ENJOY the sunshine. See you when you return.

Gina

Bubby
January 31st, 2019, 04:10 PM
I lost my heat last night around 11:30PM. I hunkered down after shutting the door to the upstairs bathroom with it's gas wall unit on. My kitchen has a gas unit with 3 panels so that was turned on. I closed off the rest of the house, pulled my downstairs twin bed into the kitchen and closed off the rooms leading to the kitchen except on one that leads from the kitchen. Turned the thermostat off because the vents were plowing very cold air though them. The vent fan never turned off all night. I kept my fingers crossed that the pipes in the basement wouldn't burst so I didn't get much sleep worrying. Carlie was not happy I didn't realize how often she inspects the house rooms so she whined mostly.

Landlord got it back on this morning and the guy ordered a part which should come tomorrow. Turns out the heat shut down again and it looks like no furnace heat until the guy puts in the new part tomorrow. I turned the water to the house off in the basement and filled some large pots and bathtub up with water for the toilets if needed.

Why does this stuff happen on the COLDEST days of the year! <SIGN> Thank god for gas wall units.

How awful for you! I'm praying you will be safe and as warm as possible through the night and that the repair man comes to your house early. ((HUGS)))

SuzanneOrleansOntario
January 31st, 2019, 10:41 PM
Are you THIS cold?

http://content.invisioncic.com/r226181/monthly_2019_01/image.thumb.png.d92b3eca7faa6b6bccd368119e5fe1a6.p ng

Too funny, unless of course your heat goes off.

Poor Carlie, I hope your furnace gets fixed soon, and you are able to catch some sleep.