PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Trivia: St. Bernard

Star lover
January 30th, 2019, 08:14 AM
St. Bernard of Montjoux (aka Bernard of Menthon) was an 11th-century priest in the Aosta region of the Italian Alps.

Because traversing the mountains was a grueling and potentially dangerous endeavor, Bernard commissioned the construction of two hospices where travelers and pilgrims on their way to Rome and the Holy Land could find food, shelter and treatment for injuries sustained on their journeys.

The strong, brave dogs that helped monks at the hospices rescue endangered travelers were named in his honor, and today St. Bernard is considered the patron saint of mountaineers and skiers.

PamelaOry
January 30th, 2019, 08:58 AM
Fascinating! I had no idea they were named after a saint. Makes perfect sense now that I think about it. Thank you!

chelea
January 30th, 2019, 02:09 PM
We've had 2 beautiful St. Bernard dogs. Very sweet personalities. Ours thought they were lap dogs.

URIBARRI-MAYOR
January 30th, 2019, 04:20 PM
I love your thread I read it every day and I learned very curious things, thanks

JCY
January 30th, 2019, 10:41 PM
Ahh, reminders of the day DH proposed to me out on the front lawn at our friends' house. Their big St. Bernard dog, "Nana", sat near by & looked on.