• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monique
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2011

It's Hump Day

Good morning friends. No frozen pipes this morning, yippee. 3 more working days left. Well we (I) found a replacement for the post office. Everyone is relieved. I had agreed to work the 22nd but I forgot about Philip's birthday so today I will have to tell the boss I can't work that day as I have a previous engagement.

I am making good progress on the butterfly quilt. I thought I had a picture of it somewhere but I can't find it right now. I shall continue on with that project.

Quite a lot of snow fell yesterday. I am tired of shoveling all this snow. I will leave early this morning and go shovel at Bonnie's. This I will NOT miss while away.

Have a great day everyone.

Joy, I do hope you are taking it easy.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!
  • Carol336
    Missouri Star
    • May 2013

Re: It's Hump Day

Good morning Monique. Congrats on the pipes not freezing...nice way to start your day. Sorry you gotta shovel though!!!! Come on Cuba!!!!!

On Sunday afternoon a friend called and ask me if I would make her an Everyday Bag and she needs it by next Sunday. Well sure I say - it's gonna be too cold to go out - so I'll just crank out this bag in no time. NOT!!! Texted her some fabric choices Sunday night and was all set to hit the floor running on Monday morning. On Monday DH wanted to go to the movies to see Stan and Ollie. No problem - I've got all week. Movie was slow starting out, but ended up being pretty good. They had such a beautiful friendship.

After lunch I hit the sewing room. Got everything for the bag cut out with no problem....everything from my stash. Got all the Fusible interfacing/batting in place. All ready to put it together on Tuesday.

Tuesday - made my straps, quilted the body of the bag and got the front pocket made and sewn on and then tragedy hit . I opened a black pen to make a note on my pattern and the danged thing exploded all over my bag - oh and did I mention the bag is Yellow and pink. Dh heard me scream and was afraid to come see what happened. Oh Lord - I had no room for error since it was all from stash and my yardage amounts were limited....no mistakes could happen. I tried everything to get it out - but everything I did just seemed to smear it worse.

Off to the quilt store - DH drove me because I was in such a snit I would have been a menace on the road - LOL.

Luckily I still had a piece left of the pocket material to make another one and that was the one fabric that she had picked out - phew!!! Had to go a totally different route with the coordinating fabrics - but after much decision I found something I think I might even like better so we shall see. I at least got back (with the new fabric) to exactally where I was before the explosion yesterday. Hopefully today I can get the rest done and get rid of this danged project.

This danged bag is going to end up costing me more than I'm gonna get for it now!!! Grrrr.
    Last edited by Carol336; January 30, 2019, 03:21 AM.

Comment

• Monique
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2011

Awww I hope it goes better for you today.
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• Star lover
        Missouri Star
        • Apr 2016

Good morning friends!

Last edited by Star lover; March 12, 2022, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• PamelaOry
          Applique Angel
          • Jan 2019

Good morning everyone!

Thinking of Joy and her surgery and hoping today brings continued healing.

Carrol I can’t even imagine how frustrated you must have been! I’m glad your hubs was around to drive you and that you like the replacement fabric. Whew. At least there is that.

Monique only 3 days then no snow for a while, yippee!

Anita, I can’t even imagine what it must be like to have weather that shuts down the post. It was 50’s and sunny here yesterday. It’s a little disconcerting...all the extreme and different weather everywhere. I’d welcome a little of the cold snap you guys are having. My backyard birds are confused and have started nesting behaviors already. I’m like wait! I still need to clear the boxes from last year.

I read through my attorneys brief yesterday and gave them a call. It turns out my case will be reviewed by a judge after all, yippee! I was so relieved to know that someone with decision making power is going to read what happened. The original alj’s decision is so biased, he arbitrarily threw out all testimony in my favor, disregarded every doctors opinion in my case, and even disregarded my own testimony, basically saying that my own testimony about my own experience was untrustworthy. I still have months of waiting ahead of me but now there is a small glimmer of hope.

We used the instapot to make split pea soup yesterday and it was delicious! Took about 1/2 hr. With warm up and cool down time, maybe 40 minutes to be generous. It was just as good as when I crock pot it in the slow cooker.

Everyone stay warm and safe today!
          Pam

Comment

• JulieC
            Missouri Star
            • Dec 2016

Good morning! Glad to hear Michigan cancelled the mail today, I wondered how the postal workers would handle all the cold. My employer is closed today and tomorrow, as is most of NE Ohio. One of the local news sites has 645 closings listed. The headline said we will not have mail today, either, then I read they won't be delivering to zip codes that start with 441. My zip code starts 440. That's confusing! I hope our local postal workers don't have to be out in this.

I am looking forward to having two free days. One of my friends was laughing at me yesterday, I was so excited over the possibility of a snow day. But I told her: the weekends are all about gotta. Gotta clean the house, gotta do the laundry, gotta go grocery shopping, etc. Snow days are rare, guilt free days that can be spent doing what I want to do. I hear the sewing room calling my name, I just need to decide which project to work on. The project I'm itching to start will have to wait another week or so, the fabric I ordered won't be here until Monday (at the earliest).

Monique: Cuba sounds so wonderfully warm right now, I hope you have a wonderful time.
            Glad to hear Joy's surgery went well, I hope she has a speedy recovery.
            Carol: sorry to hear about the ink mishap! I don't think I could ever make something on order, it sounds like it can get stressful.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day. Stay warm and safe!

Comment

• Bubby
              Missouri Star
              • Jun 2011

Good Morning Everyone,

Monique, I'm counting down the days until your vacation with you. Sunny days are ahead!!

We got blasted with snow and the arctic vortex last night. The last I heard we were at -21 degrees. Our porch thermometer doesn't go that low.

Joy, be sure to keep your hand iced.

Carol...oooooh, no! So sorry you had an ink event but glad you were able to get more fabric. I had an ink event last week and so did Jeff...it must be going around.

I'm out of here for now...Jeff is leaving for work all bundled up like the Michelin tire guy!

Hugs....Barb
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• KPH
                Missouri Star
                • Feb 2015

Monique, I'm excited for you!

Carol, I know about pen explosions... mine happened as I was walking my students to music class and the pen was behind my ear. Oh what a mess. It was one of those nights when we had plans after school and couldn't go all the way home to change. I had to go to a barber shop to have my hair washed and styled and stop at a shop to pick up a new blouse all in the 30 minutes while my kids were in music. I'm so glad you found a good substitute for the fabric!

It's way too cold up north for me! But the nice thing about the cold is it makes for good sewing weather.

We went out yesterday, picked up backing for the shamrock and Lysol. I think it's too late. I got up with a sore throat this morning. I have no idea when J will arrive and I'm not getting a lot done to prepare for him. We'll see what we get done.

I left the bandaid off of my finger last night so it could air a little. I wrapped it back up this morning with some more neosporin. It doesn't look that bad, but I don't want to hit it on something and mess up the progress it's made.

Time for coffee and a little planning. Prayers for those in need for healing, strength, comfort, wisdom and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.
                Katrina
                From NC, retired in FL
                “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• JCY
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jul 2013

Good Morning ~ I gave an update in the other thread. It's 11 deg. & frost. To be clear, sunny, & 40's. Such dangerous cold for those affected by the polar vortex. DS #1 in MD is working from home today; they left work 2 hr. early yest. b/c of bad weather coming in. Rush hr. traffic in the D.C. area is so bad anyway. It's time to go rest.

Comment

• Ginny B
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jan 2012

Good morning all. It's a cold one here but not as cold as some of you are experiencing. Monique, so glad your pipes didn't freeze. Anita and Julie, that is just crazy cold. I am glad they cancelled the mail deliveries. I always worry about our mailman when we have such bad weather. I don't think it will get to that point here although the temps will get pretty cold over the next few days. And Julie, I totally understand your views on the difference between two weekend days and two snow days. Definitely a totally different feel. Barb, I hope Jeff is able to stay nice and warm today.

Carol, so sorry to hear about your marker accident. I am glad you found replacement material you are happy with and hopefully the rest of the project goes smoothly. Pam, I have been thinking about an Instapot. Glad your pea soup came out so good. I may have to give it further consideration. Katrina, I missed what happened to your finger, but I hope it heals quickly.

Joy, I am glad to hear your surgery went well and I hope you have a speedy recovery and I will continue to keep you and your hubby in my prayers.

Well, it is time to get myself moving along. This time tomorrow, the house will be filled with the sounds of a 2 year old. I have things to get ready since yesterday I didn't get much accomplished at all. I spent a lot of time curled up in my chair thinking about Boo and Johnny and crying. I need to get myself together and be strong for Johnny now. He will be here tomorrow and there is an outside chance he may decide to get himself out of his house and come down today. We will see.

Prayers for all who need them. Keep warm and safe everyone.
                    Ginny B
                    Levittown, NY

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                      Missouri Star
                      • Aug 2015

Good morning everyone,

The colder it gets, the slower I move. I'm not feeling the need to get going as quickly. I really feel bad for those states like Michigan, Ohio, MO and Cdn provinces who are getting hit with this exceptionally deep freeze. We are not as bad but we did get another 10" of snow Monday night and Tuesday. I helped DH, I cleared the front steps and walkway while he used the snowblower. He is using it this morning to clear the hump the city left at the bottom of the driveway. I just don't know where we are going to put it all. It will be awhile before we see the grass.

Yesterday was a snow day for me. No appointments or errands to run. I sewed and posted in another thread my progress on log cabin hearts. DH sewed the applique elephants on his GS quilt. He persevered and got it done. Sadly when I looked at his work, they are all stitched to the white background on the wrong side. Oh well. At least he was consistent with all the elephants. It will pass. While he blames on bad lighting, I think he needs cataract surgery sooner than later.

Today, I will get my first ride in his new wheels. We will go to the restaurant to celebrate Chinese New Year. I will visit mom and pay her caregiver companion. I hope to get to the sewing room.

Monique - ah you deserve a nice, hot holiday. My daughter and her family are also leaving on Sunday for Domican Rep.
                      Joy - I read your posts. I'm glad you went through surgery well. Take it slow and you will recover faster.
                      Katrina - ouch. Glad your finger is healing.
                      Carol - Oooo. Hate it when that happens. DH opened a bottle of black shoe polish the other day, and it exploded everywhere.
                      Anita - I hear your snow removal and neighbour frustrations. Our house is on a corner. The neighbour on the street side of fence, snow lows all his snow on our property. Sometimes he has chunks that hit our fence. There's no fixing 'inconsiderate'.
                      Pamela- I hope that you get your fair date in court. It's very frustrating. I had an issue about 20 yrs ago, where I had to get legal counsel to get what I was owed. I did in the end, but the stress of it left a bad taste. When I had 2 concussuons 7-8 years ago, I did not even want to go on sick leave and apply for disability benefits just because of the negative experience. I took a penalty and retired.
                      Ginny - enjoy your visit.

Have a good day. Stay warm. Stay indoors if you can. Stay dry. Be safe if you must brave the elements.
                      Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• MSN
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2017

I would love to have some snow days, but chose the wrong career for that. Health care workers are needed round the clock, so off to work I went this morning. It was -27, the coldest weather Minneapolis has experienced in more than 20 years. It's supposed to get even colder tonight, but with less wind. And then it's supposed to warm up considerably for the weekend.

Every day this week, I have started a patient on Oxaliplatin, a chemo drug that causes extreme neuropathy with exposure to cold. I cannot imagine how brutal it would be to have to face the polar vortex while on that drug. A couple of months ago, Menards (a home improvement store) was selling ski gloves for $1.99 a pair. I purchased a dozen and brought in to work. Gave most of them away this week, along with stocking caps. If you are so inclined, please offer up a prayer for my brave Veteran patients.

Comment

Working...
                        X