PDA

View Full Version : Update on carpal tunnel surgery today

JCY
January 29th, 2019, 10:52 PM
I'm hunting & pecking w/my R hand. I was at the surgery center only 2 hrs. The actual surgery takes <15 min. I have a 1/2" incision in my L palm & a large bandage which has to stay on for 72 hrs. While I was "out", the dr. injected cortisone in my R hand for a painful trigger finger. That hand is sore, too. What takes all the time is the pre-op work, starting an IV, paper work, etc., then the recovery which went quicker than I expected. I'm supposed to keep my hand elevated & iced for 48 hrs. So I'll be spending a lot of time in the recliner w/my hand on pillows.

Time will tell how the night goes. I plan to take a pain pill before going to bed. So far I've taken only Ibuprofen & Acetaminophen. My hand was numb for several hrs. I needed help to get dressed! Couldn't do buttons or even pull up my jeans. I switched to sweat pants after I got home. DH helped me w/lunch. I think I'll be able to manage my supper ok. Two friends have called to check on me. The first time, I dropped the phone on the floor (numbness).

I appreciate all the thoughts & prayers. Please continue to pray for us -- good healing & no complications for me & stress relief for DH. He gets so anxious in these situations.

PamelaOry
January 29th, 2019, 11:02 PM
Great news! Thanks for the update.

Mom23
January 29th, 2019, 11:04 PM
Oh Joy, I’ve been thinking of you all day. I kept asking Jesus to put his hand on your husband’s shoulder to keep him calm and worry free. I didn’t realize the surgery was so short. It sounds like you came through it well. Follow doctors orders and you’ll be sewing again in no time. Now I’ll pray for a good nights sleep for both of you. Thanks for checking in.

Caroline T.
January 29th, 2019, 11:16 PM
Good to know you're on the mend, but in the mean time take it easy, don't try to do too much too soon, and take your friends up on any offers to assist, especially meal prep and vacuuming (always take up offers of vacuuming even if you don't need the help LOL)

Anitamae56
January 29th, 2019, 11:34 PM
I have thought of you many times today, you are a very strong person. I wish I was closer I would love to come help you. Stay safe, and get a good nights rest.

chelea
January 30th, 2019, 12:11 AM
So happy it went well today Joy. Take care of yourself.

Simply Quilting
January 30th, 2019, 12:21 AM
Glad to hear things went well today. Please rest and don't try to do anything with your left hand for a while until the doctor says to. My friend's hands and arms let her know everytime she does something that she should not do. Prayers that you heal quickly.

Cathy F
January 30th, 2019, 12:21 AM
Joy, glad your surgery is behind you and hope you have a quick recovery. Hugs to you.

Angelia
January 30th, 2019, 12:54 AM
Best wishes!

sewbizzy
January 30th, 2019, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the update...I was thinking about you today...I hope you get a good night's sleep...I had carpal tunnel surgery about 18 years ago...I'm sure the procedure is much refined...praying for you to have a great healing process.

jjkaiser
January 30th, 2019, 01:54 AM
Hooray, the surgery is now behind you. Sending good vibes your way.

bajasadie
January 30th, 2019, 02:17 AM
prayers for you... and DH. 81 yr mom going thru extreme painful sciatica.... waiting for cortisone epidural .... life gets tough in later years. take care...obey the dr!

bubba
January 30th, 2019, 02:25 AM
Heal up and make sure you don't overdo it! I know what you mean about pull up pants. When I had a nerve released in my elbow, I signed a book of checks ahead of time and also bought pull up pants. It was fun going to Target and having to pee, because my then teenaged daughter would have to go in with me to pull them up! Otherwise I looked like a little kid with them all twisted up. She really hated it which made it so much better!

Monique
January 30th, 2019, 06:07 AM
Joy I am happy to hear it went well. NOW, don't do anything you shouldn't. Take all the help that is offered to you. I hope you had a good night.

Carol336
January 30th, 2019, 06:40 AM
Joy - I had you on my mind all day yesterday. Unfortunately I hit the sack before your update. Anyway - so glad to hear you did so well. I will keep praying for your quick, painfree recovery and no stress for DH. We love ya girlfriend!!!

MRoy
January 30th, 2019, 06:53 AM
I'm glad your surgery went well and I hope you had a restful night. Follow doctor's orders and take good care of yourself.

Star lover
January 30th, 2019, 07:58 AM
Joy, I’m so thankful that the surgery went well. I’ll keep both you and your DH in my prayers. Love and hugs!

Bubby
January 30th, 2019, 09:03 AM
I'm so glad to hear that all went well and you are safely back home. The recovery time is usually uneventful. You will have more trouble not using your hand than from pain. I recall missing very little work when I had mine done.

Hugs from all of us....157397

KPH
January 30th, 2019, 10:04 AM
Glad things went well. Praying for you and your DH while you heal.

Rhonda K
January 30th, 2019, 10:26 AM
Special thoughts for you and your DH as you heal. May you soon return to your normal schedule.

MissMay in Jersey
January 30th, 2019, 10:39 AM
Whew, the surgery is over and all went well. I know it will be difficult but take it easy and follow doctor's orders.

grammaterry
January 30th, 2019, 10:56 AM
hope you got a great night sleep.

JCY
January 30th, 2019, 11:27 AM
Good Morning ~ Thanks for all the good wishes & prayers. My L. hand was hurting pretty bad when I got up at 2 a.m. I took some medicine. It took awhile to get back to sleep. I'll hang out in the recliner today & keep it elevated with ice on my hand. At least my R hand doesn't hurt as bad as yest. where I had the cortisone injection. Last eve. I was able to fix my reg. supper. I wore a glove on my L hand, so I managed to do the dishes w/o getting my bandage wet. Now we'll see if I can wash my hair this a.m. I'll do it in the sink.

Barb, love the pic you posted. Thanks.

Navy Wife
January 30th, 2019, 12:06 PM
Glad to hear it all went well. I've not had Carpal Tunnel surgery, but have had several trigger finger release surgeries. Do ice and keep your hand elevated as much as possible. I'm always amazed at how quickly hands heal.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
January 30th, 2019, 12:07 PM
I'm glad to hear that your surgery went well, and that you are able to do some things. Take it easy.

Don't push yourself, and don't feel bad about accepting help. I know it's in your nature to help others, but be willing to allow reciprocation. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

URIBARRI-MAYOR
January 30th, 2019, 04:18 PM
Thank you for telling us that your operation was fast and well, now to take care of yourself and do what the doctor orders, although it is difficult because you are such an active person

geegeequilts
January 31st, 2019, 03:34 PM
Joy, try saying to your DH that "we'll get thru this...one minute then the next..." Before you know it you're back to sewing/quilting & DH (& you) will worry less.

Glad to see you back even with the hunting/pecking, lol,

Gina

Tracie T
January 31st, 2019, 07:04 PM
Good to hear from you Joy! I've been praying for you.