PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday hellos!!

Monique
January 29th, 2019, 08:44 AM
Good morning friends. I have been a busy beaver already this morning. I was up at 3:30. I had to use the facilities and discovered that the water was frozen. OYE!!!! It didn't take long to thaw out (I have devised a contraption to use - two broom handles taped together with a hair dryer taped to the end, long enough to reach where the pipes freeze). THEN I discovered that my washing machine is full of water (all by itself, mind you). Shut the water off to the washer and proceeded to empty the water by a little wee hose in the bottom of the washer. Took a while but it is now emptied.

More snow fell through the night and I think there may be more coming today. 7 sleeps till Cuba.

I had a good day at work. Quilting away on the butterfly quilt. Did I mention only 7 sleeps till Cuba. :)

Have a great day everyone. Stay warm.

Star lover
January 29th, 2019, 08:57 AM
Good morning forum friends!

Only 7 more days.......and then toasty warm, sunny days! So happy for you! Sad about your frozen pipes and mystery washer.......funny how stuff happens. Hopefully it’ll behave itself while you’re gone. Looking forward to seeing your butterfly quilt!

Haven’t figured out the “official” snow totals, but it looked like about 6”, of good snowman snow. Although I had no energy after shoveling it all, to make anything! Including dinner. I just finished shoveling when DH came home. I was soooo thankful for leftovers!

It warmed up to 32’ and then the temps have dropped. So not looking forward to breaking records for the lows and the low highs! I’m thankful for a furnace that works! -19, Wednesday night (without windchill). And then......a high of 42’ on Sunday, with rain all day. Go figure! It lasts 1 day and then back to the deep freeze. Feels like a yo-yo!

Been contiplating the next quilt.....so many ideas.....I’ll figure it out and then onto more sewing! Yeah!
Hope everyone is safe, warm and doing something they love.

Prayers for Joy this am, her surgery is later today. Love and hugs .......y’all have a wonderful day!

Bubby
January 29th, 2019, 09:15 AM
Good Morning...Our temperature is supposed to drop into the single digits or lower tonight. I called our tenants to let them know about this and I can only pray that all will be well there with the pipes. We will also move the pups beds away from the exterior wall into the middle of the living room, maybe even into our bed if the furnace can't keep us warm.

Monique, you will have toasty toes in just one week...so happy for you and Les. Have enough fun for all of us!

I'm cooking chicken breasts for the pups' food this morning. I just have to shred and package it for the freezer. Dottie got sick in the middle of the night and had to go outdoors for quite some time. I was a popsicle by the time we got back inside. I gave her a good dose of Kaopectate and wrapped her in my robe and tucked her into bed with us and she slept the rest of the night.

I'm of to start my day. Maggie is yodeling and that usually means she needs her Mom.

Have a good day everyone...hugs...

baslp
January 29th, 2019, 09:21 AM
Good morning. It’s 28 degrees now and rain moves in later this afternoon. I am going to tutor my Japanese ladies this morn and then going to meet a friend for lunch. I am bringing an article about the the book by a Japanese gal who has method of declutter it.

I bought an air fryer over the holidays. I almost returned i, and now I am so glad I did not do this. I made meatballs last night in it. Even my DH is impressed with this appliance.

Have a good day and stay warm.
Beth

KPH
January 29th, 2019, 09:22 AM
Good Morning All,

Only 7 more sleeps, huh! I know you're getting excited!

Anita, I think I'd be making sure Monique has a steamer trunk to take with her to Cuba if I were you. More leg room that way.

Yesterday was family dinner. Nothing fancy, a small boneless ham, and heat and serve sides. I couldn't believe how much Zeke and Esther ate after eating all morning here. I didn't even bake cookies, bought some at the store when we went grocery shopping. That was a painful trip, but I haven't stocked up since early Dec. so it was a necessary trip.

Friday is my eye exam to check for glaucoma, as if RP wasn't enough. I'll take the paperwork for mobility training to be filled out. Hopefully they'll be able to fill it out while I'm there and I can get it in the mail.

The plan was to go to Joann's after the kids left for their meeting right after dinner, but with 2 sickies, and Mom that has been on and off duty every other day, the kids stuck around longer. So I still need to find something for the back of my shamrock. lol, it's not like I need it tomorrow. So maybe today, or maybe not I'll get there. It was nice to do something other than hexies for a few days.

Well, Jim just called. The kids will be here around 9 so Morgan can go to the women's Bible Study at church. She went to bed last night after they got the kids down and woke up around 5, she's had a good night's sleep! So, I'd best get started getting ready for them.

Prayers for those in need for healing, comfort, strength, wisdom, and hope. Prayers for all of our many blessings.

JCY
January 29th, 2019, 10:08 AM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ I guess this will be my last check-in prior to surgery. I'm allowed to have some Gatorade 4 hrs. prior, so I'll have a sip when I get off here. Yest. I finished up the quilt top & even had time to cut & piece the backing. So that will be ready & waiting until I can sew again.

Monique ~ Frozen pipes. No fun. Hair dryers work great for defrosting. I always use mine when I defrost the freezer to get the last of the ice off the top grill. Before you leave for Cuba, make sure to turn off the faucets to your washer & leave your cupboard doors open so the warm air can get to the pipes. When DH & I were first married, we lived in a mobile home. There are heat tapes one can use to wrap around pipes to prevent freezing.

I have 1 last load of laundry in the washer. I decided to wash the 2 fleece throws that I use when resting in my recliner.

Time to fix DH's breakfast. I'll post again when I'm able. Thanks for all the thoughts & prayers for my surgery.

KarenC
January 29th, 2019, 10:31 AM
Good morning everyone. All this talk about freezing pipes reminds me of when our pipes froze and bust. We were out of town for a wedding. Luckily I called a neighbor and had him shut off the water to my home and another neighbor's or it could have been a lot worse. I've never believed in letting water drip all night, in case of a fire no water pressure, so my Dad always tough me to shut off water outside and drainot the pipes. My DH thought I was crazy, but we never had frozen pipes again.

Monique, you will so enjoy that warm weather when you get to Cuba.

I have finished the quilting on niece's quilt, so now I'm working on determining the layout for a t-shirt quilt. Today I have my last class for the Poppins bag. I hope it doesn't take all day. Did not sleep well last night, so may need a nap later.

I best get moving before I am tardy for class. Wishing you all warmer weather.

grammaterry
January 29th, 2019, 11:24 AM
best wishes Joy. You'll be in and out in no time
Monique, I know you are very excited. It was so nice of Anita to post the Cuba info. Now we can all dream
Yesterday, we went into town to get MIL settled back into her house. SHe is aging rapidly. Heart function at 20% but the rehab seems to have given her a lift. I think she is ready to move into an assisted living place. We will start visiting them in a week or so.
I needed a new "mud" rug for in front of the wood stove. Went to Walmart. I thought a 2x6 runner. My goodness. They wanted a minimum of $25 for ugly poorly made ones. I came home and went on Amazon. Still may be poorly made but $13 with free shipping. I ordered a color that will NOT go in the living room presently but that I thought I might be interested in when I buy a new area rug and thought this would be a good audition rug.
I've played with Caroline T's rulers and find it does good work. Slower than FMQ but prideful. I'll work somemore today as we just looked out the window and big fluffy snow flakes are falling. OH my...Temp will probably drop quickly.

MissMay in Jersey
January 29th, 2019, 11:55 AM
157379Thinking of you Joy.

Navy Wife
January 29th, 2019, 11:56 AM
The snow has come here. We have about 2 inches, and still coming down. It is always so peaceful and quiet when snow falls! It won't last long as the sun is supposed to be out shortly and will melt most of it. I hope the streets dry out before the real cold settles in. Down to low teens or single digits tonight. I may try to clear the driveway later. It faces north and never melts! One trip down is all we can do, and no trips back up! Well, it's a good time for sewing, so I will get the bed made, dishes in the dishwasher, and off to the sewing room!
You will be in my prayers, Joy.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
January 29th, 2019, 11:59 AM
Good morning ladies,
It's a slow morning as I'm not planning to go anywhere today. We had about 10" of snow, the fluffy blowing type, I think we are getting more. We are now about to break all January records. Oh Monique, I am happy that you can escape to a warmer place. Sometimes I wish I was the beach type, but it's the reality when I get back I can't take.

Busy Monday. I ran errands and picked up more undergarments for mom. I tried them on her and then left them to be labelled along with a sweater I picked up last week. I also had a good massage and then we picked up DH's new wheels. We got a full course on all the buttons, gadgets and electronics. DH enjoyed his ride home, but then got busy reading the 4 manuals. This might be his last car, so he wanted to make it a good one. I see road trips in our future.

Since I've got freezer meals, I will pull out and I can go hibernate in my sewing room. I will work on the blocks from Saturday's class.

Joy- I will be thinking of you today.
Barb. - I hope Dottie feels better. It's so difficult with our fur babies when they are not well.
Terry - I hope that your MIL improves. I know that my mom did very well going to next level of care. In fact, we think she improved as she didn't have to do so much for herself - no cooking, laundry, housework, chores. Same now since her surgery. Getting dressed was exhausting. Now she is dressed and taken care of. She is happier and has energy to devote to fun activities.
Katrina - I hope that everybody's colds and sniffle improve and you don't catch anything. Wow, you are one busy grandma. What did they do before you moved to Florida?

Have a good day. Be safe. Stay warm. Stay dry.

PamelaOry
January 29th, 2019, 01:48 PM
Good Morning All.
Weather here is still unseasonably warm. Yesterday it was sunny and in the 40-50 range when I went to the doctors around five.

I’m doing the intermittent fasting diet and was encouraged by my doctors response. And yes, I can move when I take my meds around to better facilitate the timing. I really have an outstanding doctor, I’m very lucky.

I have an appeal to the federal court of appeals pending in my disability case and I stayed up last night reading the brief my attorney prepared. I have a very strong case, I’m just not sure that it will get read. I’m unclear if my case has been accepted for review or if they write these briefs for every case. I need to call my attorney today and find out. In the last appeal we did, my case was not accepted for review so no one even looked at it. It’s very frustrating, as the original judge in my case decided to disregard all medical opinions and records in determining me ineligible for benefits. Legally he can’t do that but if no one bothers to look at the case, he’ll get away with it. Our legal system is a lot of things but fair isn’t one of them.

Joy, you are in my prayers today. I hope your surgery is a success !

KPH
January 29th, 2019, 03:33 PM
Katrina - . Wow, you are one busy grandma. What did they do before you moved to Florida?

They had Morgan's grandparents, and they love every minute of it! I'm sure that's what's keeping them young!

Nana and Nandy take the kids every chance they get. While I have them for a half day, they usually leave here and go there for the rest of the day until Daddy can pick them up.

geegeequilts
January 29th, 2019, 04:37 PM
Joy, I know you mighty be a little nervous about your surgery, but you have faith in your doctor & you know we'll be doing a lot of praying for a quick recovery. Post when you can.

Gina

Rhonda K
January 29th, 2019, 10:24 PM
Good evening!

Late to the party today. Best wishes to Joy for your surgery and recovery.