PDA

View Full Version : a bit nervous

Swedish leo
January 28th, 2019, 11:36 AM
Hi

I am going on a work conference on wednesday thru thursday with my work.

Where going to Stockholm, (capital city of Sweden )

There are coworker from finland, norway and sweden !

And we are speaking english the entire time!

I am not worried that I won't understand, I am worried about my pronunciations.

It is a bit scary and exciting at the same time.

:icon_rolleyes::icon_wave:

SuzanneOrleansOntario
January 28th, 2019, 11:55 AM
How fun is that. I wouldn't worry as even here where English and French are the official languages, every area/region seems to have its own pronunciations and dialect, terminology.

Enjoy your conference. It so reminds me of when I worked and travelled the country. It was work and a lot of planning, but I loved meeting Canadians who reflected the diversity of our many cultures, food (oh they food) and traditions.

Star lover
January 28th, 2019, 12:10 PM
I’m sure everyone has their “spin” on the language. Have a great time!

Caroline T.
January 28th, 2019, 12:39 PM
As long as you have a sense of humor and can laugh at yourself when/if you mispronounce a word (or use a wrong word completely), you'll have a great time. Just remember the other people at the conference will be mispronouncing words too, and it's OK.

The English language, I'm told, is one of the hardest to learn, so I applaud you for being able to. I myself have never been able to learn another language, so I'm always impressed when someone learns English as their second language.

toggpine
January 28th, 2019, 12:48 PM
You will be just fine!
It sounds like everybody may be in the same situation. Have some fun with it!
Even though we speak it every day, we still mess it up sometimes!

Have a good trip!

Patty J
January 28th, 2019, 01:04 PM
Have a good trip and stay safe. As the above posters said, Everyone has to learn sometime and it will be a great time to practice with others who are doing the same thing. From your postings, I don't think you will have a problem. Keeping you in my thoughts.

KPH
January 28th, 2019, 01:27 PM
Have a wonderful time. I totally get the nerves. I struggle with the towns and names in the Bible with Jonathan.

PamelaOry
January 28th, 2019, 02:17 PM
Sounds like a fun work trip! Have fun and don’t worry about mispronouncing, we all do it.

Anitamae56
January 28th, 2019, 03:56 PM
What a wonderful "adventure " I am sure you will be fine. Anxious to hear how it goes.
Good luck!

Bubby
January 28th, 2019, 05:42 PM
Your English on the forum is excellent. I'm sure your pronunciation is better than you think. English is a difficult language even for those of us who were raised speaking it. Go to your conference and enjoy yourself....you will do great!

jjkaiser
January 28th, 2019, 05:57 PM
I am amazed at your excellent vocabulary on the forum. You have nothing to worry about. Have a wonderful time!!

Cokie
January 28th, 2019, 11:16 PM
I hope you have a wonderful time. If you speak as well as you write here, you'll do just fine.

KarenC
January 28th, 2019, 11:56 PM
I think you will do fine. As someone else said your English here on the forum is excellent, so you'll probably do better than you think.

Swedish leo
January 29th, 2019, 03:59 AM
Thank you all for your kind and calming word and advice !

It makes me feel better. and I will give you an report on how it was !

Have a great day/Evening

Annika

grammaterry
January 29th, 2019, 11:29 AM
You have great grammar and English in writing and I am certain this will translate to the spoken word. I was in a small island town in Mexico once and invited to a local home. The women asked me how I liked their island and I replied that it was bonito. The child in the room rolled on the floor with laughter. I had no idea what I had done wrong, thinking that bonito meant beautiful. I looked it up when I got back to the hotel. NO NO. I told them their island looked like tuna fish

tamsterg7
January 30th, 2019, 11:58 PM
Enjoy your trip and as others have said, don't worry about the English! I personally love to hear those who speak English as a second language speak. Regardless of what country they are from, I think English sounds so pretty when spoken with all the different accents, not to mention proper grammer versus slang. And I applaud anyone who can master it as a second language!

lourixe
January 31st, 2019, 05:27 PM
I am late to this discussion and hope/know everything must have been ok. I am not an English native speaker either, and neither the audience: didn't you say they came from Norway, Finland & so? All your colleagues probably make the same mistakes that you would do, or even worse ones!
It is my experience that actually mispronunciation leads to funny moments that help break the ice. I remember the first time I tried to explain in German how a special cheese from my area was processed, and as I used the wrong word, I said we made cigarettes from it!!! ("geraucht" instead of "geräuchert").