PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Sunday greetings

SuzanneOrleansOntario
January 27th, 2019, 10:19 AM
Good morning forum friends,

There's light snow falling as I sit and sip my morning coffee. I had hoped to stay indoors and catch up on household chores, but I may have to run errands and pick up staples. I want to stop by my DD to see the GKs before they go on their trip next week.

Yesterday was a quilt class with my girlfriend. As I reflect on it, I realize that the instructions were mediocre and not reflective of the quilt inspiration this teacher had designed. The instructions were confusing, although she tried to show us the process. It was log cabin hearts, but the design has two hearths. Oh well it will be a nice quilt but if I make another I will follow the EQ design sheet.

Enjoy your day. Stay warm. Stay dry and be safe.

grammaterry
January 27th, 2019, 11:28 AM
Good morning Suzanne. and all the other Sunday Morning followers. I know it is disappointing for you to have not been totally inspired by a class. I think that is a reason I really hesitate to sign up for classes. I used to take oil painting classes, but it seemed to me that some times the instructors were just people with a desire to tell me what they learned. It is fun to create with fellow creators though.
Last night DH took me out to a local auction. Ugh..nothing and I mean nothing there. We didn't stay. DH said it was sort of like going to Goodwill. I thought there was more interesting stuff at Goodwill.
Anyway, it was really nice for him to take me out and we had a nice ride. For us, getting in the truck is a two hour adventure whether we go anywhere or not. lol.
I picked out the 8000 embroider stitches that happened when my hoop came off while I was not in the room. Of course it ruined the material. I put a flower over that space but it will never be right. Oh well.
Caroline T sent me some rulers and a foot and I think I will use this quilt as a practice piece. Too bad. Seems nothing has really gone right with this one anyway.
Its in the 20's this morning. Cold. I will turn the propane on pretty soon and go try to make the best of the day.
God be with all of you.

Bubby
January 27th, 2019, 11:36 AM
Good Morning Everyone....It's been snowing here all morning. The Girls are in puppy heaven!

Jeff and I are moving slow today but I promised to make oatmeal and oatmeal we shall have. Sounds good to me. Jeff let me sleep in a little so I'm behind schedule a little.

I have a new recipe for lemon pepper chicken with fresh asparagus to try today. Will let you know if it's wonderful. It sounds easy. The only special ingredients I had to buy were the lemon pepper and asparagus. I don't keep lemon pepper on hand anymore because I seldom use it and it gets hard as a rock.

Wishing everyone a lovely Sunday...with hugs...

Mimi_Howard
January 27th, 2019, 11:45 AM
Good Morning. Dad was released from hospital on Wed and tomorrow will be our first public outing for appt at the prosthetic place. I called the RN last night and she is stopping by today to clean the wound. I couldn't do it yesterday, little too yucky for me to do right now. His healing is definitely going to be longer than normal due to his diabetes. Plus plumbing issue in his bathroom so if son can't fix today well I call a plumber. We need a working shower for him, for me I just go across street to my house to shower and change every day and do a quick check on my honey living there. Have a neighbor on standby for helping to put the wheelchair in the trunk for me. Also got the handicap hanging placard for the parking lots, thank goodness for that. Trying to rest when I can and on that note think I will go and lie back down. Don't really care for the aero bed, but I found out it beats the couch beast of his and the recliner for sleeping.

JulieC
January 27th, 2019, 12:18 PM
Happy Sunday! It's back in the sewing room to straighten up today --- I did not get to spend very much time in there yesterday. What's the saying about best laid plans?

Suzanne: Thanks for the reminder! Your post about quilting classes reminded me there's a quilting expo here in April. They just posted the classes, I took a quick look this morning to see if there's anything I would like to attend. I want to take vacation that week. My sister and I went to the show last year to look around and shop, but the classes I was interested in filled up before I could register.

We have some light snow this morning. Looks like we got enough overnight for the snow removal guys to come out. This is only the second time this winter, so I'm not going to complain. This time last year they had been out several times. We pay by the push, which can get expensive if it's a bad winter.

Time for a second cup of tea and another look at those quilting classes. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

baslp
January 27th, 2019, 12:38 PM
Good morning all—it is rather nice here. It’s already 47 degrees. I may spend some time outside with the dogs. I only have 2 more borders to sew onto my quilt then I can move onto another project.
Barb - your dinner menu sounds good. I have to decide what to make for our dinner.

Have a good day.

Beth

LauraP
January 27th, 2019, 01:39 PM
Finally got the first two rows of the first quilt put together. I am making matching twins for my niece. She picked the pattern and it is a lot of seams to match. I am making the blocks as I go. All the four blocks are together and the hst, its just getting them in the right order. If I can force myself to keep working on them, they should be done in another week or so. I am making her take the tops to the quilt shop since there is no way I have the room to spread everything out. I will post pictures when I get them done.

toggpine
January 27th, 2019, 02:10 PM
My husband has the cold thing that is going around. Although, if you ask him, it's the end of days.
I hate the man-sick. It turns fully functional, grown men into simpering, helpless lumps. Hug.

I may make it into the sewing room. Maybe.

PamelaOry
January 27th, 2019, 03:46 PM
Good morning/afternoon!

I really slept in today, didn’t get up until 9:30. My instapot meal didn’t turn out very good, the meat was rubbery. The potatoes were good though, done just right. We are going to try again tonight, this time with a roast and we’re going to follow a recipe. Here’s hoping it’s better! I think part of the problem was that I had partially frozen meat yesterday. We will see.

I’m really lacking enthusiasm to sew right now. I have three different projects I need to work on and none of them are calling my name. One of them is a wall hanging that I just need to finish quilting. I’ve done all the easy sections, now I’m not sure how to quilt the border and sky. Maybe I’ll post a picture and ask for suggestions/help.

I hope everyone has a blessed Sunday!

KarenC
January 27th, 2019, 04:03 PM
Good afternoon everyone. It's a beautiful day here today, probably in the 60s now with sunshine, I am inside doing laundry and ripping stitches in a quilt. Somehow I line it up wrong and this row is stitching over the previous row. Oh well, it could be a lot worse. I should finish quilting this top today, then need to move onto my homework for my Poppins Bag class on Tuesday. I'm not a fan of the fabric I used for pockets. It just blends, should have used a contrast. One day I'll learn. Not much else going on here besides that and work. This work thing is cutting into my quilting time, but it does help to pay the bills, and it feels good to be able to help teach the other millennials I'm working with. Hope you all have a good day.

KPH
January 27th, 2019, 04:38 PM
Good afternoon all,

Yesterday was another boo boo for grandma days. Zeke split my lip on Friday It still feels weird, but at least it looks like it's healing well. Yesterday afternoon, I took the tip off my pointer finger with the rotary cutter. I went through several Bandaids trying to get it to stop bleeding. I have it wrapped up in a finger tip bandaid and a regular bandaid to keep the fingertip bandaid on since I put neosporin on it.

I was working on a paper pieced shamrock when nipped my finger. I went back and checked, no blood on any of the piecework. Thank goodness! I decided it was time to do something else, for a while. I worked on creating some grammar work for Jonathan to do this week. No injuries to report when working with the paper slicer. Yippee for that!

Mike and I had dinner at Zaxby's, I was hungry for a good salad with no left overs to go bad. After we got back, I went back to the sewing room and managed to get a couple of more pieces ready for the shamrock. I was on the next to the last section, three pieces in when I realized I sewed the first piece on wrong side up. So, I turned everything off and left the room. It was just time to quit.

I finished the last two pieces after church this morning. Esther is sick. She was sniffling this morning when Jim took her to Nana and Nandy's. By the end of Sunday School, she needed to go home. I went with Nana and helped with Zeke and Esther while Jim, Nandy and Jonathan stayed for church. Nana and I had a really nice visit while playing with the kids. Poor Esther is so full of congestion. She would sneeze and we'd be rushing for the tissue box. Zeke was starting to sneeze before Jim got back from church. Tomorrow might be fun with those two. I'd better check my kleenex supply... and Lysol!

I've taken a small ham out for family dinner tomorrow night. I'm not sure what I'm going to serve with it, but I'll find something. I need to go to the grocery store tomorrow. I need to plan a trip to the meat market as well.

I hope everyone has a great rest of the weekend. Prayers for those in need for healing, comfort, strength, wisdom and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

chelea
January 27th, 2019, 07:34 PM
Good afternoon/evening everyone. I'm very late checking in today. Don't see a post from Joy today. Joy, if you're checking in later tonight, you're in my thoughts for a successful surgery this week. Hope all goes well and you recover quickly.
I'm all caught up with Blockheads, just working on this week's block. There are 11 to go and it will be over. Now to figure out a setting. Also still working on my string quilt. I have half the blocks done.
Tomorrow the floor company is coming to replace our stair treads/risers with hardwoods. When we moved in 20 plus years ago the stairs were carpeted (yuck) then hubs put in laminated treads and it didn't look much better. Today I prepped the banister for refinishing. Right now it's a maple color so I'm going to stain the handrail and newel post with General Finishes Java gel stain (really dark) and paint the spindles white. Nice and classic.
Hope everyone has a peaceful evening.

JCY
January 27th, 2019, 08:31 PM
Late afternoon Greetings! ~ I'm just now getting here. A busy day. Church this a.m., with a quick stop at Vit. Cot. on the way home. Only today & tomorrow to accomplish my to-do list before surgery on Tues. I normally don't do house cleaning or laundry on a Sun., but I knew I wouldn't get everything done tomorrow, so I chipped away at my list. Did 1 load of laundry, ran the vac. in part of the house, cleaned both bathrooms, & I have a big kettle of Anasazi beans on cooking. I cooked 3 bags this time, instead of the usual 2, since DH is going through them so fast. The freezer will be full!

It warmed up today & was sunny, so I shook out the bathroom rugs & hung them outside in the sun for a couple hrs. The temp. made it up to not quite 60. Then the wind came up & it dropped into the 50's Chance of snow tonight into tomorrow a.m. Not much here, but more is expected in other areas.

Yest. I finished sewing together all the blocks of the Japanese Cross & Plus, & sewed together most of the rows. Just one row to go & I can get it off the fam. rm. floor so I can vac. down there tomorrow.

It looks like DS #1 will be going back to work tomorrow now that the furlough is over. Not sure how long it will take to get his back pay.

I hope everyone has a good start to the new week.

Rhonda K
January 28th, 2019, 12:15 AM
I'm going to stain the handrail and newel post with General Finishes Java gel stain (really dark) and paint the spindles white. Nice and classic.
Hope everyone has a peaceful evening.

You will love working with the GF product. Easy to work with to get the color depth you want. It is one of my favorite re-finishing products.

Good Evening, Busy day here with a ruler class. Hopefully, with practice it will go easier.