PDA

View Full Version : Baby it is cold outside!

Astatoo
January 26th, 2019, 01:00 PM
Current temp is -15. Now why do I not have a binding to do, a nice big quilt puddled on my lap would be perfect. Lower temps predicted for next week so maybe I need to complete a quilt or even two and leave the binding for when the colder temps hit. Down to the sewing room for me now. Stay warm everyone.

Carlie Wolf
January 26th, 2019, 01:07 PM
I took a look at the projected temps for the end of next week/early Feb. OMG, I'm going to hate that.

I'm catching up on some of the embroidery I've been wanting to get done :-) So I should have things to get sewn into blocks by next week

jjkaiser
January 26th, 2019, 06:24 PM
Yeah tell me about it, it is 16 in Wisconsin right now but colder air is on the way. Expecting 10 inches of snow Mon-Tues then high temps 8 below zero. The grocery store was mobbed today, I think I got the last parking place. I have lots of quilty stuff lined up. Boy it feels good to be freshly retired and not have to go out in the cold and snow next week!

Patty J
January 26th, 2019, 09:32 PM
jjKaiser, I didn't see that you retired, Congrats. I have several projects lined up for the next week, so that should be fun. But it will be super cold here in SE Wisconsin, I went to the grocery today with my sister and the whole store was crazy--even at the checkout the clerks were very frazzled. One customer was in the 15 or less checkout with a Full Cart--Full of 2L bottles of soda no less.. Thought about sending him to a regular checkout, but not worth the effort and I'm not sure he could understand English--Had trouble communicating with the clerk. Oh well, we went to a regular check out with only 1 person in front of us and were ready to leave before that man was even finished.

grammaterry
January 26th, 2019, 09:50 PM
Whoa, sounds like your cold beats my cold. But, my theory is once it hits 20...its cold. We went out tonight to an auction we heard about not too far. We came back in a hour because it was all just Chinese junk items. Nothing we would take for free. ha ha.
Haven't been to a store for a couple of weeks but I bet ours are mobbed too. I try to keep plenty of food on hand so we don't have to go.

KarenC
January 26th, 2019, 10:51 PM
Once it hits 20 it cold? Oh no, I guess it's good I live in the south, I can deal with 40s (which I think is cold), but below that, it's COLDDDDDDDD.

Astatoo
January 26th, 2019, 11:39 PM
Karen, here in NE Wisconsin temps are predicted to be around -30 windchill next week Tues. & Wed. Plenty of quilting supplies to keep me busy but may have to have hubby stop for bread, eggs and milk on Monday. I am dreaming of it warming up to 20!

Kgrammiecaz
January 27th, 2019, 12:45 AM
Oh heck no. 50 is cold to me. 40 I am freezing lol. I was a Jersey girl but never again.

MillieS
January 27th, 2019, 08:20 AM
I'm in South Central Wi and when I woke up yesterday (Saturday) our temp was -23. Between 6 PM today thru 6 PM Monday we are suppose get 12 inches snow. Tuesday and Wednesday highs are suppose to be well below zero. Heard on the radio that we are breaking temp records. Coldest it's been in 25 years.

Carol336
January 27th, 2019, 10:23 AM
Beth - I'd be happy to send you my quilt to bind. I'ts been back from the longarmer for at least 2 months and still not bound.

JulieC
January 27th, 2019, 10:48 AM
We're expecting near record lows later this week -- the high on Wednesday might not reach 0! Wind chills could go as low as -30. BRRR! We should have some school closings Wednesday and maybe Thursday (high will be 3 degrees). If it gets cold enough, my employer may close. Who doesn't love a snow day?

Stay warm and safe!

Walhger
January 31st, 2019, 09:57 PM
I'm in South Central Wi and when I woke up yesterday (Saturday) our temp was -23. Between 6 PM today thru 6 PM Monday we are suppose get 12 inches snow. Tuesday and Wednesday highs are suppose to be well below zero. Heard on the radio that we are breaking temp records. Coldest it's been in 25 years.

That's totally cold. We'll be driving next week to IL for a family event. Just got to make sure the truck is fully prepared. I got the rack, premium tonneau cover (https://4wheelonline.com/Premium-Tonneau-Covers.222468) and a new set of tires ordered and get installed. The kids are too excited about the snow.

LauraP
January 31st, 2019, 11:18 PM
That's totally cold. We'll be driving next week to IL for a family event. Just got to make sure the truck is fully prepared. I got the rack, premium tonneau cover and a new set of tires ordered and get installed. The kids are too excited about the snow.

Please remember a heavy blanket, water and food, extra mittens and socks for each person. Also a shovel and a bag of kitty litter in case you get stuck in the snow. You don't say where you are from so I don't know if you are used to cold.

jjkaiser
February 1st, 2019, 01:51 AM
I live in SE Wisconsin and boy has it been cold here. I think the actual temp was 25 below and with the wind chill it was around 40 below. It's like walking around inside a freezer. We got about 14 inches of snow Monday before the subzero temps set in. Businesses and and many restaurants were closed including many bars. (There's a corner tap about every 4 blocks here in Milwaukee.) One of my dau works at Amazon and they even closed for one day!! No mail delivery or garbage pickup all week and no school. Lots of people had frozen water pipes and/or cars that wouldn't start. There's so much snow piled up on roofs it's scary. Tomorrow it is supposed to get to 20 degrees, that's 40 degrees warmer than it has been so I am ready to do the happy dance. I haven't left the house all week but I sure got lots of sewing done! I hope this polar vortex is gone for good and not going to be hitting you folks on the east coast. So stay warm everyone. Hopefully the worst of winter is behind us.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
February 1st, 2019, 11:22 AM
That's totally cold. We'll be driving next week to IL for a family event. Just got to make sure the truck is fully prepared. I got the rack, premium tonneau cover and a new set of tires ordered and get installed. The kids are too excited about the snow.

Please remember a heavy blanket, water and food, extra mittens and socks for each person. Also a shovel and a bag of kitty litter in case you get stuck in the snow. You don't say where you are from so I don't know if you are used to cold.

If you can get hand warmers to slip in your mitts and boots. Also bring some Purell, rags and candles/matches. If you are caught in snow drift, remember not to keep the car running, unless you are certain that your exhaust fumes (carbon monoxide) won't come back into the car. This has been fatal in many cases where people are stranded on highways. Safe travels.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
February 1st, 2019, 11:23 AM
It's sooo cold, but we are used to this. Many of our neighbours south of the border are not. Be prepared for the worst if you brave the weather. Watch out for warmer weather after cold snaps as this can leave the roads covered in black ice.