PDA

View Full Version : Friday Trivia: Waywiser

Star lover
January 25th, 2019, 08:04 AM
A waywiser is a surveyor's instrument used to measure linear distance. (You could call it a surveyor's wheel or a clickwheel, but waywiser sounds much more colorful.)

A wheel of a fixed size is connected to a pole with a gauge attached. As the surveyor rolls the waywiser along the surface of the land, the gauge counts the wheel's revolutions to determine the distance it's traveled.

The name comes from the German words for "to show the way."

Today’s instruments use GPS, satellite imaging and remote sensing. More accurate, but not as cool looking!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
January 25th, 2019, 11:14 AM
Thanks for this trivia.

I'm way wiser for this. Sorry could not resist.

Star lover
January 25th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Thanks for this trivia.

I'm way wiser for this. Sorry could not resist.

My pleasure! And I wondered how long it would take before some “bit” and saw the irony! You win!

GuitarGramma
January 25th, 2019, 01:03 PM
Another fascinating post, Anita. And I have to admit that I didn't hear the cleverness of the name. Suzanne definitely wins!

geegeequilts
January 25th, 2019, 03:33 PM
Alright Suzanne, first Anita and now you. You guys crack me up!

Gina

justLyn
January 25th, 2019, 03:46 PM
Today's instruments don't have as colorful names, either!

PamelaOry
January 25th, 2019, 04:22 PM
Lol! Funny group.

MSN
January 26th, 2019, 01:18 AM
This technology is still in use. I see physical therapists at the hospital rolling one of these down the hall to measure how far a patient is able to walk.

KPH
January 26th, 2019, 10:52 AM
I had a plastic one that the kids would use to measure from place to place in the school. I guess with security being what it is now, it's probably sitting in some lonely closet somewhere not getting used at all.