PDA

View Full Version : Not a Quilt, But Fabric Related

GuitarGramma
January 17th, 2019, 08:51 PM
As many of you know, my "other" hobby is Superman.157165
In particular, I run the website for the man who played Superman on Broadway in 1966, Bob Holiday (RIP).

I almost lost the site two years ago, when the company Bob had hired to host the site went out of business. I was able to save all the files, but rebuilding is taking quite a while. At this point, I'm posting a new or re-built page every Thursday.

This week's site update combined my two favorite hobbies: Superman and Fabric. Enjoy!
http://www.supermanbobholiday.com/BroadwayMemories/7BWYmacy.htm

KPH
January 17th, 2019, 09:27 PM
That's so cool!

grammaterry
January 17th, 2019, 10:38 PM
Our forum members have such a ripe history and so many varied interests. Good to know about you.
As many of you know, my "other" hobby is Superman.157165
In particular, I run the website for the man who played Superman on Broadway in 1966, Bob Holiday (RIP).

I almost lost the site two years ago, when the company Bob had hired to host the site went out of business. I was able to save all the files, but rebuilding is taking quite a while. At this point, I'm posting a new or re-built page every Thursday.

This week's site update combined my two favorite hobbies: Superman and Fabric. Enjoy!
http://www.supermanbobholiday.com/BroadwayMemories/7BWYmacy.htm

jjkaiser
January 17th, 2019, 11:06 PM
Wow GG what an interesting sideline! I suppose you have a huge stash of Superman fabric you are hoarding too?! I think he was the original Super Hero, so you picked a good one.

GuitarGramma
January 18th, 2019, 12:35 AM
Wow GG what an interesting sideline! I suppose you have a huge stash of Superman fabric you are hoarding too?! I think he was the original Super Hero, so you picked a good one.
Ohhhh, yes! I buy Superman fabric every time I find some.

I'd seen the Broadway show as a kid, and four decades later found Bob's website and wrote him a fan letter. It was just about the time that Superman Returns hit the big screen, so we wrote back and forth during that time. Eventually I realized that Bob's website was never being updated; Bob verified that he'd paid a friend to build it, but that no one was updating it.

"I have a computer science degree. Would you like me to take over your website?" I asked. "I'd love that," he replied. And thus began a more than a decade of collaboration with my childhood hero. I called Bob weekly for the last decade of his life and became good friends with his daughter. She even invited me to her wedding, and we remain good friends to this day.

One of the first things I did for Bob was to sew a BBQ apron for him. In his autobiography, he mentioned he'd wanted to keep the costume but that Broadway union rules prohibited actors doing so. I figured this was the next best thing. https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36275&d=1357685029

nativetexan
January 18th, 2019, 01:49 AM
Oh that apron is adorable. i'm sure he loved it. hopefully got a lot of use out of it too. He's happy and you did a good thing.

Monique
January 18th, 2019, 08:42 AM
WOW Toni, that is pretty amazing.

Rhonda K
January 18th, 2019, 09:13 AM
Thanks for sharing your special memories of a loved hero!

geegeequilts
January 18th, 2019, 03:56 PM
Ain't no one more super that Superman!

Gina

GuitarGramma
January 18th, 2019, 04:22 PM
Thank you, everyone. While Bob's death left a Krypton-sized hole in my life, it's kind of been a blessing to re-build his website. I feel like I'm helping to keep his legacy alive.